Kelowna worst in Canada for drunk driving rates

delSol97
Board Meister

Re: Kelowna worst in Canada for drunk driving rates

Post by delSol97 »

There's a lot more factors involved than people caught per 100,000.

First of all, we're a party town, so how many people are actual locals and how many are "tourists"?

While Vancouver cops are chasing drug dealers and murderers, our cops spend the summer rounding up drunks.

How many road checks do we have per KM of road per year?

How many road checks do we have period (per 100,000 people compared to other towns)?

Unlike say Burnaby or Vancouver which is a big grid and road checks can be easily avoided, many of our neighbourhoods are only accessible by 1 or 2 main roads the ability "to escape" might be more difficult.

Like most statistics, they can be skewed by only looking at bits and pieces of the data and can be made to represent whatever results you want.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

sure feels good to know we lead canada in drunk driving as well as we r leading bc in domestic abuse. stay classy kelowna stay classy
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I agree that statistics can often be "cherrypicked" to support a preconceived point of view, but I really have to wonder if a couple of months of summer tourist traffic can really account for the difference between Kelowna and the national average. Perhaps the permissiveness of "a party town" extends to a significant portion of the local population. It would be interesting to have a closer look at the age demographic of those being charged.

Edited to add:
The timing of the release of these stats and the announcement of the pending closure of Crossroads is bound to stir the pot a bit too.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

Post by CountryAtHeart »

A lot of people honestly do not know where their personal limit is.
If you had 10 friends, 5 men and 5 women, some are of smaller build; some are bigger. Some drink daily; some on weekends and some occasionally. They all drink 2 beer each over say 3 hours, no food.
I can bet you that all 10 will blow different numbers.
Popeye69
Board Meister

Post by Popeye69 »

I just absolutely love these impaired statistics. Now do we really have a huge number of chronic drunk drivers that have come out of no where or is it the tourist trap that we are giving us our bad rap... Arguements will be raged over both points on this thread. Truth and fact is, is that its the tourist element that affects this stat. Yes our pop has grown and yes we do have our local idiots who just cant help but drink and drive... but take a deep deep breath Kelowna and relax. This stat just states the importance of the more policing we need especially during the summer months because of the tourists coming here and having a good time. The people who've been here along time know the tourist are nuts.To all you Noobs to.. "The big city lol" relax this stat dont mean S@#!
bikeguy25
Fledgling

Post by bikeguy25 »

This seemed like a good spot to remind people im still around.....

The excuse people use that tourists are boosting stats is simply that....An excuse! Once again the people of this city do not take responsibility for the people that live in this city. From the over 100 impaired drivers I caught last year MAYBE, 10 of them were tourists out of town. HARDLY a legitimate excuse for the total number of impaired drivers that are caught from police.

Like the media report said. In the past that may have been the case but for the years ive worked here that is most definitely not a legitimate excuse.

Now back to the shadows I return until another need for people to get back in touch with reality.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I wonder how much the typical kelownian sense of entitlement plays into the data of those stats.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

while working for local business a man not from this country asked me why do Canadians have to drink to have fun? I still don't know the answer.hoping the man in the shadows is feeling better.
Peace be with you.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

kibbs wrote:while working for local business a man not from this country asked me why do Canadians have to drink to have fun? I still don't know the answer.hoping the man in the shadows is feeling better.

Because canadian women are too hairy and fat.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Job security.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Popeye69
Board Meister

Post by Popeye69 »

bikeguy25 wrote:This seemed like a good spot to remind people im still around.....

The excuse people use that tourists are boosting stats is simply that....An excuse! Once again the people of this city do not take responsibility for the people that live in this city. From the over 100 impaired drivers I caught last year MAYBE, 10 of them were tourists out of town. HARDLY a legitimate excuse for the total number of impaired drivers that are caught from police.

Like the media report said. In the past that may have been the case but for the years ive worked here that is most definitely not a legitimate excuse.

Now back to the shadows I return until another need for people to get back in touch with reality.

Ya right! I drove around all christmas and where were you boys and girls?? I aint gonna say were i work but from all my hundred some co workers the word is the same...cops put out a low low show of force this year as far as road blocks are concerned here in Kelowna lookin for drunks. Its baffling to me how stats even got this number when we dont even see cops doin anything. So maybe tell your boss that its time to quit bustin grow-ops and playin grab *bleep* and get down to good ol fashion police work.
Popeye69
Board Meister

Post by Popeye69 »

kibbs wrote:while working for local business a man not from this country asked me why do Canadians have to drink to have fun? I still don't know the answer.hoping the man in the shadows is feeling better.

Cause we aint dead yet!...and ya the women here can be pretty hairy... and a fair size....and noisy!
delSol97
Board Meister

Post by delSol97 »

http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/2013 ... n-a-decade

Apparently the Kamloops RCMP believes that their rates increased because of improvements in enforcement which lends some credence to my original hypothesis.
delSol97
Board Meister

Post by delSol97 »

... Less than 2 months ago the world was a brighter place

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -down.html

So are things getting better or worse?

The cops are doing a better job, and probably just an even better job in Kelowna than other places.
rutland1
Board Meister

Post by rutland1 »

Just more BS to get more money and manpower for RCMP. Manipulating the #'s is what it's all about.

Return to “Central Okanagan”