OKM school

kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: OKM school

Post by kibbs »

In Toronto there is no mystery to this .Where I lived and my parents grew up there were two high schools within a block of each other.One was george harvey ,the other york memorial.Mom went to york Dad went to harvey .Everyone knew if your kid was smart he went to york memo if not george harvey. MEMO kids went on to be lawyers and doctors .g harvey kids got a trade or joined a gang.I have personally gone from a middle of nowhere hick school and cycled five miles everyday to get to a better one in a town. Doesn't matter to me if you believe me. I'm doing what I believe is best for my kid.
Peace be with you.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

kibbs wrote:You are saying that all schools get identical monies.There is none given extra for any special circumstance.That school could not manipulate which kids stay and go ,in an always full 'join the waiting list' school .That a school that has facilities above and beyond another is equal.Well than i got some land to sell you.

Let's talk land Kibbsy because as far as government funding goes it is per student.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Let's talk land Kibbsy because as far as government funding goes it is per student.

i believe that is basis but not that final balance,i know okm receives extra money to keep my kid in a high risk behavior category unnecessarily. i'm sure there are many ways a school can grab extra.
Peace be with you.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

kibbs wrote:i believe that is basis but not that final balance,i know okm receives extra money to keep my kid in a high risk behavior category unnecessarily. i'm sure there are many ways a school can grab extra.

Any school your child is registered at would receive exactly the same amount of funding.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

If that is fact Kss sure Knows how to stretch a dollar.i will insist that the behavior category he shouldn't be in is changed.
Peace be with you.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

kibbs wrote:i will insist that the behavior category he shouldn't be in is changed.

That may or may not be your right, I don't know. What we all now do know is that your accusation that "Class segregation exists in Kelowna School Culture" is false and completely without foundation.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

kibbs wrote:If that is fact Kss sure Knows how to stretch a dollar.i will insist that the behavior category he shouldn't be in is changed.

Perhaps he manages fine at home, and not so well in school? In which case the CEA's would be justified in keeping him in the behaviour category. I have seen this situation in action as I have worked as a CEA with special needs and behaviour intervention students. I stopped because I don't have the tolerance for being bit or spat upon.

One of the ways schools can "stretch a dollar" is to keep borderline students within a funded category, to allow funding for a CEA to work with them and also to help other students who need help but don't meet a recognized catagory. A friend who has an ADD child experienced this.
I haven't failed until I quit.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

That may or may not be your right,

I was offered the option in my last meeting ,they asked if I would keep it in place just in case.The fact that the school would be funded more for that was mentioned a couple of times.I signed and agreed for sympathy of the counciller and the possability it might help another kid. Im sure what KSS is now was in the formation of the new school.How much that all cost and what it costs now is pointless.My eyes don't lie.Open Yours
Peace be with you.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

kibbs wrote:I was offered the option in my last meeting ,they asked if I would keep it in place just in case.The fact that the school would be funded more for that was mentioned a couple of times.I signed and agreed for sympathy of the counciller and the possability it might help another kid. Im sure what KSS is now was in the formation of the new school.How much that all cost and what it costs now is pointless.My eyes don't lie.Open Yours

So as the parent you were given an option but based your decision on "sympathy of the counciller and the possability it might help another kid" not what was best for your child which was the point of asking you the child's parent the question in the first place. By your own admission you did not base your decision on what may be best for your child and you continue to blame the school for what is happening to your child.

FYI.
KSS was replaced not to create segregation as you claim but because the old facility was deemed a fire hazard and that the cost to upgrade it to acceptable safety standards was more than the cost to build an entirely new school.
Are you now against students having a safe place to learn in?
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Are you now against students having a safe place to learn in?

oh ya they need survival jungle type training now.no stupid ?
Ya ok im weak i shoulda cut them off last time .My kid still has the year to finish there.I don't Hate OKM I find when parents get involved it gets better,If it had more trade things it would be a great tech school.My kid loves reading and history now .Hes ready for Kss Weve Been on the waiting list and are in its catchment ,that means closer for me to be involved .It is surrounded by a college and places to get food at lunch. Surrounded by people and industry which spells safe to a parent .okm is down easy abduction ally.
Peace be with you.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

kibbs wrote:oh ya they need survival jungle type training now.

???????
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

kibbs wrote:oh ya they need survival jungle type training now.

??????

kibbs wrote:I don't Hate OKM

Hard to believe that from all the bashing and slandering you've done to the school in this thread
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Hard to believe that from all the bashing and slandering you've done to the school in this thread

when i hate something you will know it ,like the teachers union commercials

you asked if i think kids should be in a safe environent ,jungle training sarcasm
Peace be with you.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

kibbs wrote:oh ya they need survival jungle type training now.no stupid ?
Ya ok im weak i shoulda cut them off last time .My kid still has the year to finish there.I don't Hate OKM I find when parents get involved it gets better,If it had more trade things it would be a great tech school.My kid loves reading and history now .Hes ready for Kss Weve Been on the waiting list and are in its catchment ,that means closer for me to be involved .It is surrounded by a college and places to get food at lunch. Surrounded by people and industry which spells safe to a parent .okm is down easy abduction ally.

Oh good lord.
Are you for real? Seriously?
You honestly think that a college campus and industry is a safer place for high school kids to hang out?
KSS is better for your kid because there are fast food places near by ???
( here's a thought...make your kid a lunch at home to take with him )

OKM is down easy abduction alley???
A school that is completely surrounded by middle class neighborhoods? :137:

So...the suburbs are more dangerous that having your kid wander down KLO at lunch time to grab some fast food in a busy commercial area ??

Wowsers.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

A school that is completely surrounded by middle class neighborhoods?

who barely look out their window.
its mostly to be closer and kss is a better school.ive had a kid in both i like kss.
Peace be with you.

Return to “Central Okanagan”