OKM school

brounal
Board Meister

Re: OKM school

Post by brounal »

Got two kids in OKM 15 year old in Grade 9 and 16 year old in Grade 10. Generally finding it a really good school .Any bullying problems are usually dealt with promply. They have programs to help students that are having a hard time with things as well my kids are in those . I wish they were maybe a bit more tech oriented with more emphasis on trade stuff ,practical stuff .There was a great high school back in Regina which sadly sounds like it is being closed down that had a no home work policy and also was super heavy on practical tech type courses. I think funding was cut to it but it was there for many many years.

So you can add me to the list of liking OKM for the most part. As for wealthy guess we fall in the middle of the range living in a 600k or so house in Upper Mission. And we do drive pretty nice cars but don't think have any big attitude and certainly not wealthy compared to many many people that live in this city or in our area since quite a few homes well over a million and no ferrari in my driveway but hoping my lotto ticket wins me one.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Got two kids in OKM 15 year old in Grade 9 and 16 year old in Grade 10. Generally finding it a really good school .Any bullying problems are usually dealt with promply. They have programs to help students that are having a hard time with things as well my kids are in those

I had to fight tooth and nail last year to deal with bullying and make change there.This year is better,but no altogether .Teachers can only do so much with arrogant hoodlums and there jerk parents .And yes special help for which they try to keep my kid in and get funding when not necessary .They have a new P who doesn't have their Mr makkey head up their bum now mkay .Good luck to you parents. kibb man and his kid are out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IigtvDR8fas
for those who dont get mkay ,mkay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G4HxrVx20A
Peace be with you.
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Post by GenuinelyInterested »

It must really suck when parent and child are in the same English class together.
Snarf
Übergod

Post by Snarf »

ALL schools have issues. ALL schools have problem kids.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

ALL schools have issues. ALL schools have problem kids
this is true but i am noticing an imbalance i think kss is cleansing themselves of their troubles,motivated by powerful parents.
creating a more ideal environment for their kids to learn in . like a nazi experiment. OKM is now hoodlum ghetto high.
Peace be with you.
brounal
Board Meister

Post by brounal »

Not sure what to tell you. As said daughter had some problems with bullying she is pretty overweight and that is likely a big part of it. Son seems to blend in better is also tall and not some small kid like I was when was in school who of course got picked on by bigger kids. Made me grow up tough though so might not have been that bad a thing.

I am not sure what you mean about special courses. I have not given them any extra money for them. They don't make my kids bring home homework either. Now again not sure if other kids are bringing home homework.
And not seeing my kids using drugs alcohol or weed of course can't be so sure about other stuff one day son did have incident at school maybe someone did slip him something or talked him into taking something. Fortunately nothing since and that was months back.

I keep pretty close rein on my kids and where we live they are pretty isolated since they don't have drivers licenses yet.
So they are pretty much always home most of the time and do what many kids their age do. Play lots of video games live on their facebooks, skype. that sort of stuff. They don't have close friends that come to the house either ,son had one that was bit different but wife made him break that one off. Kid to me wasn't that bad but was on some meds and had some issues. Prescription meds.

I have at this time no intention to change schools or look at private schools. But they do have some years left to go so see how things are in future. I would think private schools are very expensive. And would think some problems there are going to be same anyway. There is likely drugs at every school and as parents you have to try to keep your kids from doing them. Some parents are very permissive and kids are smoking up or drinking ,sex ,etc at their parents house sometimes with pretty much full knowledge of the parents. I personally am not going to be letting my house turn into that sort of place to bunch of underage kids. So far I can leave the house and not have problems but as he makes more friends will be setting some strong rules and if they dont' like them too damn bad.

