Quick Change Oil Services

Are you currently using a quick lube - drop in shop?

Poll ended at Mar 13th, 2013, 1:04 pm

Yes I am using one
39%
Yes I have used them and stopped
27%
No and would not
31%
I will not use one as there are too many stories of work being charged and not done.
2%

Total votes: 51

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Quick Change Oil Services

Post by Bsuds »

Bsuds wrote:http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/22/ford-officially-extends-oil-change-interval-ot-7-500-miles/

So Ford now says 7500 miles or 12000kms. That's a far cry from the 5000kms my mechanic recommends. I figure if I go 8000kms I should be safe.
Money_Talks wrote:
And that's why every 2004-2008 Ford F-150 needs the cam phazers done or an engine rebuild..

Try reading the link provided. They are saying vehicles after 2007.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Big Bacardi
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Big Bacardi »

thereason you cango longer is simple....motors are much betternow than 20 yrs ago,therefore the pollutants that ruin oil viscosity are much less now.

and as far as oil breaking down......

malarky...the oil stays the same, it is the contaminants that ruin the oilsability to lubricate!!!!!

end of story
You may think I'm dumb...But I ain't so smart.....but i am smart enuf to know how to spell corrictley!!!....I sure wish others culd spel. The graamar by other postars truly sux!
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

I used to change my old Camaro twice a year (before & after winter) and it was still running great at just under a half million kms on it, at the time I sold. :) (I put on around 50,000 km/year)
Your bias suits you.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I've used a couple of them here and there, but stopped since my mechanic does an excellent job on my vehicle, and there's no need for them. Never had a problem with them, although once they put a cap back wrong and it was leaking oil.

You have to understand that not everybody is their client. You're not their client if you know how to change your own oil. Nothing against ya, it's designed for a different clientèle. You're not their client if your car needs more attention than what you can get during a 10 minute inspection. You're not their client if you drive an older vehicles.

This type of places do really good in major cities like Vancouver where people drive newer vehicles, don't have the time to change their own oil, and don't know where the windshield washer fluid goes. It's like take out - sure it's great to be able to cook a meal every day, but for some people it's just not an option. That is it.

Also, they like to upsell on just about anything trying to get you to pick a higher margin items - they don't make money on oil changes, but other services. Overall, they're great money makers, and it would be great to own Great Canadian Oil Change or Mr. Lube - from what I've heard they're money printing operations.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

underscore wrote:There are typically two ratings for how long you can go between changes on newer vehicles, normal use and "extreme" use. You can go a lot longer if you fall into the normal use category but sometimes it can get cold enough here to put you under "extreme"

As far as oil change places go, I'm slightly biased as I have several friends that work at one in town so if I go anywhere I go in there, I've never had a problem. I would never bring my car to a dealership, they're called stealerships for a reason.

My vehicle only goes to the Mazda dealer, they do the oil and filter change for less then these quick change places and have certified mechanics. Only down side is you need appointment most of the times. No grease monkey touching my car. :sillygrin:
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Whyme2 wrote: Only down side is you need appointment most of the times.

And it takes 4 hours to do a 30 min job. :200:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
OvalTrackRacing

Post by OvalTrackRacing »

Captain Awesome wrote:I've used a couple of them here and there, but stopped since my mechanic does an excellent job on my vehicle, and there's no need for them. Never had a problem with them, although once they put a cap back wrong and it was leaking oil.

You have to understand that not everybody is their client. You're not their client if you know how to change your own oil. Nothing against ya, it's designed for a different clientèle. You're not their client if your car needs more attention than what you can get during a 10 minute inspection. You're not their client if you drive an older vehicles.

This type of places do really good in major cities like Vancouver where people drive newer vehicles, don't have the time to change their own oil, and don't know where the windshield washer fluid goes. It's like take out - sure it's great to be able to cook a meal every day, but for some people it's just not an option. That is it.

Also, they like to upsell on just about anything trying to get you to pick a higher margin items - they don't make money on oil changes, but other services. Overall, they're great money makers, and it would be great to own Great Canadian Oil Change or Mr. Lube - from what I've heard they're money printing operations.

Well put 100% agree.
Impulse_rs
Fledgling

Post by Impulse_rs »

Whyme2 wrote:
My vehicle only goes to the Mazda dealer, they do the oil and filter change for less then these quick change places and have certified mechanics. Only down side is you need appointment most of the times. No grease monkey touching my car. :sillygrin:

really? Is this what you believe? Certified Mechanics... Open your eyes. What is YOUR definition of a certified mechanic. The guys at the dealership changing your oil are making $10 an hour, less than most lube shops. No, they are not certified for the most part. The certified mechanics make $25+ an hour doing actual mechanical work. Do you really think a dealership is going to pay someone $25 an hour to change oil? They'd lose money. This is speaking from someone in the profession. I dont see why people feel good about themselves going to the dealership. Is it the big logo that draws you in?
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Impulse_rs wrote: I dont see why people feel good about themselves going to the dealership. Is it the big logo that draws you in?

Because I don't get a car wash and a interior shampoo if I go to Joe's Lube-me-Up shop . But I do at Toyota .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

Because I don't get a car wash and a interior shampoo if I go to Joe's Lube-me-Up shop . But I do at Toyota .[/quote]
Joe has lubed me once to often but I did get a free coffee and a newspaper to read during my lubing. I just buy oil & filter on sale at Crappy Tire and change it myself saves a ton of $$$$$ in the long run but to each his or her own.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
rutland1
Board Meister

Post by rutland1 »

I waas in a hurry at Christmas and used one of the major lube places. It had a sign up 2 for 1, so I pulled into the bay. I got charged about $110 for my oil change and no 2 for 1 because my oil is 0w and synthetic. I will never do that again. Oh I got a free hat and snow brush with the deal. lol
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

I utilize the dealership for a number of reasons.

It doesn't cost much more. The vehicle is returned to me washed, inside and out. They know me there and treat me well. I can enjoy complimentary beverages, pastries, WiFi and newspapers in their spiffy waiting area. I can watch the sweet, new sales associate strut about the sales floor in her pencil skirt, and pretend I have a chance. Most important, the service manager has assured me that they use only extra virgin motor oil. The car savvy amongst us know that is the best type.

Mrs. crookedmember didn't raise any fools.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

rutland1 wrote:I waas in a hurry at Christmas and used one of the major lube places. It had a sign up 2 for 1, so I pulled into the bay. I got charged about $110 for my oil change and no 2 for 1 because my oil is 0w and synthetic. I will never do that again. Oh I got a free hat and snow brush with the deal. lol

I also saw the 2 fer special & went in to check it out. You are correct & you got taken. Always ask first The deal was pay for a full synthetic o/c & get a non synthetic o/c free.The sales pitch was the explanation that full synthetic oil saves on fuel blah blah blah. Bet your new hat is pretty coolthough :dyinglaughing: And it hasnt snowed much.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I would suggest NOT getting your battery load tested at these establishments.
You will need to tell them ahead of time otherwise they will just go ahead and do it.
My vehicle just barely started after one, and has never given issue previously.
The vehicle beside mine did not start after one and he was flabbergasted as his vehicle, he stated,
"Had never had a starting issue before"
I found it suspicious as to their knowledge of performing the test properly.
Did someone give hand-me-down information to the employee as to the correct
operation of the device or, does the employee
actually have to read the manual as to the equipments proper operation???
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Well, I have to get the oil changed in one of our vehicles and am at a loss now as to where to go. There is nowhere to do it at our residence...........

Return to “Central Okanagan”