Drunken Landscaper Rams Member

Jonrox

Re: Drunken Landscaper Rams Member

Post by Jonrox »

Castanet posters are quick to crucify drunk drivers, except when they hit cops. Then they question whether or not the cop was paying enough attention. Stay classy.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

-fluffy- wrote:Seriously, if it was the cop who ran the red he would be the first to figure out that he could BS his way out of it easily enough given that the drinking driver's credibility is now worth zip zilch nada. Just sayin...

Given the drinking driver was trying to get away, it wouldn't take any BS'ing to figure out who was in the wrong. Poor cop didn't know what hit him.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Takin it easy !
Übergod

Post by Takin it easy ! »

Any news on how the officer is doing ?
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Post by GenuinelyInterested »

Takin it easy ! wrote:Any news on how the officer is doing ?

Talked to a "member" friend of mine today. he is doing Okay but, is very sore. He is resting.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

FreeRights wrote:This seems like a good time to put my two cents in.

Before being in the role I am in now, I spent several years in the military, and I've taken lots of defensive and tactical driving courses. Granted, they were geared toward combat driving (ie. overseas), but the techniques and the topics are indeed applicable here.

I do not know what the RCMP defensive driving training is like, and so I cannot comment on that.

After my time in the military, I was employed in close protection, and again took a number of defensive driving programs on the civvy side.

They do argue that all accidents can be prevented. Just because you are not at fault does not mean that you can't avoid an accident. This is typically done by increasing awareness around risk areas (intersections), and by assessing those drivers around you. In the strictest sense, you should observe prior to entering an intersection, even on a green, and assess each other driver to determine risk based on their immediate actions. This can be done almost instantly, most of the time.

You should then, in theory, be able to identify a potential risk (vehicle that does not appear to be slowing down prior to a red light) and take measures to avoid it.

With that all being said, it's also important to see the difference between a police officer driving, and driving in the military or other protective operations. Typically, there is a driver, and his only role is driving - all of his attention is supposed to be on driving, and his awareness relates only to driving hazards and risks. There are others in the vehicle as well, who are responsible for observing the surrounding area for risks, and for logistics, radio communication operator, etc.

A police officer is expected to do the work of the entire crew himself. Not only is the police officer expected to drive defensively, but he is also required to be aware of the areas surrounding him, observing potential situations that he may have to respond to. In addition, he is responsible for his own logistics, as well as operating his own radio communication equipment.

It would be far more difficult for a police officer to be able to properly assess risks while driving, when he is also aware of situations surrounding him.

Point being, those who are explaining the value of defensive driving techniques are absolutely correct in that they are an effective way to avoid accidents like this. But on the contrary, it may not be directly applicable to this situation based on the police officer's role, and other circumstances surrounding this incident.

A good post...

Point being, those who are explaining the value of defensive driving techniques are absolutely correct in that they are an effective way to avoid accidents like this. But on the contrary, it may not be directly applicable to this situation based on the police officer's role, and other circumstances surrounding this incident.[/

but this is what gets obsured the most..Sadly , we don't know the "details" of the officer's duties at the time of the collision , which leads to the "flag wavers" to call any who suggest that this might have been avoided , cop bashers....

So sad ...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Their reputations preceded them...
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Uh huh..... :sillygrin:
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I think he's bashed enough.

Does any one know how the member is?I've been hit by a drunk .It changed my life and not for the better.
Peace be with you.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

I believe he's out of hospital and Chris Clark said he'll be off work *at least* a week.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

GenuinelyInterested wrote:Talked to a "member" friend of mine today. he is doing Okay but, is very sore. He is resting.

Already posted on page 2 that both the member and truck driver released from hospital. Glad he is doing okay.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

The cop will probably need two weeks to get back to normal.. My brother in law got smoked out an intersection by a red light runner two weeks ago and just went back to work yesterday...

He and his partner were in an ambulance responding to a call with all the lights , bells and whistles on...
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

cutter7 wrote:Hehe Not clearly , but checking to see if the intersection was clear to enter MIGHT have helped him

Have you actually put some thought to what occurred?

Take a pen and a ruler, draw an intersection with two lanes north / south and two lanes east / west. Now to simplify it for you, take two toy cars out of your toy box and pretend the RCMP car is north bound. Pretend the a$$hole was west bound.

Mr. Police Officer is at the point in the intersection where he has cleared 50% of the intersection when struck by the truck. The only way this would not be true is if the truck was travelling in the oncoming lane.

In the area of this incident if I’m correct the intersections are not corner clear where you would see the other vehicle until too late. Most drivers don't stop at green lights to ensure it's safe to enter the intersection.

However, my safety tip for today is don't leave a red light as soon as you see your green. I was almost killed last year by a red-runner.

Hope that helped.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

Ken7 wrote:
In the area of this incident if I’m correct the intersections are not corner clear where you would see the other vehicle until too late. Most drivers don't stop at green lights to ensure it's safe to enter the intersection.

The drunken landscaper was coming from the east and the cop was coming from the south. That intersection has high hedges on the south-east corner up to the sidewalk. So, yes, the sightlines are really lousy at that intersection.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

"
crookedmember"

The drunken landscaper was coming from the east and the cop was coming from the south. That intersection has high hedges on the south-east corner up to the sidewalk. So, yes, the sightlines are really lousy at that intersection.

My directions were to give the poster a idea,as it appeared questionable. I was not aware of the direction of travel. Thanks!
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

crookedmember wrote:The drunken landscaper was coming from the east and the cop was coming from the south. That intersection has high hedges on the south-east corner up to the sidewalk. So, yes, the sightlines are really lousy at that intersection.

Are you sure you've got that right?

Judging by the fact that the cop car came to rest on Cadder approximately 20 meters east of Richter and the truck came to rest on Richter approximately 20 meters south of Cadder it seems more likely to me that the cop car was southbound (not coming from the south) and the truck was eastbound (not coming from the east).

For the vehicles to be travelling in the directions you stated the cop car would have had to travel approximately 20 meters in the opposite direction the truck was going at the time of impact. Not sure how that could happen.

In either case that intersection has very tall mature hedges right to the roadside on both the northwest and southeast corners and very large trees on the northeast and southwest corners. Short of coming to a stop at the green light and inching forward into the intersection there really isn't anything you would be able to do to ensure there is nobody aproaching Richter from the right no matter which direction you are travelling.

Return to “Central Okanagan”