Ice on Sidewalks

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Ice on Sidewalks

Post by oneh2obabe »

Fancy wrote:That's exactly what I'm after - pet friendly stuff. Thanks for the replies. I would imagine Home Depot or Rona sells it.

Home Depot sells it in various sizes.
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stor ... ial&s=true
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

cv23 wrote:Calcium chloride, CaCl2, is a salt of calcium and chloride.

I know what it is and if it wasn't 1) pet friendly; 2) safe for concrete and vegetation, I wouldn't be using it.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

cv23 wrote:Calcium chloride, CaCl2, is a salt of calcium and chloride.

oneh2obabe wrote:I know what it is and if it wasn't 1) pet friendly; 2) safe for concrete and vegetation, I wouldn't be using it.

When used properly plain old table or rock salt is 1) pet friendly, 2) safe for concrete and vegetation
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Any info I've read states salt is corrosive. I know what it does to my boots.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Fancy wrote:Any info I've read states salt is corrosive. I know what it does to my boots.

So is the ice melter if used incorrectly. Note the statement in brackets after the "Safe on concrete and vegetation".
Like many things high concentrations of a substance can be unhealthy or even dangerous. Salt is fundamental for human/animal life yet if taken in excess can be deadly.
Table salt is sodium chloride, ice melter is calcium chloride and the substance the City sprays on our roads and sidewalks to prevent ice is magnesium chloride. All work in essentially the same way by lowering the melting point of water (snow/ice).
They all will be corrosive if the concentration necessary to raise the freezing point of water is exceeded by to much.
The old saying "everything in moderation" could not apply better to this situation

PS; Ice melter is very corrosive to metals and will start pitting almost immediately
Last edited by cv23 on Jan 15th, 2013, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Falling on ice is very corrosive to the well being of people.

Seriously though, It is important for everyone to remember to look after each other, we can no longer afford to be selfish, and selfishness is the voice with which the 'I don't want to do it' crowd is using.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

That's what I keep telling the city after they plow snow off the road & onto my cleared sidewalk.
Your bias suits you.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Someone was ripping along the boulevard in the Guisachan area on some sort of snow machine and pushed snow back onto the once-cleared sidewalk making it damn slippery. It's not just City employees that do it.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I noticed a couple of parking lots downtown had pushed the snow from the lots onto the sidewalk - not so bright.
CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

Post by CountryAtHeart »

Boy I would hate to see what people would be saying if we had a real winter, like we used to have in the late 60's, most of the 70's and eighties. And even in the 90's.

This is just a pain because of the varied temperatures.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Crying-Angel wrote:Boy I would hate to see what people would be saying if we had a real winter, like we used to have in the late 60's, most of the 70's and eighties. And even in the 90's.

This is just a pain because of the varied temperatures.

I don't think that is the point. We are all aware that things could be much worse but the facts speak for themselves. If you walk or drive around and pay attention to sidewalks outside peoples homes some are plain hazards and some are beautifully clean and ice free. So if some home-owners can clean their sidewalks properly then it can be done. There is really no point in blaming the weather or the plows or the people walking as it can clearly be done if people choose to do it and judging by several comments on here some people choose not to and like to pass the blame.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

Whatcha think?

(I want to add I'm not the one who wrote that beef).

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#85896

Personally, it actually makes me do a facepalm everytime we get a single cm of snow and hear about 50 cars accident in town.

I also believe snow removal is good in Kelowna! What would people do here if they would get snow storms like they do in Moncton? 50-100cm is casual snow storm out there! Every second day :dyinglaughing:

The other day I was taking a walk downtown and holy jesus crap... it was not really icy but mostly slushy and all these cars that were just sliding when braking going 30k/h... Probably all on summer tires. Same for walking.. put on your winter boots and problems solved!
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I don't think summer tires but probably all seasons.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

I can't believe there are 7 pages on a thread titled "ice on sidewalks" but here it is!
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I like that snowblower.
My favorite is a 7 horse tecumseh. Uh huh, I tell ya what.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “Central Okanagan”