Crossroads Closing

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Crossroads Closing

Post by Fancy »

The government may have already provided some funding. There may have been grants available.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Oneeye

Post by Oneeye »

This is a facility that is important and needed in the community. It has served Kelowna well for 37 years so I don't understand how it has suddenly found itself in a position where it cannot continue. We can't keep closing facilities like the Drop In Centre, the Woman's Shelter and now Crossroads and the people who need these places will continue to need our help regardless. Let's cut some of those high-salaried IH positions and put the money towards where it's really needed.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Oneeye wrote:This is a facility that is important and needed in the community. It has served Kelowna well for 37 years so I don't understand how it has suddenly found itself in a position where it cannot continue. We can't keep closing facilities like the Drop In Centre, the Woman's Shelter and now Crossroads and the people who need these places will continue to need our help regardless. Let's cut some of those high-salaried IH positions and put the money towards where it's really needed.

Why should people lose their jobs or take wage cuts?
Why not have the users contribute even a token amount for the services they receive or have those that want so desperately want the facilities to remain open fund them through donation?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

You keep harping on the "user pay" aspect cv23. How about doing the math on the money saved/gained by getting someone off the social support system and back into the ranks of gainfully employed, tax-paying citizens?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

cv23 wrote:Why should people lose their jobs or take wage cuts?
Why not have the users contribute even a token amount for the services they receive or have those that want so desperately want the facilities to remain open fund them through donation?

Because they are over paid and under perform. . . . it's really simple. For anyone who has to deal with IHA for any matter like this knows frustration. IHA is a large money wasting pit of entitled do nothings. All education and no common sense or street smarts. Centres like Crossroads are mandatory in a community of our size and needs to be saved. Getting into financial trouble is understandable when you're dealing with a variety of issues and management structures that exist in Non profits. Recovery is not just about getting sober. It's about getting sober, getting treatment to stay sober, and getting support once you leave the program so it doesn't revolve. I am not sure what all the posters on this site think will happen to the individuals who rely on this program when the doors close? Back on the streets. We're in for a whole lot more headaches when it does close, and believe me IHA and their power suit administrators could care less. IHA has to go or be rethought and restructured so it meets its mandate and actually provides suitable services for the billions spent. It's a huge waste of money, full of self important do nothings.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

-fluffy- wrote:You keep harping on the "user pay" aspect cv23. How about doing the math on the money saved/gained by getting someone off the social support system and back into the ranks of gainfully employed, tax-paying citizens?

The math has been done and this facility is bleeding red ink.

Hey I'm just offering suggestions to save this "much needed" facility.
What ideas have you and others proposed other than increasing taxes for everyone, cutting peoples wages or taking away their jobs?
Last edited by cv23 on Jan 16th, 2013, 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Mtn Biker wrote:Because they are over paid and under perform. . . . it's really simple. For anyone who has to deal with IHA for any matter like this knows frustration. IHA is a large money wasting pit of entitled do nothings. All education and no common sense or street smarts. Centres like Crossroads are mandatory in a community of our size and needs to be saved. Getting into financial trouble is understandable when you're dealing with a variety of issues and management structures that exist in Non profits. Recovery is not just about getting sober. It's about getting sober, getting treatment to stay sober, and getting support once you leave the program so it doesn't revolve. I am not sure what all the posters on this site think will happen to the individuals who rely on this program when the doors close? Back on the streets. We're in for a whole lot more headaches when it does close, and believe me IHA and their power suit administrators could care less. IHA has to go or be rethought and restructured so it meets its mandate and actually provides suitable services for the billions spent. It's a huge waste of money, full of self important do nothings.

Sorry to disappoint you but these facilities are not mandatory.
Do you realize that if it wasn't for IH (government) funding this facility would never have even opened?
As I've said before, if you and others feel so strongly about saving this facility why aren't you writing them cheques?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

cv23 wrote:Hey I'm just offering suggestions to save this "much needed" facility.
What ideas have you and others proposed other than increasing taxes for everyone, cutting peoples wages or taking away their jobs?

The money shortage is a short term thing, funding needed in the here and now that will in the long run reap a profit in reduction of social support and increases in the tax base. The fifty million the Liberals just spent patting themselves on the back would have gone a long way to keep Crossroads and other facilities like it functioning. I suspect the government depends on people to look down their noses at the disenfranchised and not make any noise over this sort of cut-back, but in the long run it will result in even greater tax increases, wage cuts and job loss. If you look at it from a pay-a-little-now-or-pay-a-lot-later perspective it makes sense to just cut them a cheque.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

-fluffy- wrote:. If you look at it from a pay-a-little-now-or-pay-a-lot-later perspective it makes sense to just cut them a cheque.

