Hwy Lighting Is Terrible

GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Re: Hwy Lighting Is Terrible

Post by GoStumpy »

I do agree at 6pm driving home today, when there was oncoming traffic in the fast lane, I could NOT see the center median AT ALL. The only way I knew where I was in my lane was is to watch the car in front of me, if there was no-one in front of me, I would have been completely disoriented...
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

dodgerdodge wrote:I would not call it treacherous. I drove it today downhill in a commercial vehicle (not a huge one) and it is no problem whatsoever to do the speed limit. Please remember 90km/hr is only 55mph it should not be difficult for drivers to steer their vehicles around the bends at these speeds.
I do agree that those cross streets at the bottom of the hill are a problem and of course not everyone does 90, some do much more.

With respect for your opinion, I have to disagree. There are spots on that downhill lane where sheer rock cliffs are barely 4 feet from the white outside lane marking. If you have the slightest skid, a deer jumps into your path (as happened just a few weeks back right there) or if someone from uphill veers into the opposite lane, it's all over. There is no excuse to not have proper shoulders on such a steep, curvy, single lane, heavily trafficked, and IMHO overhigh speed limit stretch. As for the blatant disregard of the speed limit I just came down that hill not more than 15 minutes ago and just south of Huston some moron in a gray Mazda 6 passed me in the left turning lane at a speed that couldn't have been much below 130.

RCMP where are youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu?

LATER EDIT: And, BTW, I had my cruise set spot on 90 all the way from Glenrosa, so I wasn't holding anyone up.
It Is When People Forget God That Tyrants Forge Their Chains - Patrick Henry
It's the Marxists, Stupid!
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

But if the limit was changed it would not stop people driving faster. If the rocks were 10ft away instead of 4ft it wouldn't alter the fact that accidents could still happen if a deer ran out or a vehicle crossed the centre line. Antlers beach the opposite end is as bad, a downhill stretch that becomes 70 yet many do not do 70 as they still carry the momentum from doing 100 then 90 a bit further up the road and we have rocks close by and one lane each way on a curve.

What bothers me is why drivers cannot stay in their lane, it seems that every week we hear of an accident somewhere locally where a vehicle has crossed the centre line, it happens way too much.
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

dodgerdodge wrote:But if the limit was changed it would not stop people driving faster. If the rocks were 10ft away instead of 4ft it wouldn't alter the fact that accidents could still happen if a deer ran out or a vehicle crossed the centre line. Antlers beach the opposite end is as bad, a downhill stretch that becomes 70 yet many do not do 70 as they still carry the momentum from doing 100 then 90 a bit further up the road and we have rocks close by and one lane each way on a curve.

What bothers me is why drivers cannot stay in their lane, it seems that every week we hear of an accident somewhere locally where a vehicle has crossed the centre line, it happens way too much.

However...

1) If there was a REAL shoulder you'd have a full vehicle width to pull off the road to avoid an accident rather than now facing the choice of oncoming car/deer or ripping off your passenger compartment on a cliff.
2) Speed limits are to be obeyed. If too many motorists are exceeding that it is a lack of law enforcement issue. Again, RCMP where are you?
3) Such a heavily trafficked road should be two full lanes on each side with full shoulders AND concrete separator in the middle. We're no longer in the placid Okanagan of the 50s. 97 is a major international thoroughfare and the current condition that Drought Hill is in is absolutely inexcusable. Bypass, widen, drop the speed limit (with 24/7 radar) or do SOMETHING! I go up and down that hill all the time with my toddler and I have no desire for both of us to end up SQUASHED!
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

Spocky wrote: And, BTW, I had my cruise set spot on 90 all the way from Glenrosa, so I wasn't holding anyone up.

Doing 90 in a 90 zone? Sorry to disappoint, but you certainly were holding traffic. Most people see traffic signs as the minimum suggested speed.
Last edited by French Castanut on Jan 27th, 2013, 7:51 am, edited 5 times in total.
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

We drove from West Kelowna to Kelowna last night in the snow at about 11pm.
It was difficult to see the road at times but not impossible. Some reflectors on the cement medians would help and getting rid of some of the idiot speeders.
One Kid in a Honda with a burned out headlight that was tailgating everyone for sure!
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

French Castanut wrote:Doing 90 in a 90 zone? Sorry to disappoint, but you certainly were holding traffic. Most people see traffic signs as the minimum suggested speed.

I have to respect you for your long term contributions to this forum but that is exactly the sophomoric attitude that gets people killed on the roads. Slow down and adhere to the speed limits or IMHO you should lose your license to keep the rest of us safe. The public roads are for families and kids, not race track silliness!

Bsuds wrote:We drove from West Kelowna to Kelowna last night in the snow at about 11pm.
It was difficult to see the road at times but not impossible. Some reflectors on the cement medians would help and getting rid of some of the idiot speeders.
One Kid in a Honda with a burned out headlight that was tailgating everyone for sure!

You said it: "idiot speeders" and I agree 100%!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

If everyone guilty of excessive speeding had lost their licence, 95% of the population would no longer be driving.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

Glacier wrote:If everyone guilty of excessive speeding had lost their licence, 95% of the population would no longer be driving.

If it kept me and my kid safe, I'd be all for it. Speed and take the bus for the rest of your life. Suits me.

