Drunken Landscaper Rams Member

cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Drunken Landscaper Rams Member

Post by cutter7 »

janalta wrote:The fact that people are turning this around to suggest that the cop is at fault for not paying better attention while driving through a green light is astounding. Seriously.

who blamed the cop? some are taking it that way but i've yet to see anyone actually say that.

who saw the accident by the way? I realize what was reported but I've yet to see a witness to the actual accident who can testify that it was the truck who ran the red.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

cutter7 wrote:
who blamed the cop? some are taking it that way but i've yet to see anyone actually say that.

who saw the accident by the way? I realize what was reported but I've yet to see a witness to the actual accident who can testify that it was the truck who ran the red.

You're kidding, right? Three pages of people suggesting the cop should have been more observant, should have slowed down before heading through a green light, should have seen the truck coming and stopped in time....give it a rest.

You are aware, I assume, that there are experts who can recreate accidents at the scene in order to figure out what happened and who was at fault?
Cop on shift vs drunk driver going way too frickin fast. Do the math.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Do we know if the so called landscaper lives and is a resident of Kelowna or was a "tourist" in town skiing or tasting ice wine?
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

This seems like a good time to put my two cents in.

Before being in the role I am in now, I spent several years in the military, and I've taken lots of defensive and tactical driving courses. Granted, they were geared toward combat driving (ie. overseas), but the techniques and the topics are indeed applicable here.

I do not know what the RCMP defensive driving training is like, and so I cannot comment on that.

After my time in the military, I was employed in close protection, and again took a number of defensive driving programs on the civvy side.

They do argue that all accidents can be prevented. Just because you are not at fault does not mean that you can't avoid an accident. This is typically done by increasing awareness around risk areas (intersections), and by assessing those drivers around you. In the strictest sense, you should observe prior to entering an intersection, even on a green, and assess each other driver to determine risk based on their immediate actions. This can be done almost instantly, most of the time.

You should then, in theory, be able to identify a potential risk (vehicle that does not appear to be slowing down prior to a red light) and take measures to avoid it.

With that all being said, it's also important to see the difference between a police officer driving, and driving in the military or other protective operations. Typically, there is a driver, and his only role is driving - all of his attention is supposed to be on driving, and his awareness relates only to driving hazards and risks. There are others in the vehicle as well, who are responsible for observing the surrounding area for risks, and for logistics, radio communication operator, etc.

A police officer is expected to do the work of the entire crew himself. Not only is the police officer expected to drive defensively, but he is also required to be aware of the areas surrounding him, observing potential situations that he may have to respond to. In addition, he is responsible for his own logistics, as well as operating his own radio communication equipment.

It would be far more difficult for a police officer to be able to properly assess risks while driving, when he is also aware of situations surrounding him.

Point being, those who are explaining the value of defensive driving techniques are absolutely correct in that they are an effective way to avoid accidents like this. But on the contrary, it may not be directly applicable to this situation based on the police officer's role, and other circumstances surrounding this incident.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

nextimeround wrote: Especially when someone's traveling at a high rate of speed as was pretty evident here (based on the damage). Also, nobody said the idiot who hit him had his lights on. Could have had just his driving lights on which could have been quite deceiving.
I was thinking the same thing - it's possible there were no lights.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

fall wrote:Do we know if the so called landscaper lives and is a resident of Kelowna or was a "tourist" in town skiing or tasting ice wine?

If he was driving a landscaping truck and is known to police, I would imagine he is a resident here.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

If he was driving a landscaping truck and is known to police, I would imagine he is a resident here.[/quote]

Yes you would imagine he is but I'm sure they would still consider him a tourist for the sake of its always mainly tourists that cause problems and get us on lists that don't rank in favour for Kelowna
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Judging from the photo of the scene of the crash , and what I can decipher from google earth , I would say that it would have been next to impossible for the member to have seen the truck coming until it was too late to even react to let alone avoid the impending crash. Add to that that the truck likely was speeding based on the damage to the cruiser.
Headlights are probably not an issue as most newer vehicles would have headlights on even if the driver did not turn them on.
The news stories say that the truck ran a red , but don't mention any witness that states that. I would assume that unless there was a dash cam , or the truck driver admitted running a red , that the statement is based on the word of the officer.
Maybe the truck ran a red , maybe the police car ran a red . I don't know , because I wasn't there. It still comes down to the fact that the truck driver was drinking and driving.
Reminder to those who think that they can handle their booze , and still drive : It doesn't matter how good you think you are , if you are drunk and the other guy isn't , you are screwed if you end up in a crash no matter who had the right of way.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

ya blame the cop lol . poor cop is lucky to be alive . sure would not wanna trade places with this landscaper guy. talk about ruin your life in one second !
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

theyeti wrote:ya blame the cop lol . poor cop is lucky to be alive . sure would not wanna trade places with this landscaper guy. talk about ruin your life in one second !

Let's be optimistic - maybe this incident will turn the guy around - it was a close call after all and maybe the light came on.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Fancy wrote:Let's be optimistic - maybe this incident will turn the guy around - it was a close call after all and maybe the light came on.

Let's just hope he doesn't turn into a Casta-cop-hater and spend his life bashing cops on these forums. :127:
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I think he's bashed enough.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

good chance he will in this town
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

This Topic is awesome!

All these Armchair remarks..

Pass me the popcorn and watch this unfold...

munch munchmunch mucnh
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Seriously, if it was the cop who ran the red he would be the first to figure out that he could BS his way out of it easily enough given that the drinking driver's credibility is now worth zip zilch nada. Just sayin...
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Central Okanagan”