Kelowna worst in Canada for drunk driving rates

underscore
Übergod

Re: Kelowna worst in Canada for drunk driving rates

Post by underscore »

Takin it easy ! wrote:Here's another problem one I cant wrap my head around my teenage Son tells me that some parents of teenage school kids actually buy booze for their kids to take to party's .
No excuses here people this is just plain wrong for many reasons !
These parents have dropped the ball and are totally irresponsible !

That's because these days everyone want to be a "cool parent" who is their kids friend, not their responsible guardian. Everyone takes the easy way out and claims "oh I have good kids, they wouldn't do anything wrong".
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

underscore wrote:That's because these days everyone want to be a "cool parent" who is their kids friend, not their responsible guardian. Everyone takes the easy way out and claims "oh I have good kids, they wouldn't do anything wrong".

And when/if the kid does get into trouble it is everyone but the parent or kids fault.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

cv23 wrote:And when/if the kid does get into trouble it is everyone but the parent or kids fault.

Bingo. The sad part is, they make it so much easier for parents to do a decent job these days, but most are too lazy or delusional to bother.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Slightly, but I wouldn't be surprised if this type of parenting leads to a lot of those DUI's for those in their lower 20's.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Off topic/Trip
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
Takin it easy !
Übergod

Post by Takin it easy ! »

GoStumpy wrote:A little off topic?
Ladies and Gentlemen may we introduce our new moderator !
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Underage folks will always get booze and drink it no matter what, whether it contributes to this high rate of driving while impaired......nobody has the answer.
Sure do love Rutland!!
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

phasyluck wrote:Underage folks will always get booze and drink it no matter what, whether it contributes to this high rate of driving while impaired......nobody has the answer.

Seeing real punishment dealt out by the courts would certainly have an effect. Sitting in a cell 3 months for a first offense no exceptions and 3 years for a second one would give even teenagers cause to think about getting behind the wheel while impaired.
It would only add to the effect if our jails would also go back to being harsh places not country clubs.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

I think what they're doing is working, honestly.

Stiffer penalties, and education about 'what will happen' along with statistics of how many are actually caught is a very sobering discussion.

I think they could benefit from even more education & publicity, to make sure people are well aware... ignorance shouldn't be possible.

After that, people would knowingly drink & drive deserve whatever happens to them, ignorance is not an excuse!
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Okay seriously..some people barely see 3 years for murder in this country so lets start on a more realistic scale. Or else bring back the death penalty which i have zero problems with.
Sure do love Rutland!!
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Off topic. Stop derailing the thread/Trip
Peace be with you.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

phasyluck wrote:Or else bring back the death penalty which i have zero problems with.

Finally something you and i agree on
Trunk-Monkey
Übergod

Post by Trunk-Monkey »

Kinda fitting I would say...
Now this is scary...
http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#85877
bipdl
Board Meister

Post by bipdl »

GoStumpy wrote:I think what they're doing is working, honestly.

Honestly???

What "they're doing" clearly is NOT working! The message is obviously not getting through as effectively as it needs to. This entire thread proves that! We're over twenty years into the Counter-Attack program and look where we are today. "Glacial" is about how I would describe the rate at which we're solving the drinking driver problem.

Stiffer penalties, and education about 'what will happen' along with statistics of how many are actually caught is a very sobering discussion.

Sorry, but nudging a social problem as pervasive, as ingrained, and as serious as this one simply won't work. You gotta goose that elephant in the room and goose it real good if you expect it to move. Slapping it's *bleep* and politely encouraging it to shift isn't yielding anywhere near the results we need to see. Rome burns while Nero fiddles.

I think they could benefit from even more education & publicity, to make sure people are well aware

More touchy/feely campaigns would merely be a continued waste of money on our presently futile approach to stamping out drunk driving. Performing the same experiment over and over again while expecting a different outcome is the definition of insanity. Hardcores simply refuse to get it. And, they certainly don't embrace education.

... ignorance shouldn't be possible. After that, people would knowingly drink & drive deserve whatever happens to them, ignorance is not an excuse!

Ignorance you say? It's long past any time when any person holding a current driver's license could possibly try and use the excuse of "ignorance" about drinking driving laws and what mayhem drunk drivers cause. That ship sailed long ago.

At the end of the day, it is the lawmakers (politicians) who, for career reasons, tacitly tolerate the status-quo. It is their hands from which the blood of innocent victims drip because it is "they" who are solely empowered to force the changes necessary to significantly reduce all the avoidable deaths, dismemberment, tragedy, and destruction caused by drunk drivers.

The solution is simple and straight-forward, it's just that nobody has the gonads to approach the elephant. Instead, "they" give police a butterfly net and then dispatch them into a jungle swamp with instructions to combat malaria carrying mosquitoes.
'Authority' is not a reason.
The most universally violated human right is the Right To Be Treated With Dignity.
Pffft, you humans. It's amazing you've made it this far. - Prot
gja3106

Post by gja3106 »

Being from Edmonton and moving here in September, drivers are the worst I have ever seen. People need to slow down in this city. I thought Edmonton was bad.

Return to “Central Okanagan”