More Events @ Prospera

CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

More Events @ Prospera

Post by CrystalCity »

I couldn't agree more with the points of the castanet article about Prospera not having enough events...except on one point...the same thing goes for the Kelowna Community Theatre. While it does seem to have more shows than Prospera...the K'naan concert for example, there is no reason it could not also attract Emeli Sandé who is playing @ the Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver on February 8...cost of tickets...$26.00. For those unfamiliar with her, she's the Scottish/African woman who sang at the London Olympics.

As for Interior Savings, they also recently hosted Nelly Furtado (who also played @ the Commodore) and Cesar Milan.

One more point, when a good concert does come here, be a good audience and get into it. The K'naan concert was great but half the audience was dead. We feed off the performers' energy as much as they feed off ours.
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: More Events @ Prospera

Post by kibbs »

god awful sound.9 inch nails was a good as p place got ,a bad design surrounded by bigger better arenas,kelowna fail.
http://www.soec.ca/
id love to see heart again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXznl5S7ZbI
Last edited by kibbs on Jan 18th, 2013, 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace be with you.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

I've heard that R&G properties are terrible to deal with so promotors just bypass Kelowna. On another point, what's this ridiculous "courtesy charge" that Select Your Tickets make you pay, even if you walk up to the box office and pay for your tickets? It's prevented me from going to a show because I didn't feel like paying an extra $15 for ticket when I was doing pretty much all of the legwork.
achern

Post by achern »

I heard it had something to do with the fact that Prospera uses Select Your Tickets instead of Ticketmaster. Also probably because Kelowna sucks as a crowd whenever there is a performer so why would anyone want to come here.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

On a recent trip to Saskatoon I noticed a full two page pull-out in their newspaper of events
at their arena that were booked.
On questioning my Mom on this she said that it was not unusual and that there was
something on the go ther all the time.
My reply " Huh, I think our arena sits dormant most of the time."

I know that they even used to do Motorcycle Safety Training in theirs in the winter because of
the relatively short riding season there.

By the way, their arena is a near twin to ours.
a little sample...
http://www.creditunioncentre.com/news.php

ETA: cick around on events and such for a better idea..
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

I see Shaun Desmond is going to the Kel Community Theatre. I think the Kel Community Theatre still does shows through Ticketmaster occassionally.
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.
manmade
Fledgling

Post by manmade »

techrtr wrote:I've heard that R&G properties are terrible to deal with so promotors just bypass Kelowna. On another point, what's this ridiculous "courtesy charge" that Select Your Tickets make you pay, even if you walk up to the box office and pay for your tickets? It's prevented me from going to a show because I didn't feel like paying an extra $15 for ticket when I was doing pretty much all of the legwork.

Cash grab!!!
R & G Properties also own Select Your Tickets
http://www.selectyourtickets.com/about.php
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

Ticketmaster is also pretty bad for gouging you with fees.
PDT
Fledgling

Post by PDT »

More events should definitely be happening at both Prospera Place and the Kelowna Community Theatre. I'm guessing that, like many other events around here, it takes someone to make it happen, but nobody cares or has the time and/or energy to do so.
joer2012
Fledgling

Post by joer2012 »

PDT wrote:like many other events around here, it takes someone to make it happen, but nobody cares or has the time and/or energy to do so.

This. Bong heads and old timers don't exactly make the world shake rattle and roll. I wouldn't get out of bed to see the lame dross that is called entertainment in Kelowna. Boring.
AB oil patch worker
Sunshine Tax Rebate recipient
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

This. Bong heads and old timers don't exactly make the world shake rattle and roll. I wouldn't get out of bed to see the lame dross that is called entertainment in Kelowna. Boring.

He is quite right this town is made up of seniors and pot smoking yuppies with their privileged teenage children looking for the door.At a recent John Lee Sanders concert at the rotary arts center,I was the only one there with real color in my hair.
We get the acts we deserve.Id rather go to the gator to get my groove on now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzD8Iz1dCVE
Peace be with you.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

techrtr wrote:I've heard that R&G properties are terrible to deal with so promotors just bypass Kelowna. On another point, what's this ridiculous "courtesy charge" that Select Your Tickets make you pay, even if you walk up to the box office and pay for your tickets? It's prevented me from going to a show because I didn't feel like paying an extra $15 for ticket when I was doing pretty much all of the legwork.

rg properties also runs capitalnewscentre ,the price they charge for a mens team to play hockey for one season is highway
robbery
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

rg properties also runs capitalnewscentre ,the price they charge for a mens team to play hockey for one season is highway
robbery

buy a bag of popcorn....

And the staff at the concession have a tip jar...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
sissy

Post by sissy »

I agree. Also seems like Penticton, which is where I am located, has a lot more going on all the time than Kelowna. But I personally don't like anything that Penticton brings. It seems as though the only concerts they want to bring is country artists. Nothing wrong with country music, it's just not my taste. Meatloaf was great in kelowna a few years back. Recently seen Journey and although I love the band, I have to say I wasn't at all impressed by them. Loverboy was by far the best act that night. I wish Penticton and or Kelowna would bring some more rocky acts. Heart will be good in March, but. I don't know. It's definitely been lacking in Kelowna for the past few years. When I first moved out here, they had big acts like Avril Lavigne, Nickel Back, Billy Talent, Three Days Grace, ect. I'd like to see more acts like that brought into town. IMO
joer2012
Fledgling

Post by joer2012 »

Some of the bands listed above are just dross and way past their sell by date. It expired about 15 years ago, but old timers and baby boomers want to hang on to those earlier years. Boring.

What about showcasing some upcoming bands of all sorts, covering every genre of music. Not just 80's hair rock or country music.

But, no way would promoters have them come to Kelowna. Too much cotton top/wifebeater image and a really poor image for being a hillbilly backwater kinda place.
AB oil patch worker
Sunshine Tax Rebate recipient

Return to “Central Okanagan”