Selling Things Used

Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Selling Things Used

Post by Hmmm »

I love the Castanet classifieds, as I'm sure many others do as well, but what is it with so many people selling their used stuff for more then it costs new? I mean there's a camera on there now for $800 that's $550 at Costco. How about the 7 year old Saturn (now out of business) with 150k for 10,500? Worth half that at best.

I would like to buy some of these items but I don't want to seem like a low baller and offer them what these are really worth, so I just move on.

Let me state, I don't care about this to much but I thought maybe it was worthy about a thread? Come on Kelowna, if you want to sell your used stuff, price it to sell, once it left the store and is used and in most cases no receipt, its worth a lot less to others.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Selling Things Used

Post by Bsuds »

I even see some things that are obsolete on there too. Bell expressvu receivers that no longer are compatible for example.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Since people who sell things on Castanet might be on the forums, this thread could maybe help. I loved the antique grand piano from the early 20 century, but over 10K? News flash, old pianos that are not Steinways are worth very little. If you're the one selling it, lower your price by about 75%. I'll give you a call.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

The asking price is usually what the seller values the property at while the selling price is usually what the buyer values the property at.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

It's like the gas price... there's not really any explanation for it.
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

It works both ways. The "yard sale mentality" is alive and well, you can price something at a tenth of its value and people will not but if they can't get you done by half again. It pays to know what you're buying, and if your selling expectations are too high then you'll likely just end up sitting on that white elephant for a few more years. There are a couple of pretty active facebook online garage sale sites here in Penticton, I imagine they are everywhere. I've found some real treasure in the furniture end of things, mostly because a little refinishing/repair doesn't scare me off when it could give the seller rise to treat an item like junk. I've also sold a lot of stuff at a fraction of its value, just because I don't have room for it anymore, only to see it turn up a week later at three times the price. You just have to know what you're looking at. Hint: Electronics deals that sound to good to be true sometimes are. "Unopened" or "Brand New" can be danger signals, be sure to get model numbers and do a search on them.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

I always sell my stuff cheap. I get rid of it fast and all of it. Thats the point for me. I know some people want to make it a business. Thats fine, but I'm not buying. Its the used electronics that get me. 35" tube tv for how much? If someone offers you $10 you should take it, that'll save you a trip to the Electronic Depot. I left 2 smaller ones on the curb with a free sign for 2 days and then had to take them there. They looked clean and worked perfect.....no one wants them.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Another place you might want to check out on facebook (that is if you are on there), are some of the buy and sell groups in your area. It seems every town has these groups. Vernon has at least three of them, with one being specifically free items. Not sure what groups Kelowna has though.
netfreak
Übergod

Post by netfreak »

I generally have good experience with the classifieds here but I do also see some ridiculous pricing sometimes. For example, over a year ago or so I bought a Nikon DSLR for $400 new at a store and saw people selling used versions of the same camera for the same price. Other items are completely overpriced. You do get some nice deals though and I have probably conducted more than 25 transactions here both buying and selling.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

TVs are a perfect example. The technology available today far outstrips what was around ten years ago, and does it for half the price. I brought home the big fancy plasma last year, had a 33" JVC tube TV that was working every bit as well as when it came home from the store fifteen years ago, and It was a $1K TV back then, twice what I paid for the new one. I was lucky to get anything for it at all, they're dinosaurs.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

A lot of times people will price things higher than what they will sell for...because people responding will almost always offer much less than the actual asking price.
I sold a lot of stuff when I moved back from AB...and couldn't believe how many people tried lowballing what I was asking. So...if you see something you like...make an offer, they're probably not expecting to sell for full asking price anyhow.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Exactly, no one is forcing you to buy, and where you set your price is your own business. Some people price high expecting to drop the price for final sale, some people price stuff to move right off the bat, it's up the buyer to be aware of the real value of what they are purchasing. I usually price my stuff to move, and have no problem politely refusing lowball offers, especially if the item has just appeared for sale.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

-fluffy- wrote:Exactly, no one is forcing you to buy, and where you set your price is your own business. Some people price high expecting to drop the price for final sale, some people price stuff to move right off the bat, it's up the buyer to be aware of the real value of what they are purchasing. I usually price my stuff to move, and have no problem politely refusing lowball offers, especially if the item has just appeared for sale.

its common practice to price higher then you're willing to sell but some people add, "no low ballers and firm price" to their high price. Either way, its no big deal, if I really want something, I'll still try.

I agree that we do have a great source here on Castanet to sell and buy things. I thought it was an interesting topic to bring up though.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

Yes and it's quite amusing that people feel the same about their house prices. Most think there worth more then they are.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I have sold many things on castanet .if you want to sell something you will only get half to quarter new value if its in good shape on average.People make a living at it .Always take a picture.Those high ballers trying to get new or more prices are clogging up the want ads.
Peace be with you.

Return to “Central Okanagan”