My perfect world:

10 kph over: $100
15 kph over: $200
20 kph over: Lose license for a week
25 kph over: Lose license for a month
30 kph over: Lose license for a year
35+ kph over: Lose license for life and forfeit your vehicle which will be auctioned off and contributed to traffic victims

PLUS: Mandatory full retesting every 5 years, every 2 years over 65 years of age.

... and IMHO the sooner something like this gets implemented the better.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Spocky wrote:
If it kept me and my kid safe, I'd be all for it. Speed and take the bus for the rest of your life. Suits me.

My perfect world:

35+ kph over: Lose license for life and forfeit your vehicle which will be auctioned off and contributed to traffic victims

PLUS: Mandatory full retesting every 5 years, every 2 years over 65 years of age.

That would never happen, it's called political suicide and so many people would be losing their licenses that it would throw the economy into a downward spiral. Creating a very difficult road test to begin with such as Germany has would be much more viable.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

French Castanut wrote:Doing 90 in a 90 zone? Sorry to disappoint, but you certainly were holding traffic. Most people see traffic signs as the minimum suggested speed.

Spocky wrote:I have to respect you for your long term contributions to this forum but that is exactly the sophomoric attitude that gets people killed on the roads. Slow down and adhere to the speed limits or IMHO you should lose your license to keep the rest of us safe. The public roads are for families and kids, not race track silliness!

Please take a big breathe, my comment had nothing wrong and nothing against you. You said that you are NOT holding traffic going 90 on the highway from Glenrosa.

I said I'm sorry to disappoint, but YES, you ARE holding up traffic, especially if you,re doing that speed in the left lane where the highway splits because for most people (I didn't include anyone specific here), 90km (the posted limit) is the MINIMUM suggested limit. And true!

I don't say going speed limit is wrong, I say most people drive ABOVE speed limit, so going speed limit backs up and holds traffic.

So it was nothing against you personally, it was a general thought in general.

Especially the bridge, it seems like it's a frigging race track. How many people drive 60km/h on it? I say most drive 90 on it!
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

zzontar wrote:That would never happen, it's called political suicide and so many people would be losing their licenses that it would throw the economy into a downward spiral. Creating a very difficult road test to begin with such as Germany has would be much more viable.

That's because the primary characteristic to be a politician today is to have your spine removed. All they do is tread water and try hard not to offend anyone so that they can be reelected. I can't find a single politician in office today who I can respect in Canada or the USA. While on the subject of Germany, if we had today's politicians before WWII we'd all be wearing Swastikas now. As for the damage to the economy I beg to differ as it would be a major boost to the economy. It would spark the creation of more effective public transit, so all the speeders could sit in the comfort of their buses while I would drive by and give them the finger. :dyinglaughing:

French Castanut wrote:Please take a big breathe, my comment had nothing wrong and nothing against you. You said that you are NOT holding traffic going 90 on the highway from Glenrosa.

I said I'm sorry to disappoint, but YES, you ARE holding up traffic, especially if you,re doing that speed in the left lane where the highway splits because for most people (I didn't include anyone specific here), 90km (the posted limit) is the MINIMUM suggested limit. And true!

I don't say going speed limit is wrong, I say most people drive ABOVE speed limit, so going speed limit backs up and holds traffic.

So it was nothing against you personally, it was a general thought in general.

Especially the bridge, it seems like it's a frigging race track. How many people drive 60km/h on it? I say most drive 90 on it!

I apologize for misreading your post. However, I don't consider it holding up someone who is in the process of committing a crime. If I was doing the speed limit in front of a bank robber making a getaway I wouldn't consider it holding them up either. Speeding is a crime. IMHO: There is no justification, no excuse, no way to explain it away. Both Drought Hill and the Bridge are clear and manifest FAILURES of RCMP enforcement. Plunk permanent radar both ways on both stretches and just keep pulling them over until the average speeds return to legal. There would be so much money raised, that the entire Okanagan could lower its property taxes! :)
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Spocky wrote:I apologize for misreading your post. However, I don't consider it holding up someone who is in the process of committing a crime. If I was doing the speed limit in front of a bank robber making a getaway I wouldn't consider it holding them up either. Speeding is a crime. IMHO: There is no justification, no excuse, no way to explain it away. Both Drought Hill and the Bridge are clear and manifest FAILURES of RCMP enforcement. Plunk permanent radar both ways on both stretches and just keep pulling them over until the average speeds return to legal. There would be so much money raised, that the entire Okanagan could lower its property taxes! :)

No worries, it's all forgotten already!

Radars is a great idea! The money raised could pay for a bypass tunnel under Westbank, solving the divider & traffic light problems too :dyinglaughing:

I wonder what Westbank ppl have to say?
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Spocky wrote:

My perfect world:

Surely this is going a bit far, i mean we all hate those nutty speedsters that have to get where they are going by whatever means they can use, putting lives in danger whilst weaving, running lights, tailgating and many other poor driving habits.
But to say you can lose your licence for 20 over is extreme. For a start there is the nightmare of how you police something that extreme when no radar device is going to be 100% accurate and secondly it is all relative. Driving too fast for the road and weather conditions is a big problem but doing 30 over on an empty connector on a dry sunny day is something quite different.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

HWY LIGHTING IS TERRIBLE. Ok now thats back on track....continue.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.

Return to “Central Okanagan”