Geoff Mantler trial?

Static
Guru

Re: Geoff Mantler trial?

Post by Static »

Fancy wrote:Why don't you think so? The average citizen doesn't get the publicity for starters.

He deserves publicity. He was a cop. He broke the publics trust.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

The law is applicable to all equally. He's lost more than the average citizen.

The sentencing should reflect each individual situation. The cops are the closest thing we got to superman. You may like to think they are just Clark Kent but we all know their true identity. If it was super man we would have a necklace of kryptonite tied to his neck and send him to the bottom of the ocean for eternity.
Peace be with you.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Static wrote:He deserves publicity.

My point is the average citizen doesn't get the same treatment as Mantler did - he has been treated differently.
kibbs wrote:The sentencing should reflect each individual situation.
Within the confines of the law it will be.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

All I know is that im glad Buddys 15 min of fame is almost done.

In the meantime Im glad of the ruling. I mean he was just doing his job. Buddy was not cooperating and just to make the courts move more smoothly mantler had no choice but do the guilty plea.

Whats done is done....no one can can say anything else...whoever does..is just sucking air!
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

All I know is that im glad Buddys 15 min of fame is almost done.

In the meantime Im glad of the ruling. I mean he was just doing his job. Buddy was not cooperating and just to make the courts move more smoothly mantler had no choice but do the guilty plea.

Whats done is done....no one can can say anything else...whoever does..is just sucking air!

Buddy is just gettin started ,what job is that official RCMP field goal kicker? Watch the video this guy was gettin on his hands and knees when it happened. Props again Kelly Hayes. When he finally realized he was hooped he plead guilty to avoid jail time.
I will suck that sweet air now that this smelly pig is off the force.
Peace be with you.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

kibbs wrote:
The sentencing should reflect each individual situation. The cops are the closest thing we got to superman.

Cops are still human, not supermen, and they make mistakes. I doubt there is a single person on this board who hasn't hurt or endangered others.

Maybe your inattentiveness caused an accident that injured someone. Maybe you've driven drunk and could have killed many.

Mantler was just unlucky enough to get caught.

Prison is for people who are a danger to society, not someone like Mantler who is unlikely to ever be a problem again. It's stupid to incarcerate someone like Geoffrey for simply revenge and destroy his life and the lives of his family.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Believing he was dealing with an active shooter, Mantler turned right on KLO with his siren blaring and Tavares pulled over. Mantler knew he was breaching protocol by getting out of his car with no backup, but believed he was dealing with a double homicide, McDougall said.
Mantler side-stepped around the front of the truck and ordered Tavares out, telling him he'd shoot him if his hands went down. Tavares seemed slow getting to his knees and started to raise his hands slightly as he crouched down, he said.
"As soon as I saw his hands start to rise, my concern was whether he had a gun in his waistband and I'd be forced to shoot him. So I stepped forward and kicked him. I thought if I kicked him I would stun him and then I would jump him."
from the daily courier link.

It's stupid to incarcerate someone like Geoffrey for simply revenge and destroy his life and the lives of his family.
Mantler's life has been altered forever as well. Revenge isn't as sweet as some believe.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

One difference between Mantler and a civilian, is the public PAID to train him to Serve and PROTECT the public. He failed to do that in this arrest.
That is why he gets more publicity.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
melscarandtruckrental
Fledgling

Post by melscarandtruckrental »

Actually he didn't get treated better than the average citizen. It is very seldom the average citizen is jailed for a first assault conviction. Should he be held to higher standard because of his position? Probably but he did lose his job and that don't happen to the average citizen either.

The average citizen also dos not have to respond to a man discharging a firearm call either and I imagine most would _hit their pants if they had to.

While I am not condoning what he did, I would imagine that he was in a pretty highly charged situation and we should try to put ourselves in his position for minute.
Better to keep your mouth shut and have people think your an idiot than open it and confirm it !!!
yaktak
Fledgling

Post by yaktak »

I find it funny that Buddy, will not accept any responsibility for any of this. If he had chosen to not show up at his work place (which he was not employed at the time due to medical leave for a brain injury from a single vehicle motorcycle accident) with a shotgun in his truck, very angry at his ex wife. And instead just called lawyer to deal with Trudy, and stayed at home. None of this would have happened.

He was also under doctors orders at that time to not drive due to his medical condition.

It was his very bad decisions that day that set all this in motion. He frightened a few people that day.

I just wish Mantler would not have kicked him, this would all be a different story then. And the real truth about Buddy would be out.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Mel, these days even punching someone in the shoulder hard at most workplaces would put your job in jeopardy.

Buddy was welcome at any time to work on the bird problem. Mr T (employer) stated that.

If Mantler had not kicked him..it would have been probably sorted out mostly by later that day..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
CoconutBreath
Fledgling

Post by CoconutBreath »

19 minutes to go !!

Tick Tock....Tick Tock..... LoL.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

19 minutes to what? Ruling is expected to be handed down when court reconvenes at 9:30 a.m. Thursday.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
CoconutBreath
Fledgling

Post by CoconutBreath »

Doh ! What a drag. Thought it was today. Oh well. Be back tom.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Mel, these days even punching someone in the shoulder hard at most workplaces would put your job in jeopardy.

Buddy was welcome at any time to work on the bird problem. Mr T (employer) stated that.

If Mantler had not kicked him..it would have been probably sorted out mostly by later that day..

Police officers unlike most workers, have the right to use whatever force they feel necessary.

We don't know what Mantler knew about the bird problem. Probably nothing. At the time Mantler just knew B was firing shots and perhaps something about an ex-wife.

Mantler didn't have the luxury of taking his time and sorting things out. In hindsight, he made a mistake. At the time, he might have though B was dangerous.
All posts 100% moderator approved!

Return to “Central Okanagan”