Can My Landlord Charge For That?

Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: Can My Landlord Charge For That?

Post by Bpeep »

jigsalot wrote:Totally don't know what you are talking about Babbitman.

You dont need to.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

jigsalot wrote:Once I realized she was wackadoo...I corresponded only by email to have a record. I have written proof from her that she knew our permanent address in October.

Be patient. She has to file an application to the tenancy branch within 15 days to be able to deduct anything from your damage deposit. If she doesn't and you don't get a cheque in the mail by the 15th, you file a claim with the tenancy branch for double the amount of the damage deposit and you will win. Providing you gave her written notice of your new address. These scum bag landlord/landladys need to be put out of business.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

GrooveTunes wrote:Be patient. She has to file an application to the tenancy branch within 15 days to be able to deduct anything from your damage deposit. If she doesn't and you don't get a cheque in the mail by the 15th, you file a claim with the tenancy branch for double the amount of the damage deposit and you will win. Providing you gave her written notice of your new address. These scum bag landlord/landladys need to be put out of business.

I agree with this except the part about claiming more than is owed you. Two wrongs don't make a right.

When I had rental properties I always went by the rules set out by the Residential Tenancy Branch and encouraged my tenants to read all the information available. It boggles my mind that some people (both landlords and tenants) are still in the dark about the rules even though it's all readily available through the Tenancy Branch website. I know specific documents were linked earlier in the thread, but you can find links to information on how to file a dispute if it comes to that on the main page.

http://www.rto.gov.bc.ca/
jigsalot

Post by jigsalot »

Initially, I was going to let it slide...pay what I don't owe just to have done with it...and done with her. In less than 24 hours, I'm of a different mind. She is trying to cheat me of my money and...if the law wants to punish her for that...yeah...I'm for it. I doubt I'm her first victim...maybe, if she's penalized...I'll be her last. We are not talking about 2 wrongs here...just one wrong where a landlord tries to rip off her tenant.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

no there isn't - like people who don't even have the common curtesy to return a CD mistakenly left a stereo gifted to them.
Some people huh?
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

its always a struggle to get the d deposit so i leave the rugs and tell them to deduct.show the bill.they will say and do anything that costs them nothing to keep your money.
Peace be with you.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

I agree with this except the part about claiming more than is owed you. Two wrongs don't make a right.

The renter has done nothing wrong, the landlord has (or might). It costs money to file a claim to retrieve what belongs to you. It's what the laws allow you to do and hopefully the landlord will learn from his/her mistake. Letting it slide promotes this type of treatment from landlords. Getting the deposit back is one of the easiest problems to solve.
bcgirl29

Post by bcgirl29 »

I always make sure to take pictures before I move in during the inspection, of the rental agreement itself, and of the way I'm about to leave place prior to handing over the keys. Just some suggestions to future renters to avoid problems. I also take a copy of the rental agreement and make notes to any things I had to clean to my satisfaction prior to moving in along with the photos to prove the before and after. Call me paranoid, but I just like to have proof when some jerk landlord tries to screw me over. It's happened before, it will probably happen again.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

bcgirl29 wrote:I always make sure to take pictures before I move in during the inspection, of the rental agreement itself, and of the way I'm about to leave place prior to handing over the keys. Just some suggestions to future renters to avoid problems. I also take a copy of the rental agreement and make notes to any things I had to clean to my satisfaction prior to moving in along with the photos to prove the before and after. Call me paranoid, but I just like to have proof when some jerk landlord tries to screw me over. It's happened before, it will probably happen again.

Not paranoid just a responsible tenant protecting themselves. Renting from a property management company can avoid problems as well. To many underwater homeowners think they can rip off the tenants because of their own stupidity.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

GrooveTunes wrote:Renting from a property management company can avoid problems as well.

Indeed. I rented from three property management companies (two in Vancouver, one here), and always been positively surprised with experience. No nonsense, everything gets fixed right away, inspections are professional and my damage deposit always returned on time with interest amount added. Heck, last manager even gave me a bottle of wine saying the apartment was absolutely spectacularly clean after us. They do it for living, so they do everything by the books.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

I didn't mean to imply that jigsalot shouldn't take the landlord to arbitration, on the contrary I absolutely would. I also think it's fine to ask for the fee required to do so in addition to the money not returned as part of the damage deposit, or even slightly more than that for the time and trouble. I just think that asking for double the original deposit is a bit vindictive.

Like I said, when I was a landlord I followed the regulations religiously and I am all for using the arbitration process when necessary. Much like in traffic, it helps if we're all playing by the same rules.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Catri wrote:I just think that asking for double the original deposit is a bit vindictive.

He doesn't have to ask - It's a statutory award of damages. Before writing, again, how wrong you think that is - go read up on what exactly "statutory" means.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

If a landlord doesn't return the DD in the prescribed time period as set out by the Residential Tenancy Act, then the landlord owes the tenant double. It's law.

I've been in this situation, and a letter sent laying this out nice and clear was all that was needed to get my DD back in full (a mere hair before double was owed to me).
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

I stand corrected. Sorry. I haven't rented out properties in some time and hadn't actually read the current rules.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

Catri wrote:I stand corrected. Sorry. I haven't rented out properties in some time and hadn't actually read the current rules.

You sound like you were a decent landlord/lady. You actually knew there were rules. :rate10:

Return to “Central Okanagan”