Jaywalking Not Illegal in Kelowna

PDT
Fledgling

Re: Jaywalking Not Illegal in Kelowna

Post by PDT »

cv23 wrote:A lane is considered a highway? My driveway is a private place for the purpose of parking vehicles and there is no gate so the public has access to it so it is also deemed a highway???? The Safeway parking lot meets all the requirements of (c) so it too is a highway?
Come on now. I was starting to believe the rational of saying an intersection has crosswalks, even if unmarked, but if they want to call my driveway a highway you have to admit that their terms are clearly so screwed up as to actually be comical rather than taken seriously.

They were obviously just trying to make the motor vehicle act a little simpler to read. It would be very cumbersome to read if they had to mention every single type of publicly accessible "path" a vehicle can access every time they had to bring it up in the act.

Perhaps "road" would have been a better word for them to use, but it is what it is. The entire BC Motor Vehicle Act can be found here: http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/ID/ ... e/96318_00
kurtan
Banned

Re: Jaywalking Not Illegal in Kelowna

Post by kurtan »

wanderer wrote:Regarding the accident at Gerstmar Rd and Graham Rd. People who drive on Gerstmar, especially in the morning when they are going to work, drive fast as if they are on the Hwy or on Springfield Rd. Kids in this area, at that time of day, are crossing Gerstmar Rd going to the elementary school on Ziprick, or the middle school on Hollywood Rd. There are no marked crossings on Gerstmar Rd except at the intersection of Springfield and the intersection of Hwy 33, which is where the only street lights are. Graham is at least 3 or 4 blocks from either Hwy 33 or Springfield. 1 1/2 a block from the Graham intersection is a walkway that school kids use all the time, it comes out to the middle of the road not at an intersection, there is a yellow pedestrian sign near it as well there is a sign drawn by children for the city, asking people to slow down for kids on the road.

Slow down on Gerstmar, this is a residential area not a personal freeway or fast shortcut to Springfield, or Hwy 33!

Merrifield road is the same way. If i witness kids or another animal get hit in my neighborhood. The driver will feel my wrath

Return to “Central Okanagan”