Ice on Sidewalks

Cumungala
Übergod

Re: Ice on Sidewalks

Post by Cumungala »

I remember last year or the year before when the same thing happened with snow followed by a deep freeze. It was much more slippery then than it is now, and all of the sidewalks that weren't shoveled were sheer ice. I remember one area that was so bad that I had to walk on somebody's snow covered lawn to avoid the ice. When I went by, the man who lived in the house was actually outside and told me to "Please not walk on his lawn." I basically told him that the stretch of sidewalk in front of his house was a death trap and that if he would have done a better job de-icing and clearing it, then I wouldn't have to walk on his yard in the first place.

I will continue to do this wherever I feel it is necessary and I don't have a CARE in the world if it bothers people about me walking on their property. If you don't like it then CLEAR your flippin sidewalk. Simple concept. I have had one broken leg in my life and I don't really want another one.
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

Cumungala wrote:I remember last year or the year before when the same thing happened with snow followed by a deep freeze. It was much more slippery then than it is now, and all of the sidewalks that weren't shoveled were sheer ice. I remember one area that was so bad that I had to walk on somebody's snow covered lawn to avoid the ice. When I went by, the man who lived in the house was actually outside and told me to "Please not walk on his lawn." I basically told him that the stretch of sidewalk in front of his house was a death trap and that if he would have done a better job de-icing and clearing it, then I wouldn't have to walk on his yard in the first place.

I will continue to do this wherever I feel it is necessary and I don't have a CARE in the world if it bothers people about me walking on their property. If you don't like it then CLEAR your flippin sidewalk. Simple concept. I have had one broken leg in my life and I don't really want another one.

I brought it up in an earlier post but as it was awhile back I'll ask again. What makes the sidewalk in front of ones home the property of the home owner? If it is then what benefit does the home owner receive that the rest of the community doesn't? Shouldn't we all be responsible for clearing them just like we are for clearing the city streets. What would happen if it was decided that the street infront of your home was your responsibility? Some people have difficulty clearing snow for numerous reasons and I've read the many responses, some of which are very rude and assuming. I know of an elderly woman who lived in her home for over forty years with no sidewalk on her street on either side. It was decided by the city to upgrade the street and put a sidewalk in front of the homes on her side. She is in her eighties and like many struggles to make ends meet so to start imposing fines or to suggest she now should have to hire someone to clear the 40 meters of sidewalk in front of her house seems unfair to me. Unable to clear it herself she worries about the sidewalk because it is "her ' responsibility because the city has passed a bylaw. The neighbours across the street and everyone walking past her place from up the road all benefit from the sidewalk as much as her. Perhaps the community should be responsible either by hiring people to clean the city's sidewalks like the city's streets or perhaps the neighbours across the street should all be responsible too?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

A coworker informed me that we are pretty fortunate, because in the country she's from, residents are responsible for the sidewalk AND THE STREET fronting their properties.

People ought to just stop whining about having to do some work, I know it's a four-letter word, but it is good for you. It is a damn city bylaw, we HAVE to do it whether we agree with it or not. Other cities and countries require the same or more; suck it up, put down the remote and get shovelling, people. Also, SHAME on able bodied people who don't look after the needs of their elderly parents in this regard.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

In the country I'm from (Quebec), the city is responsible for the streets & the sidewalks. :dyinglaughing:
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Then that sounds like a place some folks should be instead of here.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

kgcayenne wrote:Then that sounds like a place some folks should be instead of here.

lolol.. and freezing their Image with -47 today!

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caqc0106
Attachments
chibougamau.jpg
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Awwwwe, I guess there is always a trade-off isn't there.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

There sure is! :bethecoffee:
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The city is responsible for plowing the snow where I live, but I actually enjoy shoveling, so I often get to it before they do... just for fun.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Glacier wrote:The city is responsible for plowing the snow where I live, but I actually enjoy shoveling, so I often get to it before they do... just for fun.

My neighbours and I have this thing about the sidewalks in front of our house. We actually each try to beat the other guy out there sometimes even shovelling while it's snowing to get a leg up. It seems to be contagious because even my wife has the bug and now I also have to beat her out there too. :127: It is fun and the type of work out you don't even know your getting.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

This is hilarious:

http://www.castanet.net/news/Balsy-s-Be ... -responses

Looks like someone is gonna have a heart attack!

(BTW Frenchy is in no way related to me... )

TR wrote: If he doesn't like it here with all us mares and old persons sucked in with the " beautiful Okanagan" there is a simple solution- he can go away and *bleep* at someone else .

By the way, if requested, I will send you a quarter to give to him so he can call someone who might give a fat rats a** about his opinion.*

Of course, the solution is to ship'em complainers back to their country. *Sarcasm* Would be funny Castanet gives Frenchy TR's phone number along with the quarter :dyinglaughing:
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I don't have a side walk...STAY OFF MY LAWN.....

You ,and others , have no god given right to use my property just because the road is a bit squishy for you...If you don't want a broken leg , get proper foot wear...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

doesn't hurt your lawn if I leave a footstep in the snow on it
Your bias suits you.
Bleach
Fledgling

Post by Bleach »

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the first 5 feet of land is the city's? (the ones without sidewalks.)
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

The amount of services a government provides is in direct proportion to the taxes you pay .If you own property you are responsible to provide safe pedestrian passage to it or you are liable for damages if some one is injured .The fine system is not working .Who's giving out or getting fines?If the city hired people to shovel snow and clear ice .they could bill lazy people on their tax for the service .and people who cleared their snow and ice would not be billed That's fair.and people would be safe.
Peace be with you.

Return to “Central Okanagan”