Kelowna worst in Canada for drunk driving rates

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Kelowna worst in Canada for drunk driving rates

Post by Fancy »

Parents taking their kids out on their 19th birthday means nothing - kids were drinking long before that. The point is getting the numbers down and it is possible as people can learn and have. It's just some have to learn the harder way and confiscating vehicles and stiffer fines is a start.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

the laws are already there.its the drinking culture is the root of excess. Walter grey may call rutcity hooterville but right now to the rest of the world we are looking like skid row.
Peace be with you.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

kibbs wrote:the laws are already there.its the drinking culture is the root of excess.

That touches on something that I think about quite a bit. Drinking is so deeply ingrained in our social (and economic) structure that it is viewed as an inalienable personal right despite the undeniable damage it does in terms of health and family life. Whenever this topic comes up there is one side calling for harsher penalties and stricter laws and another side saying "It's always been here and always will be so learn to live with it." Is it really something we can't change? We have bred many unhealthy habits out of our day-to-day lives, is it time to consider the same be done for drinking?
Last edited by fluffy on Jan 15th, 2013, 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Parents taking their kids out on their 19th birthday means nothing - kids were drinking long before that. The point is getting the numbers down and it is possible as people can learn and have. It's just some have to learn the harder way and confiscating vehicles and stiffer fines is a start.

Parents allowing kids to drink in high school is a huge problem that results in death.If getting the numbers down to make us look good is all that matters than lets fire those five new cops.If we cut the spot checks down we can really look good on paper.Lets educate better and send cops home empty handed.and hall of shame ,you do not want to be on that,
Peace be with you.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

kibbs wrote:Parents allowing kids to drink in high school is a huge problem that results in death.If getting the numbers down to make us look good is all that matters than lets fire those five new cops.If we cut the spot checks down we can really look good on paper.Lets educate better and send cops home empty handed.and hall of shame ,you do not want to be on that,
Doesn't make sense - of course the numbers should go down and I say hire more police and utilize the media. I've already stated people can learn and have. It's going to start with the next generation, not the current one who enables the youth.

Another crash last night involving a police vehicle - witnesses say alcohol may be involved. What does it take to get these drunks off the road and keep them off?
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

kibbs wrote:Walter grey may call rutcity hooterville but right now to the rest of the world we are looking like skid row.

Incorrect, we are regarded as 'party town' according to everywhere else...

Only your twisted view sees "skid row"
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I say hire more police and utilize the media

the more you catch the worse we look.the media is using us .every piece of poop we give them they will use to smear us and sell more copy
Peace be with you.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Welcome to the news, that's why happier people don't watch it or really pay attention to it, especially for stories like this one.

Sensationalizing statistics to sell advertising :nutzoid:
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

drunks off the road and keep them off?

nothing less than a road side execution.lets hope our police never have so much power
Peace be with you.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

For people who believe they can handle your booze and drive ,you will not learn until you get an impaired .Its gonna really suck.Why not think it through .know what your limit is .i know i can drink two and drive legally .If your driving count them.i have asked to blow b4 i drove .They were happy to oblige.
Peace be with you.
Takin it easy !
Übergod

Post by Takin it easy ! »

Here's another problem one I cant wrap my head around my teenage Son tells me that some parents of teenage school kids actually buy booze for their kids to take to party's .
No excuses here people this is just plain wrong for many reasons !
These parents have dropped the ball and are totally irresponsible !
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

yes they are ,parents like this should have there kids taken away,all they are teaching there kids is that its ok to drink
when your still a kid.makes me want to puke i have teenage kids now try spending time with your kids people teaching them about live.not taking the easy
way out people.
Last edited by the truth on Jan 15th, 2013, 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

This is an issue that needs to be addressed in elementary school but it also means setting an example as a parent. "Do as I say, not as I do" philosophy isn't working.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Fancy wrote:This is an issue that needs to be addressed in elementary school but it also means setting an example as a parent. "Do as I say, not as I do" philosophy isn't working.

sorry but i disagree,it is not the schools jobs to teach kids about drinking,or sex ed.imho its a parents job,if parents do not want to teach there kids life skills then do not have kids
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I was unclear - I meant at the elementary school age level - not in school but having a spokesperson from RCMP doesn't hurt in school either. Telling people not to have kids doesn't work.

Return to “Central Okanagan”