Isn't S.H.A.R.E. great?

Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Isn't S.H.A.R.E. great?

Post by Lady tehMa »

I think the Woman's Thrift Store is the one on Lawrence, between Ellis and Richter.
I haven't failed until I quit.
valenej

Post by valenej »

Yes the Women's Shelter Thrift Store is on Lawrence!!!

http://www.kelownawomensshelter.ca/comm ... rift-store

This is a link to the website for more information!!!! It's a small store but very well priced!!! Lots of good deals to find!!!
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

cool :) thanks for posting where the Woman's Shelter Thrift store is...I got lots of great things to donate !!
Vengey

Post by Vengey »

Personally, I will never attempt to donate anything to S.H.A.R.E again.

I had this beautiful old dresser...all some heavy wood, had a big mirror with it, kind of antiqueish. It was too big and heavy and I just didn't have the space for it anymore, so I called SHARE to donate it. They came to pick it up and they rejected it because there was a few cup rings on it. All it would have required is sanding and restaining. It was more than good enough for me, but not for people less fortunate? So sadly, because I couldn't keep it and SHARE refused to take it...it ended up at the dump.

Also, when my in-laws moved, I believe they tried donating their stuff to a few different places in town...a king size mattress was rejected for a very small barely noticeable stain on one side, a desk was rejected because there were a couple lil scratches in the paint...stuff that I was more than happy to have (thus no room for my old dresser).

I am very low income myself...and alot of items I have seen these places reject I would have been excited to find at a reasonable price at one of their stores if I needed them.

But then all these places turn around and beg for donations...they need to stop being so damned picky.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

e, but not for people less fortunate? So sadly, because I couldn't keep it and SHARE refused to take it...it ended up at the dump.

There is a lot of unwanted furniture and it takes up space and if it wont sell, wastes space These people know there job and what sells and what doesn't ,Share is not fussy ,they will take help anyway they can. stuff they cant sell does not help,If you read gfs post you will see customers , even though it is used ,they expect in near new condition.You took it to the dump .Didnt try another ,maybe it wasn't as nice as you say. Antiquish says old not antique. Don't take stuff like that to the dump put it in the free section of castanet ,a picker will pick it up refinish it then sell it.You will never find a matress that is stained .no one will accept or buy one that way.Just because its good enough to reuse does not make it resalable.
Peace be with you.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I agree with Kibbs,a store full of "really good except" has no room to put the better/best stuff when it comes in. At that point, the thing becomes a liability, not an asset.. Then it costs to dispose of it.
There are probably people that would take that stuff, here is some advice.. Advertise it for free well ahead of when you need it out, because when you go to donate it and they cant accept it..you dont feel happy about it.

I go past there every day, I see how much they have to. Take to the dump, and the huge amount of stuff left there after hours.. Often stuff that they would have not accepted..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Yes, they do have some nice stuff but not everything they sell or have on the floor is in the best condition. Have seen dressers that wobbled with the drawers not closing properly, kitchen chairs with rips or stains, and small appliances like microwaves and rice cookers that should have been disposed of, bed frames that were missing the nuts/bolts, etc.

Granted, they do offer some real bargains but you do have to check everything out with a fine-tooth comb before laying down your hard earned cash.

Called them to donate some stuff I didn't need and got a pickup date 3 weeks from when I phoned. When they arrived the guy was hemming 'n hawing about a square kitchen table w/4 chairs. Bought it and didn't like it when I got it home - thing wasn't even a month old and he was "oh, the colour is wrong", "don't know if it's big enough". Forget it bub - I'll find someone who needs it and have it delivered.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Central Okanagan”