More Events @ Prospera

kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: More Events @ Prospera

Post by kibbs »

What about showcasing some upcoming bands of all sorts, covering every genre of music. Not just 80's hair rock or country music.

this town is too small for the a list but ill take past prime rockers over nothing.were not gonna get psy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

like you said greys and bongers who would go
Peace be with you.
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

I would like to see more events here as well. But then again, are the Kelowna citizens willing to subsidize Prospera like the Penticton citizens do for the SOEC. Probably not. So then, we get what we get.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

TimmyE wrote:I would like to see more events here as well. But then again, are the Kelowna citizens willing to subsidize Prospera like the Penticton citizens do for the SOEC. Probably not. So then, we get what we get.

What do you mean?
Darlin06
Board Meister

Post by Darlin06 »

I love to see a lot more here....I listen to all sorts of music as well but having some great metal, rock or punk bands come to Kelowna would be fantastic...I do think there's a lot of country...I don't mind country but Kelowna needs some variety...There's many different types of people living here and we don't all have the same tastes...
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful." ~ Ann Landers
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

joer2012 wrote:Some of the bands listed above are just dross and way past their sell by date. It expired about 15 years ago, but old timers and baby boomers want to hang on to those earlier years. Boring.

What about showcasing some upcoming bands of all sorts, covering every genre of music. Not just 80's hair rock or country music.

But, no way would promoters have them come to Kelowna. Too much cotton top/wifebeater image and a really poor image for being a hillbilly backwater kinda place.

:dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing:

At least they're bands...not some poser goof with his Mr. T starter kit
lip synckn' to computer generated fluff.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

and in Penticton parking at their event center is still free!!!!!! Hello kelowna!
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Dave Dakers was the GM at what used to be Skyreach center or place back in the day and he was successful at attracting some big names. It seemed like there was always some big talent coming to look forward too but since he left, it has dried up.

I understand that in title, he is still the GM but that he works out of the arena in Victoria so i don't know what the dealio is today.

SOEC works hard to bring in talent and there is always something coming and we need that here. Prospera is a much nicer building than SOEC and it is absolutely underutilized outside of the Rockets.

We have had Elton John here twice and love him or hate him, they don't come much bigger than him.

Don Henley was here and the place was half empty. He is a great performer and I couldn't believe that Kelowna couldn't scare up 5000 people to support a true artist like him. Maybe poor showings like that are part of the reason why artists are reluctant to come.

When Mark Knoppfler was here, he drew a pretty decent crowd but he and the band helicoptered in and out same night to Vancouver. I can't understand why they wouldn't stay at the Delta. My cousin tours with him and when I asked, he said that they were unaware that the Grand was even an option so I took him over and showed him and he was very impressed so maybe next time, if there is a next time.

Alice Cooper, Nickleback, Avril Lavigne, BEPs and many more came and left and not a sound since.

Something is definitely wrong with our ability to attract talent.

Heck, Nickleback is pretty close to local talent and I know that some of that band have ties here and even they haven't been here since 06 I think.

I don't get it.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I don't get it.

Thats what happens when you become a bedroom for the tar monster,guys just come home to sleep.don Henley rocks but kids would only recognize the eagles.it surprised how any kids went to see old rockers twice their age.
Peace be with you.
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

I see that Sting is starting his world tour here. I hope this is the start of more to come.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Sting would be cool but his sound will be lost in that tin can echo,we need a bigger stadium with more wood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3lWwBslWqg
Peace be with you.
maxx
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by maxx »

kibbs wrote:Sting would be cool but his sound will be lost in that tin can echo,we need a bigger stadium with more wood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3lWwBslWqg

I've been lucky to see Sting in concert a couple of times - in two completely different venues (Prospera and the QE in Vancover) and the sound was great in both. This particular tour's 'sound' is more rock show than intimate jazz set. Don't be concerned about the sound. Sting employs some of the best sound engineers in the business. Oh, believe me, nothing is cooler than hearing the whole audience singing along with Message in a Bottle and Roxanne.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I've been lucky to see Sting in concert a couple of times - in two completely different venues (Prospera and the QE in Vancover) and the sound was great in both. This particular tour's 'sound' is more rock show than intimate jazz set. Don't be concerned about the sound. Sting employs some of the best sound engineers in the business. Oh, believe me, nothing is cooler than hearing the whole audience singing along with Message in a Bottle and Roxanne

Ok im in pick me up at 8 lol,Ill check out the prices maybe ill go back.If I like it Ill be walking on the moon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFkPOWdxLn8
i ve seen George Thorougood play massy hall ive been spoiled
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFkPOWdxLn8

i saw him in kelowna 20 years later and it broke my heart
Peace be with you.
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

kibbs wrote:He is quite right this town is made up of seniors and pot smoking yuppies with their privileged teenage children looking for the door.At a recent John Lee Sanders concert at the rotary arts center,I was the only one there with real color in my hair.
We get the acts we deserve.Id rather go to the gator to get my groove on now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzD8Iz1dCVE

Yeah, I'm even more terrorified of hipsters...

Can't complain about Sting. At first I thought: Great it's through Live Nation and not Select Your Tickets...Live Nation only redirects you to Select Your Tickets.
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by baconbits »

Maybe Prospera should hire the guys from wetape productions (COG & KELOHA), they seem to have no problems at all attracting great artists to the okanagan.

Whoever owns Prospera makes a killing on the parking he charges for events, maybe that's why he doesn't have the placed booked with events!
anchor08

Post by anchor08 »

Last edited by anchor08 on Jun 20th, 2019, 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Central Okanagan”