Friend is going thru a lot of this stuff with his kid in Edmonton. Kid was smoking up and drinking all the time at home. He told him to stop so guess he put his drugs in locker at school. Got busted for 8 grams trying to get him for trafficking. He is only 15 though so can't do much and first charge.
But he is not changing his ways and got his sister to pull boozer for him the other day and was going to drink and likely smoke up at his parents house yesterday night. His father said no way and guess they went over to drink and party at another kids house whos parents are very permissive. You can blame a lot of parents for problem kids. While setting a good example doesn't always work ,some preachers kids turn out to be mass murderers and some hells angels kids turn out to be saints it can't hurt to set a good example and to have some rules and control over your kids. But too much and you do risk pushing them over to the dark side >. My father was anally strict and I was quite the rebel in my younger days and growing up in the 70s well.. But fortunately straightened up was lucky to never spend even one night in jail or have a criminal record. But was certainly no angel and drugs were rampant everywhere in the 70s. Doctors, lawyers ,cops all were doing them. Even some teachers ,profs as well.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

All kids party ,you keep them off drugs and booze till college .That's your job,Half my kids friends smoke pot .They either steal it from their idiot parents or buy and their "my kid does no wrong parents" are in denial.My kid has been taught his brain is developing .No drugs required.
Peace be with you.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

GenuinelyInterested wrote:It must really suck when parent and child are in the same English class together.

:dyinglaughing:

As for bullying...show me a school that isn't dealing with the issue.
My kids all went to school in a small rural AB community and bullying was rampant there as well.

I find it humerous that people trashing OKM and the Mission seem to always point to a community full of spoiled, ubber rich, upper class brats....when in reality, it is now simply just another Kelowna neighborhood.
It was always a beautiful neighborhood...close to the lake, close to the mountains, still close to shopping, but far enough away not to be too busy. But it was never a place where only the rich and famous lived....ever.

Today there are exclusive neighborhoods all over the city...East Kelowna, West side, Upper Glenmore, Crawford Estates...ever priced out the huge houses that overlook the north end of the city?
Most of the lower Mission was developed in the 60' and 70's and are not wealthy mansions...nor were they when we lived there.

Get over your childhood prejudices already people.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

I had kids in both schools, Kss offers the french immersion program while okm does not. that is most likely why kids from the mission area would be in kss.

MY son enjoyed going to okm , they have an awesome program there.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

kibbs wrote:here's what the concrete block , formally known as" cannon fodder" educator looks like .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhBxYFzj_Xc

It was built in 1978....what's your point? That it's a crappy place to go to school because it's not brand new?

But thanks for posting the link again....shows kids having fun, school spirit, arts programs...and all the things you and yeti seem to think are lacking.
Old enough to care less.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Looks great - bright colours, kids having fun. Only problem is trying to make a problem where one doesn't exist (that's to the OP btw).
Last edited by Fancy on Feb 3rd, 2013, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Ali Gator
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ali Gator »

kibbs wrote:here's what the concrete block , formally known as" cannon fodder" educator looks like .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhBxYFzj_Xc

I think this is a great video and good for them for all the hard work and organization of that went into this. Looks like they were having fun and good to see some of the teachers in the video too!
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I think this is a great video and good for them for all the hard work and organization of that went into this. Looks like they were having fun and good to see some of the teachers in the video too!

the video is awesome its the buiding.compared to kss you can see it is no longer a rich kid school.
Peace be with you.
netfreak
Übergod

Post by netfreak »

OKM was pretty boring. If the new KSS had been around when I was in high school I probably would have been more interested in actually attending school, though due to location I probably wouldn't have gotten in. I started high school in Vancouver in a brand new building with some pretty nice facilities but had to move shortly after.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

kibbs wrote:
the video is awesome its the buiding.compared to kss you can see it is no longer a rich kid school.

Good lord. The school is more than 30 years old...KSS is brand new. Don't suppose you ever saw the old KSS ? Here's a hint...it was old when my parents attended.
How a building looks has nothing to do with how good a school it is.
If all that matters to people is the age of a building...then I suppose KSS is a 'better' school.

Wait..... I thought OKM students were all stuck up rich spoiled brats? Now I'm confused about what the issue is...now they're not rich enough ??
Old enough to care less.

Return to “Central Okanagan”