When is the last time Okanagan Lake froze over?

Glacier
The Pilgrim

When is the last time Okanagan Lake froze over?

Post by Glacier »

A Google search shows 1929 as a year when the lake froze over, but the winters of 1950 and 1969 were the coldest on record. Does anyone know if the lake froze over in those years? I can't seem to find anything on Google to that effect.
Last edited by Glacier on Jan 28th, 2013, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: When is the last time Okanagan Lake froze over?

Post by Bsuds »

Mrs S remembers the lake freezing over so 1969 would fit in her memory time frame.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

A few sources also say 1983...an SUV broke through the ice and the RCMP had to rescue them. Maybe a few cops around here that could confirm that?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I can recall there being a freeze; it may have been '86. It was either 92 or 93 when there was ice from shore to a really good distance out there too. Whichever one, that was the year the heater broke in my car and I had a facecloth soaked with antifreeze to wipe the ice away from my windshield.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
samsquench07
Übergod

Post by samsquench07 »

I moved here in 1996. Seen ice build up a few times where the pier pub used to be, but thats about it.

The north arm of the okanagan near vernon freezes. How often, not sure, but ive seen it a few times myself.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I don't believe that Okanagan Lake has frozen over completely from 71 to now.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I can't believe it's ever frozen over. Takes a lot of consistently cold days for a lake that deep to freeze. Then again, if it was 70+ years ago it last froze over...who knows.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

kgcayenne wrote:I can recall there being a freeze; it may have been '86.

My initial reaction was to question your statement - ha, what was I thinking - because January of '86 was warmer than average, but then I realized that November of '85 was the coldest November of all time (9 days below -20, an average temperature much colder than even most Januaries, yadda yadda), so combined with a cold December it is quite likely that you are correct.

According to Wikipedia the lake froze over in '86 when a car cracked through the ice, but according to another site, it was '83 when the car went through the ice. Given the fact '85/86 was much colder the earlier winter, I'm inclined to go with the Wikipedia entry.

For some reason I cannot find any pictures from the 80s, but I do find older ones...

Last edited by Glacier on Jan 28th, 2013, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

kgcayenne wrote:I can recall there being a freeze; it may have been '86. It was either 92 or 93 when there was ice from shore to a really good distance out there too. Whichever one, that was the year the heater broke in my car and I had a facecloth soaked with antifreeze to wipe the ice away from my windshield.
You look much younger in your avatar.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Hmmm, do you always begin conversations this way!?
- Douglas Murray
bikeguy25
Fledgling

Post by bikeguy25 »

Who knew the sunken houseboat has been there for over 80 years!!!!
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

I have it from a local historian that the last time Okanagan Lake froze over from side to side was the winter of 1949/1950, which was, according to him, the last time it ever did so.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
dcipher
Übergod

Post by dcipher »

kgcayenne wrote:I can recall there being a freeze; it may have been '86. It was either 92 or 93 when there was ice from shore to a really good distance out there too. Whichever one, that was the year the heater broke in my car and I had a facecloth soaked with antifreeze to wipe the ice away from my windshield.

It has been close a few times in the last 40 years. It may have completely frozen...I don't pay that close attention. In the late 70's early 80's at one point. It was very close, and I walked a very long distance out onto the lake, and one could see only a fairly stretch of water at one location.
Takin it easy !
Übergod

Post by Takin it easy ! »

Always Sunny wrote:I can't believe it's ever frozen over. Takes a lot of consistently cold days for a lake that deep to freeze. Then again, if it was 70+ years ago it last froze over...who knows.
It freezes all the way to the bottom ? :dyinglaughing:
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Nebula wrote:I have it from a local historian that the last time Okanagan Lake froze over from side to side was the winter of 1949/1950, which was, according to him, the last time it ever did so.

I'd be inclined to believe that. I know it froze a fair ways out from shore a few times, but never completely over since I've been here.

I'm thinking it would require a significant sustained cold spell to pull that off.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"

Return to “Central Okanagan”