Kelowna worst in Canada for drunk driving rates

Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Kelowna worst in Canada for drunk driving rates

Post by Catz »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:i'm with you kibbs,
making the public aware of people that have been convicted is very important, and in my mind under utilized/prioritized.

piece, every teen in kelowna or anywhere that makes that walk home successfully without being victimized, or succumbing to conditions, is fortunate. no one should have to make that walk though.

:ohmygod: get a grip...there are teens that face way more issues than this. Nice spin.
'Oh...the walk...oh the braveness...oh...the horror...give me a break.
Talk to a teen facing bullying, cancer or medical issues, family issues...now that is a problem.
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

Hopefully then, by the time you were an adult and operating a car

You can operate a car at 16 you can not drink legally until u are 18/19 depending in the province
U missed the point
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

GoStumpy wrote:Half of us are hypocrites that say don't drive after a few drinks, yet we still do ourselves.

http://www.drinkinganddriving.org/lesso ... t-bac.html

I know that I never drive without having at least one hour per drink before driving... if I'm at the bar for two hours, I will not have more than two drinks... if I'm there for a third hour, I'll have a third drink... but if I'm having more than one drink per hour, I will not be driving.

That's pretty simple, no?

You must be fun to go out with.. Do u have a timer go off every 1 hour
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:i'm with you kibbs,
making the public aware of people that have been convicted is very important, and in my mind under utilized/prioritized.

piece, every teen in kelowna or anywhere that makes that walk home successfully without being victimized, or succumbing to conditions, is fortunate. no one should have to make that walk though.

There you go taking my post out of context, which you seem to have a talent for. I was responding to someone else who said they walked home as a teen because they hadn't made plans for a ride. If you actually read my posts you would know that I am an advocate of parents/friends giving rides or of having some money set aside for the cost of a taxi.
Again, the subject of this thread is about impaired drivers in Kelowna. The majority of those impaired drivers are not teens, they are people well into their adulthood.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

mikett744 wrote:You must be fun to go out with.. Do u have a timer go off every 1 hour

haha, what are you insinuating? Assuming I am counting the minutes? It's pretty simple to not drink more than one per hour... DON'T CHUG YOUR BEER! It lasts an hour pretty easily...

And yes, I am fun to go out with, thanks for the assumption :) I'll also assume you had no sarcasm in your post as well!
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

thanks kibbs,

that example is very much to my point of 'walking drunk is not a viable option'.

the system is set up to criminalize us, not facilitate or take care of us.

i was thinking you would be fun to go out with stumpy :)
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

My neighbor, my father, and myself ALL tell our friends that if they need a ride home no matter what the time, call me.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:it is quite telling, that i can direct questions to so many people, and not receive answers, yet still receive replies :)

It is quite telling, that I can direct a question to you and not receive an answer. :spinball:
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

kibbs wrote:A co worker had gone out for a few drinks ,knowing he had too much decided to weave home on foot .A female member pulled over and asked 'what he was doing?' He said he was drunk and walking home.Threw up his arms and said at least Im not driving, She threw him in the tank .Fathers day morning his kids, went to give him presents ,but he wasn't there.true story

I say that's a work of fiction! There's a lot more to the story, if it even happened. Would be nice to hear the RCMP member's version. And if you are picked up drunk, you are generally released as soon as you sober up...which would have given "Mr. Upstanding-and-Walking Citizen" ample time to get home for his presents.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:the system is set up to criminalize us, not facilitate or take care of us.

Simple solution to this... if your planing to drink, than don't drive. Instead plan ahead ask a friend or family member to be your DD.

Why should my tax dollars go to babysit you..... for not thinking ahead.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

GoStumpy wrote:My neighbor, my father, and myself ALL tell our friends that if they need a ride home no matter what the time, call me.

My DH and I are the same. We would cheerfully get out of bed to rescue family or friends. So far I've only had one call when one of my kids was 20. I've had to do roust myself from my warm bed a couple times when someone needed to go to ER and needed childcare (which is another topic, but something I let neighbours know I am willing to do should they need to rush off to KGH with one of the adults in the home or one of the children.) I would do the same for them if they needed an occasional ride home from a bar.
It just happens that pretty much everyone I know makes plans for when they are going to be drinking before they go out.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:piece,
what i am suggesting/advocating is a solution, for everyone. there needs to be a system/service in place to facilitate those people that are impaired and need a ride.

smoke, asking my age is a violation of the forum rules i believe.

There IS a solution for everyone. Teach and practice responsibility and accountability! Figure out how to have fun without getting hammered. Unless you are completely wasted, you can still make good choices. Lots of people have a few and then realize they shouldn't drive and hand over their keys to someone else or arrange a way home. There is a taxi system in place to facilitate those who are impaired and need a ride. Families and friends develop their own systems, as some have mentioned on this forum. The government can't take care of every aspect of our lives.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

excellent point kibbs,
cabs are not a solution for everyone. the private business has the right to deny service.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I'm of the mind that there should be some level of responsibility placed on licensees to see to the safety of their customers, customers whose judgement and abilities may be impaired due to alcohol service from which the licensee has profited. The law says that licensees (and their staff) bear legal responsibility in cases where the customer has been obviously over-served, in reality where is the difference when the customer has been served only to the point mild impairment, but still impaired in the eyes of the law?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:these so called "laws" that condemn and penalize people for doing nothing more than drinking alcohol are tools of the pretenders, the so called "government". the holidays and other occasions are specifically used to inflict more harm on the undeserving, to instill fear and reinforce the false power the "government" and rcmp hold over society.
i do not doubt kibbs story, it is exactly the sort of thing they do.

You can legally all the alcohol you want. You just can not legally drive while impaired.

Return to “Central Okanagan”