Isn't S.H.A.R.E. great?

kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Isn't S.H.A.R.E. great?

Post by kibbs »

Don't you mean tchotchke? Whatever - nice story.

yes didnt know it had a spelling thought it was a made up word.meanig kitschy junk
Peace be with you.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

kibbs wrote:Share also picks stuff up like furniture .When they moved i thought the location was bad ,its still a bit of a secret.
Hi Doug :smt023 .

Do they give tax receipts for furniture donations? I have a childs bed suitable for a small room it has the drawers that fit underneath. all it needs is a new mattress
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

http://kelowna.cioc.ca/record/KNA0327 heres the link
I don't think they give receipts for furniture you can call, and ask ,I used to volunteer when i had More time and get store credit.
some one should make them a website
Peace be with you.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

They're not so great.
They are way to picky about the donations they will accept and rarely show up any where near the time they say they will for pickups.
There are LOTS of far better and far more deserving places to donate used goods to.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

They're not so great.
They are way to picky about the donations they will accept and rarely show up any where near the time they say they will for pickups.
There are LOTS of far better and far more deserving places to donate used goods to

rate0:
A dark cloud for share to .They are a volunteer group trying to organize as best they can.Perhaps your the fussy one.Real estate is a premium .Ratty old couches that don't sell and pea stained mattresses are of no help either.Its a place to donate resealable things not a place to dump your garbage .They have to pay to haul that crap away.They provide furniture and clothes to the poor and provide work for those in the community would have a hard time other wise .Who better?
Peace be with you.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

kibbs wrote:A dark cloud for share to .They are a volunteer group trying to organize as best they can.Perhaps your the fussy one.Real estate is a premium .Ratty old couches that don't sell and pea stained mattresses are of no help either.Its a place to donate resealable things not a place to dump your garbage .They have to pay to haul that crap away.They provide furniture and clothes to the poor and provide work for those in the community would have a hard time other wise .Who better?

Who better?
The Salvation Army, IODE Thrift, Pro Life Thrift, Bibles for Missions Thrift, the Gospel Mission
These volunteer organizations take ALL donations and are very thankful for them. They don't tell you that today they have lots of stoves or microwaves so they don't want yours. They greatfully take it all and anything they don't want they dispose of. When they make an appointment to come pick something up they show up on time not leave you hanging for three hours.
Sorry but there are better places out there.

PS; Lots of SHARE's socalled volunteers are actually conscripts/criminals who are sent there to serve their sentence of community service hours. These people are often neither friendly nor even polite
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

PS; Lots of SHARE's socalled volunteers are actually conscripts/criminals who are sent there to serve their sentence of community service hours. These people are often neither friendly nor even polite

All the regulars at share are awesome .The people who are there for on court order rarely interact with the public.
Thumbs up to the mission lots of junk for both.
Donations for people who carry signs of aborted fetuses, not so worthy
Bible pushers not so worthy
Do you really think any charity wants to pay to haul your garbage to the the dump .Do you really think you are helping then .Do the math.
Peace be with you.
valenej

Post by valenej »

I have found that many thrift stores are particular when taking donations. I've had a man come from the gospel mission to see a couch I wanted to give away and turn it down so it isn't just one store. Also, I'd rather give my money to a place that offers people help and a second chance instead of people that just want to protest in front of the hospital. As a person that frequents many thrift stores with my son, I'm happy to drive downtown to go to SHARE or the Women's Shelter Thrift Store. Those stores are a refreshing change from the Rultand ones!!! Take a drive if you haven't been!!!
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

kibbs wrote:
Bible pushers not so worthy
Do you really think any charity wants to pay to haul your garbage to the the dump .Do you really think you are helping then .Do the math.

Charities with religious overtones are not worthy IYO? We're talking about charities who not only help in this community but around the word too. How far does SHARE extend their giving hands?

kibbs wrote:yes didnt know it had a spelling thought it was a made up word.meanig kitschy junk

junk
noun
1.any old or discarded material, as metal, paper, or rags.
2.anything that is regarded as worthless, meaningless, or contemptible; trash, garbage.

So kibbs in your own words what SHARE has to offer for sale is junk(garbage) and they want people to pay them to take it away yet when someone offers them their junk(garbage) for free they are doing a dis-service by not just taking it directly to the dump themselves.
Don't worry I don't/won't bother SHARE with any of my junk as there are far better and far more greatful charities to donate to.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

cv23 wrote:PS; Lots of SHARE's socalled volunteers are actually conscripts/criminals who are sent there to serve their sentence of community service hours. These people are often neither friendly nor even polite

Really.

Hmmm. May be rethinking making the effort to get down there.
I haven't failed until I quit.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

not true consider the standard s of the source
Peace be with you.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Don't worry I don't/won't bother SHARE with any of my junk as there are far better and far more greatful charities to donate

Good they will make more money not hauling you garbage to the dump.
Peace be with you.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

kibbs wrote:The people who are there for on court order rarely interact with the public.

kibbs wrote:not true consider the standard s of the source

Yup the source is a questionable one
Last edited by cv23 on Feb 13th, 2013, 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I like SHARE and used to shop there when I lived in Rutland. I got some really good buys there. I know who Doug is, too. Buying at SHARE is like buying used stuff anywhere - you have to check it out really well to make sure it is clean, works right, all parts are there, etc etc. Its a great place to buy furniture, desks, bookcases, tables, patio furniture, garden tools ... and books.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

valenej wrote:I have found that many thrift stores are particular when taking donations. I've had a man come from the gospel mission to see a couch I wanted to give away and turn it down so it isn't just one store. Also, I'd rather give my money to a place that offers people help and a second chance instead of people that just want to protest in front of the hospital. As a person that frequents many thrift stores with my son, I'm happy to drive downtown to go to SHARE or the Women's Shelter Thrift Store. Those stores are a refreshing change from the Rultand ones!!! Take a drive if you haven't been!!!

Where is the Women's Shelter thrift store?
Have a bunch of clothes to take in
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.

Return to “Central Okanagan”