Kelowna worst in Canada for drunk driving rates

kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Kelowna worst in Canada for drunk driving rates

Post by kibbs »

go to the corral on thursday night and watch a full lot of cars empty.were number 1.red neck drinkin culture runs deep in the heart of kelowna,half the idiots i went to trade school with. have lost there license to impaired at one time or another and had to park their grave diggers. after driven cab in this town ,ill never drink more than two a night again,party on kelowna eeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaa!
Peace be with you.
DaveC
Board Meister

Post by DaveC »

I think this will only get worse when we have a reliable test for DUI while on drigs ie crack, meth, weed and opium derivatives.

I think there are a LOT of people driving stoned out there that blow 0's on the breathalyser.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

The report also detailed that:

• Drivers between the ages of 20 and 24 have the highest impaired driving rate, which declines slowly as age increases.

• Men represent 82 per cent of all cases.

• Drivers accused of impairment are found guilty in more than four of five cases.

• Half of impaired drivers are stopped by police between 11 p.m. and 4 a.m.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Ottaw ... z2HdZAAMey
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

by the lord dyin jebus bye. we beat the newfies that cant be easy.walter grey believes its due to the 5 more officers ,they hired recently at least he says that's how we will spin it.council will proceed with plans to put up signs to report drunk drunk driving as requested by madd and nothing else
Peace be with you.
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

Thank Gawd that I go to bed at 9 pm so I'm never on the road when these drunk whackos are creating most of the carnage! There is a considerable value in sober and upright living, even in this day and age!
It Is When People Forget God That Tyrants Forge Their Chains - Patrick Henry
It's the Marxists, Stupid!
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
westbank07
Fledgling

Post by westbank07 »

Spocky wrote:Thank Gawd that I go to bed at 9 pm so I'm never on the road when these drunk whackos are creating most of the carnage! There is a considerable value in sober and upright living, even in this day and age!

Don't kid yourself, these drunk drivers can be anywhere at any time of the day.
Heck I just reported one myself yesterday around dinner time. I hope the person was caught.
I agreed with the earlier posts about the RCMP doing a better job and the public being more vigilant and reporting them.
Perhaps our city is safer after all.
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

westbank07 wrote:Don't kid yourself, these drunk drivers can be anywhere at any time of the day.
Heck I just reported one myself yesterday around dinner time. I hope the person was caught.
I agreed with the earlier posts about the RCMP doing a better job and the public being more vigilant and reporting them.
Perhaps our city is safer after all.

You're right about the times of day. Just before the holidays I had a gray Ford Explorer pass me on 97 by the West Kelowna Walmart going at least 140 km/h, weaved in and out of his lane, and then blew right through a solid red at Butt. Fortunately there wasn't a minivan full of kids proceeding through the intersection with the green or we would have had a tragedy. If it was up to me alone, I'd have a cruiser at every light on 97 pulling them over and seizing vehicles on the spot.
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
maxx
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by maxx »

Maybe there should be more drinking establishments in residential areas - with no parking. If you could walk a block or two to your local pub, have a beverage (or few) and a bite to eat........and get to know your neighbours in the process......there would be far fewer 'drunks' on the road. The ones that were still on the road, deserve the penalties they'd receive.
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

Here we go again in the head lines.
Guess what, those numbers again could double if we even spent more time checking drivers.
So its not that we have more drivers driving drunk but rather the police actually charged more people.
What all this tells me is that the system is yet again not working. Every year it s the same thing. Politicians and groups come up with a new plan and every year the problem persists. How about this. $30,000 fine if your caught. Pretty simple. Then we would only catch the completely stupid ones out there..
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

its important we educate better,these scare tactics preach to the converted .old drunks you cant change just take away their keys the bus, cab and bicycle await you..young people who are caught once need serious reeducation.not one car should leave a bar without blowing.should be law.it should not all be on the cops ,we need to police ourselves better.
Last edited by kibbs on Jan 11th, 2013, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace be with you.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#85695

More motorists were pulled over for impaired driving in Kelowna than any other city in Canada in 2011

There's where the truth is. Now if they're scaring tourists away, they can always set up less checkstops and get the numbers to wherever they want them. Stats schmats.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

kibbs wrote:its important we educate better,these scare tactics preach to the converted .old drunks you cant change just take away their keys the bus, cab and bicycle await you..young people who are caught once need serious reeducation.not one car should leave a bar without blowing.should be law.it should not all be on the cops ,we need to police ourselves better.

The only problem with this is people would just park a bit further away. I think any place that serves alcohol should have a breathalyser and someone who is trained to administer it on site, then before you leave you can choose to blow and see where you're really at. If I've drank any amount I never drive, but there have been times where I'm leaving somewhere after a couple drinks and think "I feel fine...but would I really be okay to drive right now?"
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

I like the idea of breathalyzers right in the steering wheel. Any trace of alcohol and the car won't start. Drinking drivers kill way more people than terrorists. IMHO it's time to stop them for good.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Spocky wrote:I like the idea of breathalyzers right in the steering wheel. Any trace of alcohol and the car won't start. Drinking drivers kill way more people than terrorists. IMHO it's time to stop them for good.

Good idea but you better not gargle with mouthwash before you head for work! You'll be late...
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

Bsuds wrote:Good idea but you better not gargle with mouthwash before you head for work! You'll be late...

In car breathalyzers are already widely and affordably available that can tell the diff between Listerine and Smirnoff. :)

Return to “Central Okanagan”