Can My Landlord Charge For That?

GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Can My Landlord Charge For That?

Post by GrooveTunes »

If the hydro account is in your name I'd be the one at the RTB making a claim especially if it's in writing. But like someone else has said it could be a civil case then it's a pain dealing with small claims court.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

GrooveTunes wrote:If the hydro account is in your name I'd be the one at the RTB making a claim especially if it's in writing. But like someone else has said it could be a civil case then it's a pain dealing with small claims court.

So you file with small claims. Serve the respondent yada yada. Get up in front if the judge to state your case, the judge asks that you produce proof that the respondent owes money towards said bill, and you say what?
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

So you file with small claims. Serve the respondent yada yada. Get up in front if the judge to state your case, the judge asks that you produce proof that the respondent owes money towards said bill, and you say what?[/quote]

She has it in writing in the lease.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

If it is stated in the lease about who is responsible for the hydro bill specifically and for how much then that is a RTB matter. Small claims will not grant a judgement/order regarding a residential tenancy matter. BC Supreme Court Judges have limited power as explained in Ross v British Columbia section 23. The RTA is BCs own little taste of North Korea.

[23]        Courts have limited jurisdiction when it comes to reviewing the decisions of the residential tenancy officer or reviewing officer.  Courts are able to set aside a decision if it is patently unreasonable or if it fails to abide by the rules of natural justice and procedural fairness

http://bcjustice.com/index.php?option=c ... temid=1235
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

If it is stated in the lease about who is responsible for the hydro bill specifically and for how much then that is a RTB matter. Small claims will not grant a judgement/order regarding a residential tenancy matter. BC Supreme Court Judges have limited power as explained in Ross v British Columbia section 23. The RTA is BCs own little taste of North Korea.

[23]        Courts have limited jurisdiction when it comes to reviewing the decisions of the residential tenancy officer or reviewing officer.  Courts are able to set aside a decision if it is patently unreasonable or if it fails to abide by the rules of natural justice and procedural fairness

http://bcjustice.com/index.php?option=c ... temid=1235

Yup, just like I said. What part of
If the hydro account is in your name I'd be the one at the RTB making a claim especially if it's in writing.
do you not understand?
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

GrooveTunes wrote:If the hydro account is in your name I'd be the one at the RTB making a claim especially if it's in writing. But like someone else has said it could be a civil case then it's a pain dealing with small claims court.

You make reference to both as an option. If it is not in the lease, in writing and the tenant did not pursue a resolution with the lndlord to damned the lease to state as such then a application for a dispute resolution will have to be filed.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I think I understand this now, just like a loan without a promissary note to repay said loan, without that legal document, if the borrower doesn't repay, then the lender has to seek restitution through another party.

Is that right Libelle?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

Queen K wrote:I think I understand this now, just like a loan without a promissary note to repay said loan, without that legal document, if the borrower doesn't repay, then the lender has to seek restitution through another party.

Is that right Libelle?

That is an unique enallage QueenK. Sorry QueenK that I do not have an answer for you, but sweet of you to think that I am an expert of sorts. :sunshine:
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

so just that I am clear, if you rent a suite in your house you need to have a business license?
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

normaM wrote:so just that I am clear, if you rent a suite in your house you need to have a business license?

Yes. http://www.kelowna.ca/CM/page313.aspx
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

well I'll be darned. Bet most aren't aware of that. Thanks Lore :/
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

LOL, Norma - I'll bet that's why there's so many illegal suites.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

7312 Suite In Residence
The Property Owner must name someone residing on the property as a contact person.
$8.37 for each suite with a minimum fee of $27.50 for each twelve (12) month licence period, or $252.00 enforcement fee plus $27.50 for each twelve (12) month licence fee if the Licence Application is a result of a Bylaw investigation.

http://www.kelowna.ca/citypage/docs/pdf ... 207878.pdf
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I have a feeling that if you call the City to get the suite declared Legal a business license if the least of your worries.
Just wonder where all this money collected goes.

Return to “Central Okanagan”