Geoff Mantler trial?

GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Re: Geoff Mantler trial?

Post by GenuinelyInterested »

Raven1 wrote:Karma will be his jail sentence.

We all know now, that won't happen.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I'm ok with him not getting jail time...

Him NOT being a cop anymore is a start. If he can NEVER be one again ,or anything close to one, will be "fair enough " for me...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
diggerdick
Board Meister

Post by diggerdick »

Simply losing your job, And feeling a sense of disgrace Is not punishment For the act of violence he committed.

That's like a bank manager Simply Being fired for Committing armed robbery from his own bank.

But the sacred RCMP cow must be protected by Crown counsel the judge and the federal government.
Last edited by diggerdick on Apr 30th, 2013, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THINK for yourself - Dont be lead-
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

MAPearce wrote:I'm ok with him not getting jail time...

Him NOT being a cop anymore is a start. If he can NEVER be one again ,or anything close to one, will be "fair enough " for me...

He's not. Not even close. You can sleep better tonight haha
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

He's not. Not even close. You can sleep better tonight haha

Not till the RCMP fires the rest of the Mantlers.....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

diggerdick wrote:Simply losing your job, And feeling a sense of disgrace Is not punishment For the act of violence he committed.

That's like a bank manager Simply Being fired for Committing armed robbery from his own bank.

But the sacred RCMP cow must be protected by Crown counsel the judge and the federal government.

No, it would be like a bank manager being fired, charged, pleading guilty, having a criminal record and not being able to possess the tools to do his job for 18 months for stealing cash from the safe.

If you can provide a sentence of jail time for anyone whose first offence was an assault, then you would have grounds for your baseless assertion.
diggerdick
Board Meister

Post by diggerdick »

It boils down to this

Until substantial Criminal penalties are issued to RCMP officers For misconduct And serious criminal acts.
The RCMP will continue their downward spiral.

That must be what you Want goat boy.
THINK for yourself - Dont be lead-
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

diggerdick wrote:It boils down to this

Until substantial Criminal penalties are issued to RCMP officers For misconduct And serious criminal acts.

I want accountability, but that does not necessarily mean Criminal charges or jail time. I would say that all that Mantler has gone through to this point is a substantial penalty and would be a definite deterrent to others. Serving time in jail would be no more of a deterrent.

Now, not using Mantler as an example, I think it's also naive to think that the Police will never make mistakes and that sometimes those mistakes do not necessarily need to result in a criminal charge. The nature of the job demands high standards but perfection is not possible, especially when split second decisions need to be made. If you want to attract the best for the job, you must be able to accept some mistakes or those people will not touch that profession. Repeated mistakes are the ones that need to be dealt with the hardest.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

If he gets 18 months probation that would be more than most people would get. When I was younger and much more foolish, I got charged with assault, plead guilty & got 6 months probation and anger management classes. That was a first offense, and only one.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

Well said goatboy.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

Mtn Biker wrote:I am not surprised based on other such issues regarding RCMP. Four of them killed a person at Vancouver international and they didn't go to jail, why would Mantler? I think it's wrong he does not see time, but I know of others who have been assaulted much worse than a kick in the face and their attackers never got jail time either. It certainly says a lot about the Canadian justice system, the "above the law" idealism the RCMP continue to demonstrate, and that it's the same old boys club where they defend their own . . . right or wrong, innocent or not. We deserve better.

Here we go with the rhetoric. The officers in Vancouver used a Tazer, a tool designed to be non-lethal and one that each and every one of those officers had been "shocked" with during training. The officers in Vancouver were found to act with too much haste and also for lying. That's their crime (lying that is) not murder.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

diggerdick wrote:It boils down to this

Now substitute the word people instead of RCMP and this statement would be true.
An RCMP officer convicted of a crime should not have to endure any more punishment than any other person convicted of the same crime.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

correct,
most of us that would kick someone in the face today if we got into a fight would NEVER go to jail so why should he
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

the truth wrote:correct,
most of us that would kick someone in the face today if we got into a fight would NEVER go to jail so why should he

One reason would be that what happened was not even remotely related to a fight.
Black Dogs Matter
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

ya just a guy with mental health issues popping of a few rounds thats all, no big deal .lol
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Central Okanagan”