Superbowl Low-Blow from CRTC and CTV

mexi cali
Guru

Re: Superbowl Low-Blow from CRTC and CTV

Post by mexi cali »

Anyone here remember when all we saw were the Tri West tractor commercials over and over and over during the SB? Used to drive me crazy.

I have Shaw cable and our feed was all American and yes, the commercials are what a lot of folks watch the game for.

And yes Cap, It's a wonderful life on SB Sunday. No worries; only chicken wings, beer, friends and what turned out to be a really good game complimented by a great half time show and some really funny commercials.

I will support Canadian content when and where I wish. i hate having it forced on me and I understand the frustration of those who were unable to see the game the way it was intended to be shown.

The CRTC is a very heavy handed organization.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
SarahJ7

Post by SarahJ7 »

CRTC does not mandate commercials... CTV is owned by telus btw, they blast all their own commercials.
AltaRed
Fledgling

Post by AltaRed »

SarahJ7 wrote:CRTC does not mandate commercials... CTV is owned by telus btw, they blast all their own commercials.

By Bell Media... not Telus
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

Tony wrote:CRTC endorses it. It's how Canadian TV companies make money by selling advertising, and keeps the Canadian content up.

Yeah, but what I meant is how Shaw gets away with violating this CRTC edict and showing the US feed on CDN simulcast programs like the Super Bowl.
It Is When People Forget God That Tyrants Forge Their Chains - Patrick Henry
It's the Marxists, Stupid!
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I was wrong about the CRTC having the latitude to direct commercial content. I read some stuff on their site and there is a specific link to Super Bowl commercials and why they aren't shown on Canadian feeds.

It makes sense to a point but it is to protect the investments that Canadian broadcasters have made when they pay for the right to air the game. The commercials help to pay the costs.

I get that but now my question would be how many Canadian viewers of the game would rather see the American commercials versus the Canadian content which is normally aimed at promoting Canadian TV programs which aren't very good anyhow?

The CRTC does what is called signal switching which is what causes the feed to change during the commercial breaks. The problem is that they can also do it for American signals on American stations which I don't think is fair.

IMHO, American TV has always been much more interesting than Canadian so it bugs me that they can do this to those who would like the choice. It is a form of censorship.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

mexicalidreamer wrote:I was wrong about the CRTC having the latitude to direct commercial content. I read some stuff on their site and there is a specific link to Super Bowl commercials and why they aren't shown on Canadian feeds.

It makes sense to a point but it is to protect the investments that Canadian broadcasters have made when they pay for the right to air the game. The commercials help to pay the costs.

I get that but now my question would be how many Canadian viewers of the game would rather see the American commercials versus the Canadian content which is normally aimed at promoting Canadian TV programs which aren't very good anyhow?

The CRTC does what is called signal switching which is what causes the feed to change during the commercial breaks. The problem is that they can also do it for American signals on American stations which I don't think is fair.

IMHO, American TV has always been much more interesting than Canadian so it bugs me that they can do this to those who would like the choice. It is a form of censorship.

Yeah, but the commercials pay the entire cost, not just help to pay it. CTV pays untold millions to air the Super Bowl and if they don't get a dime from the commercials, it becomes a total loss situation. Bell isn't in the business to lose money. I hate simulcasts as much as anyone else but it's a policy which has been keeping the Canuck nets in biz for decades and it's not going to change any time soon.

Also, they don't switch during the breaks, you get the whole feed from CTV, nothing from CBS.
It Is When People Forget God That Tyrants Forge Their Chains - Patrick Henry
It's the Marxists, Stupid!
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

My best guess on this is that they only delete over the lower channels that are the same time zone. It seems that the higher channels and the HD channels don't get have that issue. I worked for Shaw many years ago and the deletion (as it's called) was automatic any time a show was on both a US channel and Cdn channel. With so many channels now, I'm sure it's only select ones that get deleted over.

Return to “Central Okanagan”