Fintry Queen will sail again

TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Fintry Queen will sail again

Post by TimmyE »

I wish them all the luck as it is something we need downtown. However, they seem to be starting off on the wrong foot. They don't have a place to dock it and they are already looking for investors to it off the ground. Excuse me, but all of that should have been taken care of before they bought the boat.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

don't have a place to dock it and they are already looking for investors to it off the ground. Excuse me, but all of that should have been taken care of before they bought the boat

I should have had a v8. I think Andy went through the fires just to get the boat.He does have a plan ,to build a dock and acquire services from the new washroom building.He needs support. They are whining already about having to section off an area from swimmers and there being no place at all to get diesel .These are the challenges that snivelers use to stick in the spokes of great ideas .these are minor problems that can be easily solved .
Peace be with you.
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

I think this is a great idea. They could sail to all of the places that the sternwheelers used to sail to in the early 1900s, and people could travel back and forth on the lake like they did in the past. However, something tells me that there's no way that the city will let a dock be built for it off the park.

Hopefully the Fintry wont become some "Wine Tours on the Lake" boat or anything like that.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

If you love Kelowna history, steam powered paddle boats a ferries .I recommend a little book called "Captain Lens Ferrie Tales"
Peace be with you.
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

The only viable place for this to work would be somewhere close to downtown. The area in question is underdeveloped as far as swimming or access to the water for swimming. I hope that City Council will see the value that this will add to Kelowna's tourism and work this location into the plans to upgrade the City Park waterfront.
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

kibbs wrote:He does have a plan ,to build a dock and acquire services from the new washroom building.He needs support. They are whining already about having to section off an area from swimmers and there being no place at all to get diesel .These are the challenges that snivelers use to stick in the spokes of great ideas .these are minor problems that can be easily solved .

This is a private venture which has already stiffed the taxpayers of Kelowna for tens of thousands of dollars. If he wants a dock there is plenty of privately owned lakeshore which he can negotiate with the property owner for lease of. Who does he expect to pay for this dock as he has NO MONEY?
IF he had paid off the full debt to the municipality it might be worth the city's while to negotiate a new lease with the new owners but definitely not in City Park.
Why isn't he negotiating with the builder of the new City pier as that seems like a far more logical place to dock his boat than does a public park.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

kibbs wrote:If you love Kelowna history, steam powered paddle boats a ferries .I recommend a little book called "Captain Lens Ferrie Tales"

Interesting, but the Fintry Queen was never a paddle boat. It is a converted car ferry. It was retrofitted to serve as a tourist attraction to have the appearance of a paddlewheeler. If you want to see the real thing, check out the SS Sicamous in Penticton.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

cv23 wrote:This is a private venture which has already stiffed the taxpayers of Kelowna for tens of thousands of dollars. If he wants a dock there is plenty of privately owned lakeshore which he can negotiate with the property owner for lease of. Who does he expect to pay for this dock as he has NO MONEY?
IF he had paid off the full debt to the municipality it might be worth the city's while to negotiate a new lease with the new owners but definitely not in City Park.
Why isn't he negotiating with the builder of the new City pier as that seems like a far more logical place to dock his boat than does a public park.

CV, when you buy a car do you expect clear title, or are you willing to pay off the former owners debt? The tens of thousands of dollars you are referring to were with another private venture, not this one. His intentions are to raise enough money to pay for the dock and connections to water and sewer. I hope he is successful.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

ttraction to have the appearance of a paddlewheeler. If you want to see the real thing, check out the SS Sicamous in Penticton.

I love the sicamous. Captain Len Hayman was the first ferry captain .His last ferry was the pendozi, which is now a yacht club.
http://www.westkelownayachtclub.com/his ... istory.htm
Peace be with you.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

cv23 wrote:This is a private venture which has already stiffed the taxpayers of Kelowna for tens of thousands of dollars. If he wants a dock there is plenty of privately owned lakeshore which he can negotiate with the property owner for lease of. Who does he expect to pay for this dock as he has NO MONEY?

johnhenry wrote:CV, when you buy a car do you expect clear title, or are you willing to pay off the former owners debt? The tens of thousands of dollars you are referring to were with another private venture, not this one. His intentions are to raise enough money to pay for the dock and connections to water and sewer. I hope he is successful.

http://www.kelownacapnews.com/news/151956105.html

Is it not odd that the man who was supposed to be acting as receiver, bought the vessel himself? Is this not a conflict of interest? As receiver, how did he settle all the debts accumulated by the business before making the purchase?
Something is very fishy with this deal.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

johnhenry wrote:CV, when you buy a car do you expect clear title, or are you willing to pay off the former owners debt?

This is not the private purchase of a car but the purchase a commercial venture. Apples and oranges.
If you were a supplier and were approached by the "new owner", with no money behind him, who had just "acquired" a failed business which had previously ripped you off for tens of thousands of dollars would you welcome him with open arms and be willing to risk even more of your money on his proven money loser?
Kelowna has managed to survive without the Fintry doing business for a few years now and I'd bet we can do so for quite a few more.
The City is having a brand new public pier and commercial vehicle wharf build downtown. Why would this commercial vessel not be negotiating with the builder of this facility? Most likely because the operator of this new commercial wharf is a private individual and won't risk his money on a proven loser without some real financial commitment being in place. The City on the otherhand has proven it's a gullible mark for this business in the past and throws around taxpayer funds like its monopoly money.
As a long term resident I too would like to see the Fintry out sailing again but I think we taxpayers have funded enough of its operation in the past and now think its time for this private business to pull it's own weight.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

These thing work well in other parts of canada they just have good support.This one made its own wine label to raise money .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Segwun
http://segwun.com/
Peace be with you.
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

cv23 wrote:This is not the private purchase of a car but the purchase a commercial venture. Apples and oranges.
If you were a supplier and were approached by the "new owner", with no money behind him, who had just "acquired" a failed business which had previously ripped you off for tens of thousands of dollars would you welcome him with open arms and be willing to risk even more of your money on his proven money loser?
Kelowna has managed to survive without the Fintry doing business for a few years now and I'd bet we can do so for quite a few more.
The City is having a brand new public pier and commercial vehicle wharf build downtown. Why would this commercial vessel not be negotiating with the builder of this facility? Most likely because the operator of this new commercial wharf is a private individual and won't risk his money on a proven loser without some real financial commitment being in place. The City on the otherhand has proven it's a gullible mark for this business in the past and throws around taxpayer funds like its monopoly money.
As a long term resident I too would like to see the Fintry out sailing again but I think we taxpayers have funded enough of its operation in the past and now think its time for this private business to pull it's own weight.

He bought a ship/boat. There was no commercial operation when it was purchased. All apples.

Edited to add:
I don't see where any of this is funded by taxpayers. The new owner of the Fintry Queen has publicly stated that he will build the pier and pay for all costs to connect to sewer and water at said pier. The owner is trying to start a business and is looking for the best location possible. We should try to support him in this venture.
Last edited by johnhenry on Feb 2nd, 2013, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I learned something from Kibbs!!!! :ohmygod:

well Wilkapedia anyways. :dyinglaughing:

I always thought that the R.M.S. designation on vessells stood for Royal Majasties Service.

Now I know it's Royal Mail Service.

Thanks Kibbs :127:
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

johnhenry wrote:He bought a ship/boat. There was no commercial operation when it was purchased. All apples.

:dyinglaughing: Get serious.
That vessel has never, and never will, operate as anything but a business.

Trying to grasp at imaginary straws makes you position all that more laughable

Return to “Central Okanagan”