Kelowna worst in Canada for drunk driving rates

SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Kelowna worst in Canada for drunk driving rates

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

So they have to choose between drunk drivers ( potential killers ) and sexual predators ( also potential killers ) ?
That can't be easy. Lots of guilt either way.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

For the longest time I thought the P H Pub had a precinct outside the parking lot.
Sure do love Rutland!!
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

I bet statistically a TON of people drink & drive from that pub... No reason why they wouldn't sit outside it? Gonna catch drunk drivers BEFORE they kill somebody...
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

If they were smart they'd stake out golf courses, back roads, beach accesses more often etc. Doesn't take a genius to know where people drink around the Okanagan especially in the summer. Oh and to the comment above about cops letting people get away with it more.....some can make an experienced call as to whether one deserves to be raked over the coals. When I was younger I had a very nice older officer actually park my truck for me instead of towing it, just said he'd come get me at home if I came back that night and got it. He wasn't waiting outside a pub either.
Sure do love Rutland!!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

phasyluck wrote:If they were smart they'd stake out golf courses, back roads, beach accesses more often etc.

If people were smart they wouldn't drink and drive (and then endlessly complain about cops on Internet forums).
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Guess what Captain.....people will ALWAYS drink and drive. The sooner you accept that the better off you'll be and who's complaining?
Sure do love Rutland!!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

phasyluck wrote:Guess what Captain.....people will ALWAYS drink and drive. The sooner you accept that the better off you'll be and who's complaining?

Guess what? I know. There's plenty of idiots out there (and yes, I consider people who drink and drive idiots). And police will always have something to do. They have job security for life thanks to brainless morons.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Things were a little more lenient in the old days, but too any took advantage of that, and the serious side of drinking and driving got more and more publicity to the point where a cop risks getting in trouble for not busting drinking drivers.

I'm still curious as to what puts Kelowna in the number one spot, more drinking drivers or more efficient cops?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

phasyluck wrote:Guess what Captain.....people will ALWAYS drink and drive. The sooner you accept that the better off you'll be and who's complaining?

Probably true, but with the new laws the numbers have been dropping, and there's no reason to believe that with continued effort and new strategies, we can continue to force the numbers even lower.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Takin it easy !
Übergod

Post by Takin it easy ! »

GoStumpy wrote:I bet statistically a TON of people drink & drive from that pub... No reason why they wouldn't sit outside it? Gonna catch drunk drivers BEFORE they kill somebody...
So just wondering why you have a hard on for this particular pub ?
I know lots of people that frequent that bar some like myself sip on a couple of pints over hours of chat and laughs.
I see lots of the locals walk home or call a cab................ chill out Stumpo !
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

phasyluck wrote:If they were smart they'd stake out golf courses, back roads, beach accesses more often etc. Doesn't take a genius to know where people drink around the Okanagan especially in the summer. Oh and to the comment above about cops letting people get away with it more.....some can make an experienced call as to whether one deserves to be raked over the coals. When I was younger I had a very nice older officer actually park my truck for me instead of towing it, just said he'd come get me at home if I came back that night and got it. He wasn't waiting outside a pub either.

There are statistically FAR MORE drunk drivers coming from pubs & bars than golf courses, back roads, beach access, and more, COMBINED. Why would they sit outside a golf course where 1 in 10 is over the limit when they can sit outside a bar where 1 in 4 is over limit?

They go where the highest concentration of drunk drivers are. If you think there are more drunk drivers leaving a golf course than a pub, then you're beyond help.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Takin it easy ! wrote:So just wondering why you have a hard on for this particular pub ?
I know lots of people that frequent that bar some like myself sip on a couple of pints over hours of chat and laughs.
I see lots of the locals walk home or call a cab................ chill out Stumpo !

Hey now, he brought up PHP, not me. I've been there many times when patrons let us all know that there are cops around the corner. Perhaps I've dined at that pub a hundred times or more so I know what he's talking about.

None of that changes the fact that a TON of dangerously drunk people get in their cars there. Lots are responsible, but lots are not.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I found this a weird tradition in Kelowna, Kelowna parents like to take their kid out drinking on his 19th birthday (p m for more detailed story)I found it odd ,that would be the last person I would want to drink with on my 19th.But perhaps there is wisdom in that .Parents should teach there kids how to drink in moderation.Use words if necessary.
Peace be with you.
bipdl
Board Meister

Post by bipdl »

kibbs wrote:... parents like to take their kid out drinking on his 19th birthday. ... Parents should teach their kids how to drink in moderation.

That's hilarious!!

Parents take their kids out to watch them get pi$$ed legally for the first time! (And please don't try and suggest any degree of moderation is involved, as in "setting a good example" or "allowing them to learn their limits under controlled circumstances" - any such assertion is not wisdom... it is just pure Disney, and naive.)

No, when my Dad took me out that first time, it was to prove who could hold their liquor better. It's a symbolic "father/mother and son/daughter" rite of passage, period. (IE; parent trying to "be cool"... kid trying to demonstrate how much alcohol they can drink and still (they think) walk straight.) Regardless of who shows whom what, there is certain to be an impaired driving offense committed unless a taxi or DD is involved... of that you may be sure!

Concerning the apparently troubling stats about "Kelowna drinking driving rates", I don't believe for a nanosecond that there are any more drunks on the road per capita in Kelowna than there are in any other Canadian city. All any Counter-Attack road block does is temporarily "filter" drunks off one particular stretch of road for whatever short time period that one particular road block is manned. The rest of Kelowna's roads remain as safe conduits for driving drunks (even safer since so many police and cruisers are concentrated at a road block location).

All the stats that led to the report we're discussing are pure bunk! So too is the conclusion drawn from those stats!

What we're really talking about (and the only thing which can possibly be statistically verified!) is that Kelowna Mounties have "reported" catching more drinking drivers than have been reported in other jurisdictions. IT DOES NOT MEAN THERE ARE MORE DRUNKS ON THE ROAD HERE (PER CAPITA, OR PER KILOMETRE OF ROADWAY, OR PER HOUR, OR PER SEASON, OR PER DRINKING ESTABLISHMENT, OR PER DEMOGRAPHIC, ETC., ETC.) THAN ANYWHERE ELSE!!!

The only effective solution to discouraging drinking driving behaviour is to make the penalties of getting caught REALLY hurt. Forget prison... hit 'em in the pocketbook and hit 'em HARD, HARD, HARD! Once people get it through their thick heads that they risk working the rest of their lives and will never have anything to show for it, we'll see the readiness to roll the drinking-driving dice take a real nosedive.

Until that happens, too many people will continue to be just plain stupid, and cops will have to continue attending scenes of carnage and notifying next of kin.
'Authority' is not a reason.
The most universally violated human right is the Right To Be Treated With Dignity.
Pffft, you humans. It's amazing you've made it this far. - Prot
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

That's hilarious!!

Parents take their kids out to watch them get pi$$ed legally for the first time! (And please don't try and suggest any degree of moderation is involved, as in "setting a good example" or "allowing them to learn their limits under controlled circumstances" - any such assertion is not wisdom... it is just pure Disney, and naive.)

My assertion was not that they teach on their birthday but everyday by leading with example.I would argue kelowna lets loose more,its business rely heavily on alcohol sales and in the winter times get tougher here, even the cops admit it is like shooting ducks in a barrel. We are #1 and 'target rich'I find wisdom in bad examples as well,If your parents are teaching you to get hammered on day 1 It is showing how lax peoples attitudes are.
Peace be with you.

Return to “Central Okanagan”