Ice on Sidewalks

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Ice on Sidewalks

Post by oneh2obabe »

Fancy wrote:Canadian Tire sells contraptions to put on your boots for easier walking.

Shoppers Drug Mart sell them as well.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I got a pair at work wear world and they're a life saver - at least a hip saver. We have a steep driveway and without those little metal spikes shovelling it's hazardous, with them it's a walk in the park.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Poindexter wrote:I got a pair at work wear world and they're a life saver - at least a hip saver. We have a steep driveway and without those little metal spikes shovelling it's hazardous, with them it's a walk in the park.

OMG
Someone who takes a pro-active approach to their own safety :124:
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Lots of energy spent discussing an issue that impacts us for what? a week, maybe two a year.

There will always be people that take the time and effort to clear their walks. There will always be people that do not.

bylaws in Kelowna are pretty much the same as any municpality. It will not be policed unless someone complains. Nothing unique here.
Otter
Board Meister

Post by Otter »

Fancy wrote:Canadian Tire sells contraptions to put on your boots for easier walking. I see a lot of high-heeled dress boots around that aren't made for this weather too.

You can buy various ones - same basic design - lots of places. I bought some at Costco just before Christmas, but have also seen them at Walmart and some other stores.

Only downside with these are that they are VERY slippery on tile floors and some of the sidewalks (when there is no ice) so you have to remove them or find some ice to walk on. Also, they don't work well in deep snow. A couple of years ago I was walking across a wide snow-filled area (I had my Sorels on) and I lost one of the grippy things in the snow.

Just a FYI.
Otter
Board Meister

Post by Otter »

Steve-O wrote:Lots of energy spent discussing an issue that impacts us for what? a week, maybe two a year.

There will always be people that take the time and effort to clear their walks. There will always be people that do not.

bylaws in Kelowna are pretty much the same as any municpality. It will not be policed unless someone complains. Nothing unique here.

Umm...considering it's been about three weeks since the real snow started and most sidewalks (in the downtown core, anyway) are still covered in frozen snow and/or skating rink worthy ice, I'd say this is a timely discussion. :127:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

What do you use on ice to remove it? Salt isn't an option.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Fancy wrote:What do you use on ice to remove it? Salt isn't an option.

Is there a particular reason salt isn't an option?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I've been warned it eats away at the concrete.
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

Fancy wrote:I've been warned it eats away at the concrete.

You can buy salt that is safe for concrete. If you don't want to use salt you can try Nitrogen fertilizer.
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

I use Alaskan ice melter.

Formulated with Calcium Chloride
Melts down to -31°C/-24°F
Pet friendly
Safe on concrete and vegetation (When used as directed)

http://icemelter.chost.ca/products/alaskan_e.php
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

oneh2obabe wrote:I use Alaskan ice melter.

Formulated with Calcium Chloride
Melts down to -31°C/-24°F
Pet friendly
Safe on concrete and vegetation (When used as directed)

http://icemelter.chost.ca/products/alaskan_e.php

Calcium chloride, CaCl2, is a salt of calcium and chloride.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_chloride
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

johnhenry wrote:You can buy salt that is safe for concrete. If you don't want to use salt you can try Nitrogen fertilizer.

Be careful what you use if you have pets. Some chemicals can be very harmful to exposed paws
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

That's exactly what I'm after - pet friendly stuff. Thanks for the replies. I would imagine Home Depot or Rona sells it.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Umm...considering it's been about three weeks since the real snow started and most sidewalks (in the downtown core, anyway) are still covered in frozen snow and/or skating rink worthy ice, I'd say this is a timely discussion. :127:[/quote]

About 3 weeks is a little more than 2 and we will be seeing positive temps the rest of the week. Point being; snow is not much of an issue here in Kelowna. Can be an annoyance for a few weeks a year? Sure. But its not like we are living in a snow belt by any stretch. likely the reason we have issues with the plow operators is they don't get enough practice! :dyinglaughing: maybe we should send them to the eastcoast for refreshers every year.

Return to “Central Okanagan”