So do your part and get out your pen and chequebook.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Money I don't got, time I do. I volunteer extensively in an alcohol recovery program and have done so for years. Having once been there myself (alcoholic twenty years in recovery) I'm unable to turn my back on the issue with the apparent ease that you do.

The measure of a society is in how it treats its weakest members.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

-fluffy- wrote:Money I don't got, time I do. I volunteer extensively in an alcohol recovery program and have done so for years. Having once been there myself (alcoholic twenty years in recovery) I'm unable to turn my back on the issue with the apparent ease that you do.

The measure of a society is in how it treats its weakest members.

Very commendable to hear you volunteer and give back in some way. If all those who had received treatment at such facilities gave back even as volunteers it would be doubtful the facility would be in the state it is. You are the only one posting here to save Crossroads which actually does care enough to do something more than flap off in an internet forum.
:124:

It would be very interesting to see how many of those demanding the facility be saved have even taken the time to send letters of support for Crossroads to IH or how many who have the means have actually sent in donations. I bet there isn't even one.

If all of you who are so upset about the closing why don't you actually do something, like Fluffy, to try and save it?

I have not turned my back at all but am the only one making constructive suggestions to help save the facility. You contribute to alcohol treatment because it has touched your life. I make a sizeable annual donation to the Cancer society because it has touched my life. Myself I would rather see more money directed to cancer treatment but i don't scream to have people lose their jobs or take wage cuts to see it happen, I do the right thing and put my money where my mouth is.
Last edited by cv23 on Jan 16th, 2013, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

(claps for Fluffy :) my husband is 15 yrs sober and life got so much better for us too) and Crossroads closing is being brought up at all his AA meetings...everyone is very concerned how bad this will be...and CV it seems that maybe you have been rather lucky that addiciton hasn't touched nor effected your life...but it a real ugly thing that's alive and well...and yes my hubby's groups are seriously finding ways to help not close it, and you would be surprised how many members there are in Addiction Groups....
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

cv23 wrote:
Sorry to disappoint you but these facilities are not mandatory.
Do you realize that if it wasn't for IH (government) funding this facility would never have even opened?
As I've said before, if you and others feel so strongly about saving this facility why aren't you writing them cheques?

I do write cheques and volunteer and I pay for these facilities with my tax dollars. My point is that IHA is a money pit and until they get a hold on their shotty management practices, facilities like cross roads will continue to be closed so the executives of IHA can cash their bonuses and get better pay cheques. When the ED of IHA has a $300K a year pay cheque, something is wrong. That's point one. Second, you are potentially delusional if you think facilities like Crossroads are not mandatory in our society. They are, have always been, and will always be. As long as there is alcohol, their will be a need for treatment. They go hand in hand. I see your point, you feel superior and not affected by the same fate as those who require a program like Crossroads and therefore conclude they are not needed. As pointed out in another post on this thread, until you are directly affected you won't understand why it's so important, and continue to make comments that support your position, but are not based on reality. I hope for a better world and community and Crossroads is a big part of that picture. What do you hope for?
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Mtn Biker wrote:
I do write cheques and volunteer and I pay for these facilities with my tax dollars. My point is that IHA is a money pit and until they get a hold on their shotty management practices, facilities like cross roads will continue to be closed so the executives of IHA can cash their bonuses and get better pay cheques. When the ED of IHA has a $300K a year pay cheque, something is wrong. That's point one. Second, you are potentially delusional if you think facilities like Crossroads are not mandatory in our society. They are, have always been, and will always be. As long as there is alcohol, their will be a need for treatment. They go hand in hand. I see your point, you feel superior and not affected by the same fate as those who require a program like Crossroads and therefore conclude they are not needed. As pointed out in another post on this thread, until you are directly affected you won't understand why it's so important, and continue to make comments that support your position, but are not based on reality. I hope for a better world and community and Crossroads is a big part of that picture. What do you hope for?

You seem to have the words mandatory and essential or beneficial confused with one another
I in no way feel superior and unlike you all my comments are constructive and based on reality. I have never encouraged the closing of any healthcare facility and actually do something to help them by making cash donations to a branch of healthcare in order to affect change for the better. Other than pay taxes, which most of us also do anyway, hope/pray for change, and flap here what do you do to affect change at Crossroads which is obviously a facility/cause you say you care about? The issue at Crossroads is purely financial so put your money where your mouth is and become part of the solution
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I still maintain that the cost of not treating these people is greater than the cost of treating them. Many who attend these centers do so as a last resort, having lost just about everything, socially, financially and emotionally. Why not give them a leg up on a second chance at life? Our system certainly does a lot more for people whose need is not as great.

Return to “Central Okanagan”