W. Kel. Future Shop Closing!

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: W. Kel. Future Shop Closing!

Post by Fancy »

Captain Awesome wrote:Well, it would be hard to do otherwise seeing that they're closed now.
He can go to Best Buy.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Ari Gold
Board Meister

Post by Ari Gold »

anchor08 wrote:. That whole area with the new theater is a barren wasteland. By next year only the theater will still be there. Dollarama might be still there if people go there to buy snacks for the movie which a lot do.

I go to that area all the time. Both banks, TD and RBC, Shopper's Drug Mart for all of our perscriptions and some groceries (closest store to West Kelowna Estates and it's open until 10:00PM), Dairy Queen, Sammy J's, Subway, and the Liquor Depot. Just recently switched to a new dentist in that complex too.

I think Okanagan Lake Shopping Centre was a great addition for the area. The retail complex that's really in danger is, of course, the old Zellers/Extra Foods strip mall.
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

waterwings wrote:I am stumped by everyone calling Future Shop part of West Kelowna. It is NOT!

GoStumpy wrote:Looks like it's in West Kelowna to me:

The boundary shown in your pic is a little bit different than the one on the DWK website, perhaps you should ask them to update their maps as they are obviously outdated. :runforlife:
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

I'll send them an email post-haste :)
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

waterwings wrote:I am stumped by everyone calling Future Shop part of West Kelowna. It is NOT!

GoStumpy wrote:Looks like it's in West Kelowna to me:

DashFiveGuy wrote:The boundary shown in your pic is a little bit different than the one on the DWK website, perhaps you should ask them to update their maps as they are obviously outdated. :runforlife:

Here you go http://maps.districtofwestkelowna.ca/Vi ... rnetViewer
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

You guys aren't seriously going to turn this into a WFN debate, are you?

It's physical location is smack dab in the middle of West Kelowna's trading area, lets leave it at that?
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

GoStumpy wrote:I'll send them an email post-haste :)

:hailjo:
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

GoStumpy wrote:You guys aren't seriously going to turn this into a WFN debate, are you?

It's physical location is smack dab in the middle of West Kelowna's trading area, lets leave it at that?

Yes, agreed, that would be an accurate statement.
Last edited by Dash5 on Jan 31st, 2013, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

http://maps.districtofwestkelowna.ca/Viewer.html?Viewer=WestKelownaInternetViewer
Have a look at the map.

The last time I rented retail space the LANDLORD ensured that he saw due diligence on my part and actually demanded his some of his own of which I had to pay for because he wanted the space to prosper so the rent was always paid.
samsquench07
Übergod

Post by samsquench07 »

by this point in the game, the people that turn this into a wfn/west Kelowna/ westbank debate are just cheezy. Whos cares what people call it. Accept it and deal with. I might want to call it westbank, but if somebody wants to call it west Kelowna I respect them just the same. WFN are not landlords for these places, they sell the land on 99 year lease, and landlords like anthem properties take over. Just for the record.

Now on topic. Kind of a shocker about future shop. Never went there much, but would have expected them to last longer than they did. Just shows the state of economy. Continual high rents, and poor economy are killing all business in west Kelowna, westbank.. Also notes, another killer is governments. Payroll and taxation is out of control, and government put the nail in the coffin of business's. They defiantly don't encourage business's to hire, the encourage business to lay people off, or the business dies. Plain and simple.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

I feel horrible for those 40-45 people who just lost their jobs literally overnight...nothing more terrifying than losing your job in this bad economy and looking in the Employment Ads, there isn't much out there right now(hasn't been for yrs)...I was at Walmart the other day and the cashier told me that they are cutting hrs there too...
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

I do believe that as a whole, during these 'tough times' and with this 'bad economy', places like Future Shop which depend on people buying TV's, new electronics, games, etc... just aren't doing as well as they were when people were making money like crazy and watched their investments grow... now that people have seen their investments actually go down a bit, they're re-evaluating the importance of a 60" TV & surround system.

That's how I see it, anyway.... just not enough customers spending the $$$ to keep a business of that size open.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

The closure of a store like FS is an indication of some pretty serious tactics on the part of the chain ownership, part of the "Renew Blue" they're calling it. Makes you wonder what their economists are saying for the future. I wouldn't worry too much just yet about stores shortening hours and such, it could be a seasonal thing, the two or three months right after Christmas are traditionally the slowest part of the year.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Takin it easy !
Übergod

Post by Takin it easy ! »

Interesting one of the posters here said its ok they do most of their shopping on-line !
That's one of the reasons stores are closing cant compete with no overhead,no staff,no benefits,no rent !
Keep on buying all your stuff on-line and soon there will be no stores and other services for people to work at and guess what people wont have jobs and cant buy anything any way "ah but I saved a buck right "
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

-fluffy- wrote:Makes you wonder what their economists are saying for the future. I wouldn't worry too much just yet about stores shortening hours and such, it could be a seasonal thing, the two or three months right after Christmas are traditionally the slowest part of the year.

It's not that great. Best Buy (and Future Shop to some extent) has been suffering for a while as people turn to more price-friendly and low-overhead online retailers. I've heard many times Best Buy being called "Amazon's largest showroom" by economists - people tend to check things out at Best Buy and buy it online. They've been trying to change it with their service department but it's just not enough.

The future is pretty blurry for them. Their stock price has been slowly but surely going down from the height of 45-50 just two years ago to all time low of 11.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “Central Okanagan”