Crossroads Closing

johnhenry
Übergod

Re: Crossroads Closing

Post by johnhenry »

Queen K wrote:Um, JohnHenry, the dealers got the money from addicts. That's how I got my logic, the addicts money into the dealer hands, whom are busted and now the (addicts) money is sitting doing nothing but used as evidence. And where does it go?

I think we are on the same page anyways.

Agreed
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

so, any idea why they are/were in the red? :137:

Was there any way to forestall this, like maybe cutting back on beds offered? I know there is demand, but wouldn't it have been better to limit supply instead of closing altogether?
I haven't failed until I quit.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Lady tehMa wrote:so, any idea why they are/were in the red? :137:

Was there any way to forestall this, like maybe cutting back on beds offered? I know there is demand, but wouldn't it have been better to limit supply instead of closing altogether?

If they are being paid per bed then that would just reduce their income even more.
Might make more sense to increase the beds and reduce costs per bed.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

alcohol is a weakness .how about hard labour for boozers to pay for their bed ,dig ditches till they dry out.not luxury resorts
Peace be with you.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Hmm, just realized this:

"HEU represents about 45 workers at Crossroads including LPNs, night attendants dietary staff, housekeepers, clerical workers, and maintenance staff"

Union. Pay more for less productive workers.

I think the problem has now been identified.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
rutland1
Board Meister

Post by rutland1 »

In your head only.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Rwede wrote:Hmm, just realized this:

"HEU represents about 45 workers at Crossroads including LPNs, night attendants dietary staff, housekeepers, clerical workers, and maintenance staff"

Union. Pay more for less productive workers.

I think the problem has now been identified.

Duh
Why do you think Crossroads faced such stiff competition for their pay beds?
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

yes the beds were quite hard to get even if u payed . place was always full when i tried to bring ppl there
think about 40 a day to someone who might have been spending thousands a day on a habit 40 a day is peanuts . think of the rest of your life and how that few dollars spent at crossroads saved u millions . however crossroads is just the dry out portion . to truly beat addiction lifestyle changes r required
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I was wondering how long it would take before the union bashing began. Five pages, not bad.

I have an idea. Let's ask highly trained, skilled addiction workers to work for $12 bux/hour, no benefits, to work with highly vulnerable people who may or may not be there due to their own volition, and may or may not be stable.

I'm sure that will elicit lots of resumes from the most highly qualified. Or qualified at any rate.
Last edited by Queen K on Jan 10th, 2013, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

I agree...dealing with Addicts (some with mental illness)is not an easy job and calls for very Quailfied people. And asking an addict to do hard labour is ???? Addiction is a part of our Society and is not going away...
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

There is no correlation between union membership and highly-skilled people. No one is disputing the fact that people with a certain skillset are required for this kind of work.

The problem that is a common theme among support homes is that the union ones end up with "funding challenges" and threats of closure, which is rarely heard of in the non-union sector.

It's unlikely wage levels for the workers is the issue in CR's case. The issues are union interference in the operations and the resulting inherent lack of productivity with union workplaces. Most non-union professionals make far more money than union ones, as they are able to be paid for the value that their employer receives from their work, rather than being dragged into the mediocrity of the union pay scale. People on mediocre union pay scales gravitate to mediocre productivity, especially with the "union protection" mantra that allows that slide.

Productivity is the main issue with unions, and it's well known that union workers are less productive than non-union workers. Maintaining CR's pay scale and having a more productive non-union workforce would alleviate many of their financial woes, IMO.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

News Article wrote:Plans to help defray costs by providing 30 self pay/privately funded treatments beds at its three facilities had not worked out as they were not in heavy demand and faced stiff competition from other "spa-like" private treatment facilities both here and in other parts of the province, said Sanderson

Gotta wonder why these other "spa-like treatment facilities" are so much more in demand and keeping their heads above water when Crossroads is wallowing in massive debt and projecting future losses? They obviously tried to go head to head with the competition but must not have been providing services equal in conditions or success to their for profit competition.
crysmom

Post by crysmom »

I see people suggesting removing the union and paying the same wages, and that will result in higher productivity. While I don't care if its a union or non union place, the union does provide a safety net.

First of all this isn't an area where you can work faster to get the job done, you are working with people, people who need time to open who need someone to stop and listen to them this isn't accomplished by working faster or harder.
And I see Cross roads has cited employee safety as an issue that needed to be addressed. I know nurses that worked there, who were very uncomfortable doing the night shift as they were alone. With all the detox clients and they (the nurse) were the ones with access to prescription drugs. They felt unsafe and at risk as a result the shift was hard to fill. Likely resulting in paying overtime to the few who were comfortable working alone which would only compound the financial woes.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

no the other spa like places r quite a bit nicer . but u get what u pay for . some ppl dont have 15k when they r looking to dry out
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

You know, it's pretty obvious why places like cross roads are forced to close, people are bleeping idiots. Reading this thread proves it. Unions? Pay money back? I'm so *bleep* ashamed to have some of you as neighbours and you are the biggest reason the problems are as significant as they, you're ignorant know it alls that know absolutely nothing.

*bleep* I hate people, might as well be living back in Roman times and applaud gladiator games you *bleep* Neanderthals.

Return to “Central Okanagan”