Kelowna worst in Canada for drunk driving rates

Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Kelowna worst in Canada for drunk driving rates

Post by Piecemaker »

-fluffy- wrote:I'm of the mind that there should be some level of responsibility placed on licensees to see to the safety of their customers, customers whose judgement and abilities may be impaired due to alcohol service from which the licensee has profited. The law says that licensees (and their staff) bear legal responsibility in cases where the customer has been obviously over-served, in reality where is the difference when the customer has been served only to the point mild impairment, but still impaired in the eyes of the law?

By law they do bear certain resposibility. But practically, how would that be accomplished for all levels of impairment? I agree that sometimes people should be cut-off from being served. It's difficult to ensure that everyone gets home safely. How many patrons are in there in a busy drinking establishment or restaurant? If I say I am not driving and I have a ride, is it their responsibility to ensure I am not lying and stagger down the street to drive my own vehicle? If you don't have your car with you when you go out to drink, you can't drive it home while impaired.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Read back a few pages and you mentioned that you like to drive, among other things, when you are drunk. Since the topic of this thread is drivng on public streets while impaired, any one with half a brain (or half drunk) would think you enjoyed driving on public streets while drunk. When you were called on it then you said you meant driving around in your yard. Now you admit you have driven while drunk! How much else of what you post is false?
Obviously, it is worthless to converse with you if there is no integrity and good intention behind your posts.
You want a solution...BE part of the solution instead of part of the problem!

Please comment with regard to context, do not just pull a few words out of a post to argue about.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote: wel and thus certainly against the rules..

I don't care about rules. It's a rule I don't need to obey. The government should do something about that rule. It's just a scam.
Even by the so called laws we are allowed to do it. It's dangerous and I would not advise anyone to do it. It is however of no legal consequences.
Is it against the rule to use sarcasm ? Well ... I don't care about the rules. It's a rule I ..............
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:driving is not a privilege gord.

Yes, it is.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Planning to drink until you can't drive? Plan a ride home

Drank more than you planned? Call a cab.

How is it any more complicated than that?
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

I'm going to open this thread. I've deleted a lot of posts. Some comments might not make sense. In future please report the "trolling". A lot of you kept replying to the comments thus derailing the thread even more.
Any off topic comments will result in a 7- day ban.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

i went to city hall several yrs ago trying to start a designated driver company here .

they make it so difficult i threw in the towel . i would have had to go to the rcmp for some part of being licensed to do that. as if i would go into the police station for any reason . unless they bring me im not going in there .

it is reasons like this that kelowna has such a problem
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

theyeti wrote:i went to city hall several yrs ago trying to start a designated driver company here .

they make it so difficult i threw in the towel . i would have had to go to the rcmp for some part of being licensed to do that. as if i would go into the police station for any reason . unless they bring me im not going in there .

it is reasons like this that kelowna has such a problem

Yes, you need to go to the RCMP in order to obtain your chauffeurs permit. Every cabbie and limo driver in Kelowna has to do that. It involves a Criminal Record check, a police history check and a driving history check. If you didn't want to go through all that like every other cabbie in town then I guess you didn't really want to fire up that DD company after all.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

not after they told me that i didnt
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

How to be responsible would be to arrange a ride ahead of time, have enough funds left over to pay for a cab or have a few friends over. There are options to drink but not drive.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Just speculating her but having been around back in the day when Calgary was indeed a cow town , there was an attitude about drinking and driving that was casual to say the least. People got pulled over for sure but in a lot of cases, were either given the option of calling someone to come and get them or simply told to take it easy and drive carefully without ever determining the level of alcohol intake.

It happened to me and many of my friends as well as my parents friends. There was a small town feel and as I said, the attitude was much more casual.

It's not like that anymore in Calgary and hasn't been for a long time because it is now a city all grownup and the attitude has changed. Law enforcement is very active in getting drunks off the road and people in general are thinking that it isn't worth the risk because the probability of getting caught is much, much higher and there are real punishments associated with a criminal charge.

Flash forward to Kelowna and I think that what we are seeing is a similar attitude to what it used to be like in Calgary. We who have been here for 20 or more years tend to think that Kelowna, West Kelowna etc. are still small towns and the attitude is maybe more relaxed than it ought to be.

Kelowna is trying hard to grow up and to be looked upon as a big town with big town thinking and infrastructure but you don't shake the dust of small town BC off your boots that easily.

Just my thoughts.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

kibbs wrote:
A co worker had gone out for a few drinks ,knowing he had too much decided to weave home on foot .A female member pulled over and asked 'what he was doing?' He said he was drunk and walking home.Threw up his arms and said at least Im not driving, She threw him in the tank .Fathers day morning his kids, went to give him presents ,but he wasn't there.true story

I say that's a work of fiction! There's a lot more to the story, if it even happened. Would be nice to hear the RCMP member's version. And if you are picked up drunk, you are generally released as soon as you sober up...which would have given "Mr. Upstanding-and-Walking Citizen" ample time to get home for his presents.
Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.

It was implied this story a work of fiction, from my end it was not .Because he planned to walk all the way to glenmore he was taken into custody for his own safety.Is this impossible? He did walk home in the morning .A long walk of shame.
My comment was aired on CBC that Walter was going to spin it like hiring more police was the reason and that Kelowna has deep drinking culture.
Peace be with you.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

If one is going to drink until they can barely stand up then maybe they should rethink going out in public.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

people drink till they cant drive at home go to the bar at 11 and be served till they puke.then shoved into a cab to cya.This town needs more to do then drink.Why is there not a high end non alcohol dance club ?Most people are just looking for a place to experience their drugs .Virgin drinks are cheaper to make and you can charge the same without a liquor license.
Peace be with you.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

kibbs wrote:people drink till they cant drive at home go to the bar at 11 and be served till they puke.then shoved into a cab to cya.This town needs more to do then drink.Why is there not a high end non alcohol dance club ?Most people are just looking for a place to experience their drugs .Virgin drinks are cheaper to make and you can charge the same without a liquor license.

Been tried - didn't work.

Return to “Central Okanagan”