W. Kel. Future Shop Closing!

Triple 6

Re: Is Kelowna BestBuy Still Open?

Post by Triple 6 »

The West Kelowna store is closed. Last night was the last shift.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Too bad. Less than 3 years.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Too bad. Less than 3 years.

16 months!
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

In our household we prefer FutureShop to BestBuy, they seem to have more in stock of the things we shop for. We also spend a good bit of the household geek budget at NCIX, newegg, Memory Express and, locally, Wytek so I suppose we could muddle through without either FS or BB. Mostly I think I'd miss their price match policies, which have gotten me some excellent bargains over the years.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Re: W. Kel. Future Shop Closing!

Post by GoStumpy »

AAAaaaahahahaahahhaahahahhaahhahaha :dyinglaughing:
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

I am stumped by everyone calling Future Shop part of West Kelowna. It is NOT! It was part of Westbank First Nations whom jumped the gun by not doing its homework well enough to determine that the population of West Kelowna and Westbank First Nations was not YET enough to support a store with the cost of retail that Future Shop sold or the eateries that were and are will not earn profits enough to stay around much longer either given the economies of the province. The only box stores that will make it on Westbank First Nation Land at this point of population is London Drugs, Wal Mart and Canadian Tire. Westbank First Nation is in trouble not West Kelowna. Take some pride in where you live people.
Tyde

Post by Tyde »

Spocky wrote:Superstore started opening an hour later recently too. Let's hope that we don't see any more major closures as I would sure hate to have to start crossing that bridge all the time just to get basic products!

Superstore made this change at all of their stores last week, not just West Kelowna.
thekid

Post by thekid »

I am stumped by everyone calling Future Shop part of West Kelowna. It is NOT! It was part of Westbank First Nations whom jumped the gun by not doing its homework well enough to determine that the population of West Kelowna and Westbank First Nations was not YET enough to support a store with the cost of retail that Future Shop sold or the eateries that were and are will not earn profits enough to stay around much longer either given the economies of the province. The only box stores that will make it on Westbank First Nation Land at this point of population is London Drugs, Wal Mart and Canadian Tire. Westbank First Nation is in trouble not West Kelowna. Take some pride in where you live people.

this sounds like a load of *****^

How does WFN have anything to do with a business they don't own, or manage? They didn't put Future Shop there. Maybe they leased the land/ or put up the money to build the buildings, but they don't own Future Shop?..

Who are YOU to say what stores will survive on the westside?
Are you a psychic?
Do you have a special list on what stores will survive within a certain population per whatever?
What about Wok Box, MT Muggs, Cattle Country, Coopers, Lord Chumelys? WFN's FAULT?

gimme a break, oh and I do take pride in where I live, Westbank and West Kelowna.
got eeeem ahah
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

waterwings wrote:I am stumped by everyone calling Future Shop part of West Kelowna. It is NOT!

Looks like it's in West Kelowna to me:

Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

I don't think that the closure of the Future Shop is a reflection of the West Kelowna/Westbank community as much as it is the restructuring of a company. The WFN has over built with all the commercial buildings they have built and my concern is that all of it will become an unsightly ghost town. And sure it is WFN land, but it still impacts the rest of the surrounding community.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

Like many in WK, I'm not entirely surprised that this store wasn't viable with the large number of competitive "big box" stores in the near vicinity. It's not WFN's fault though, as they are merely landlords. It's not up to WFN to validate the viability of a particular market. Still it would seem that there is a lack of (good) community planning by WFN and combined with the complete lack of cooperation with DWK in respect to sustainable business development, spells disaster for everyone.

I'm appalled by the way Future Shop went about this closure. They obviously knew for some time they would be closing. They even had press releases prepared. I think it shows little regard for their customers and even less for their employees. I was a fairly regular shopper at Future Shop but based on this I will be taking my dollars elsewhere.
tylo

Post by tylo »

This is a real shame.

Must have been a real shock for the employees who worked there.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

nextimeround wrote:I was a fairly regular shopper at Future Shop but based on this I will be taking my dollars elsewhere.

Well, it would be hard to do otherwise seeing that they're closed now.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
anchor08

Post by anchor08 »

Last edited by anchor08 on Jun 20th, 2019, 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ari Gold
Board Meister

Post by Ari Gold »

TreeGuy wrote:I don't think that the closure of the Future Shop is a reflection of the West Kelowna/Westbank community as much as it is the restructuring of a company.

Restructuring of the company means closing the lowest performing stores. The one in West Kelowna was the only one in BC that was closed, so it obviously had the lowest sales in BC. Why? because customers in the communities of West Kelowna/Westbank were not shopping there, which is a reflection on the state of retail on that side of the bridge.

Return to “Central Okanagan”