W. Kel. Future Shop Closing!

Spocky
Fledgling

Is Kelowna BestBuy Still Open?

Post by Spocky »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2013/01/31/business-best-buy-closure.html

Please G-d, let them stay open! Don't forsake us to the wilds of Future Shop alone!

Later edit:

Got this list of closures from National Post

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/01/31/best-buy-to-close-15-stores-in-canada-lay-off-900-workers/

BEST BUY
British Columbia
Queensborough
Nanaimo
Victoria
Langford (Westshore Town Centre)
South Surrey
Quebec
Lachenaie
Sherbrooke (SmartCentres Sherbrooke)
FUTURE SHOP
Ontario
Ancaster
Barrie South
Erin Mills
Quebec
Montreal (Forum Entertainment Center)
Laval (First Pro Ste-Dorothee)
Manitoba
Regent
British Columbia
West Kelowna
Alberta
Macleod, Calgary

So it seems that the new Future Shop that just opened in West Kelowna is history????????
It Is When People Forget God That Tyrants Forge Their Chains - Patrick Henry
It's the Marxists, Stupid!
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
Spocky
Fledgling

W. Kel. Future Shop Closing!

Post by Spocky »

Forgive me if this is a dupe post from the Kelowna section but this is big news for the west side.

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/01/31/best-buy-to-close-15-stores-in-canada-lay-off-900-workers/
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
underscore
Übergod

Re: Is Kelowna BestBuy Still Open?

Post by underscore »

They're better than FS, but just barely, so I'd prefer if FS was the one who left should anything close down here.

But in the end, I'll still do most of my shopping online. It's better than having to deal with either of those two stores.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Not big loss IMO............ except for the job losses. I find BestBuy & FutureShop one and the same..... Oh thats right they owned by the same company only difference is BestBuy is Blue & FutureShop is red.

I do most of my shopping online or when I'm down in lower mainland especial at NCIX outlets.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

underscore wrote:They're better than FS, but just barely, so I'd prefer if FS was the one who left should anything close down here.

But in the end, I'll still do most of my shopping online. It's better than having to deal with either of those two stores.

Well, I've been checking the various news sites and it seems as if the FS in WK might ALREADY be closed. Can anyone in that area confirm that?

And yeah, NCIX (and even newegg.ca) rock, but there is no alternative to having stuff in stock locally when you need it right then and there.
rioghnacha
Board Meister

Re: W. Kel. Future Shop Closing!

Post by rioghnacha »

It's not closing, it's closed. They called everyone in at 7:45 this morning. There was a notice on the door and everyone was given their walking papers. No notice for anyone.
Sperica7
Fledgling

Post by Sperica7 »

Hmmm this is interesting...
A very good friend of mine just got let go from FS after 9.5years of being there..mid way through her shift they pulled her and some others aside and said due to budget cuts, they can no longer keep them employed..
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

rioghnacha wrote:It's not closing, it's closed. They called everyone in at 7:45 this morning. There was a notice on the door and everyone was given their walking papers. No notice for anyone.

Oh my G-d. It's incredible that they should act so quickly! I'm absolutely stunned. There were a lot of people working there. This is a major nail in the coffin of what was once the West Kelowna retail sector. Abandon hope all ye who enter here! :(
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Am I glad I went when I did last week - not surprised though.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

I was there two days ago and all seemed fine too. It's also amazingly telling that it's the only FS in all of BC to be closed. The significance to the West Kelowna market overall is enormous. Superstore started opening an hour later recently too. Let's hope that we don't see any more major closures as I would sure hate to have to start crossing that bridge all the time just to get basic products!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

West Kelowna Future Shop was just too small - much preferred going to Kelowna for better selection.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I think a store in a mall would have a better chance of surviving as people could park once and shop for many things as opposed to having to drive from one box store to the next.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

zzontar wrote:I think a store in a mall would have a better chance of surviving as people could park once and shop for many things as opposed to having to drive from one box store to the next.

Given the reality of the geography in WK there is not going to be a megamall anytime soon, IMHO.
Ari Gold
Board Meister

Post by Ari Gold »

That is a big blow to West kelowna. One more store front that will likely remain vacant for years.

I received excellent service from the West Kelowna Future Shop. I bought a TV with surround as a package online on Black Friday 2011. My order wasn't completed because they were sold out of the surround system across BC, which was offered at a steep discount if you bought the TV with it that day ONLY .

Despite the fact the sale ended, the guys at West kelowna Future Shop arranged for me to get a comparable setup later that week(Denon 7.1 receiver, Energy woofer, and speakers) at the same cost...even though I didn't buy the TV at their store and the surround system was a different make and model.

Future Shop customer service wasn't willing to help, but West Kelowna Future Shop staff was. Afterwards, I sent a letter to the regional manager thanking the staff. Made sure to go there first for future purchases.
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

Yes, this may just be the tipping point where businesses start to give up on West Kelowna. It certainly looks bleak!

Return to “Central Okanagan”