Ice on Sidewalks

Cumungala
Übergod

Ice on Sidewalks

Post by Cumungala »

So I walked to the store today and, of course, there were lots of patches of ice from that thaw the other day followed by the freeze. As usual, there were long stretches of sidewalk in front of people's houses that were ice covered. There were many areas where I couldn't even walk on the sidewalk because it was so slippery, so I had to walk around and trudge through 6 inches of snow. It would be a very bad day for somebody if I ended up slipping, because I would march straight to the door and give justice. Come on people, turn off your overheated Xbox which is used for 12 hours a day and take 10 minutes to shovel your sidewalk. The city should make it mandatory for people to clear snow and ice from public sidewalks in front of their house or at make arrangements with neighbors to have it done.

I realize that there are some people who aren't able to clear snow and ice due to disabilities and things like that, but I would estimate that at least 75% of people don't clear their sidewalk. Is this saying that 75% of people are disabled? I think not. Even if some people can't do it then, like I said before, they should make arrangements to have it done.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Ice on Sidewalks

Post by Fancy »

Hard to shovel ice when it rained overnight.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Had all day and most of the night to shovel after that snow stopped...

Had the morning, too!

I shovelled 4 driveways that evening because I knew that by the next day, it's going to stay there for WEEKS.... if I had a sidewalk out front I would have been proud to have shovelled it on the correct day... the day before rain turns to ice...

Smart people shovel it when it's fresh!
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

The city should make it mandatory for people to clear snow and ice from public sidewalks

I thought this was a bylaw?
etihadqueen

Post by etihadqueen »

I agree that walking on uncleared sidewalks is tricky but to be honest, before the city start enforcing bylaws they should be looking at the poor effort they have made clearing the roads this year. I drive all day with work and to say its been challenging is an understatement.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It is but it's complaint driven. I'd like to see the City proactive and go after the businesss that don't clear their sidewalks without having to make a call.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

And will the city clear the build up of ice at intersections? They are like skating rinks and it's painful watching people try to cross the road without falling on their tush.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Especially the ones so well equipped for Winter Walking. You know the ones, they are wearing the 6" spiked Winter Boots! That 1 spke does a lot for Winter traction! :200:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I live on a corner lot here in Penticton and do my best to keep things clear because we do get a considerable amount of foot traffic in the area. Most of my neighbours are like minded, but it does take a little effort and forethought, especially in situations like what we have now. Lots of snow, and day or two of melting and then a hard freeze. It was a short window this time to make sure the slush was gone before the freeze set in. In Penticton there is mandatory sidewalk clearing for business properties, but not residential. And it's not uncommon for the street clearing efforts to result in the snow just being pushed back on to the sidewalks.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

Ice is fun, you can do donuts with your truck!

Come on people, if the sidewalk is icy, call the town and complaint! It's each one's responsibility to care about his stretch of it!

I'm sure the neglecting homeowner prefer a bylaw visit than a $1M lawsuit for a broken leg.
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
DaveC
Board Meister

Post by DaveC »

I know there are people that have trouble clearing snw, and I help when I can.

Worst sidewalks on our street are in front of the house with the youngest people. They are just lazy, pure and simple.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I guess there are some advantages to having no sidewalks on a Cul de Sac
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

"Cul de Sac". Sounds like french for a genetic modification program.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

:dyinglaughing: cul-de-sac doesn't even make sense in French.

What's a cul-de-sac? Translates as an ass-of-bag.

It means: Dead end

Ahh these Frenchies...

Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

I used to live on Gordon, north end.
Why should a resident clear the sidewalk only to have the City plows push all the snow from off the street onto the sidewalk over and over again. I don't mind clearing the sidewalk of snow which has fallen on it but to expect, and threaten with fines, a resident to shovel away snow, sand gravel and ice that the City themselves has moved onto that sidewalk is ridiculous and highly offensive. This is not a natural hazard but one created soley by the City.

Return to “Central Okanagan”