Geoff Mantler trial?

LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Geoff Mantler trial?

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

The guy is off the force. I think that's in the best interests of the public, and sufficient penalty.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

the truth wrote:ya just a guy with mental health issues popping of a few rounds thats all, no big deal .lol

Exactly. Buddy states on TV that he has seen a lot of stupid people and he's not one of them. Really? Firing a gun off because you got served separation papers isn't stupid?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

IMO, Mantler paid a huge price. Much more than any of us would have paid for a similar act.
All the nationwide negative notoriety, the shame with his family, friends, the force.
He's an Okanagan guy, and cant go anywhere around here without being recognized with that stigma attached to him.
His kids will be aware of this situation forever, thanks to the internet.
Losing his career, the local high profile court case.
Even changing his name wont help him escape it.
If any of us did that, the rest of us would never hear about it, and life would go on. Not so for him.

Don't get me wrong, I don't condone what he did, but he paid a huge price.
Cops, and everyone else, screw up all the time, but most of those screw ups are like a fogged mirror, and can easily be wiped clean.
Mantler's mirror was irreparably shattered.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

diggerdick wrote:Simply losing your job, And feeling a sense of disgrace Is not punishment For the act of violence he committed.

That's like a bank manager Simply Being fired for Committing armed robbery from his own bank.

But the sacred RCMP cow must be protected by Crown counsel the judge and the federal government.

There is nothing short of a rope slung over a sturdy tree branch that would satisfy you.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I tend to agree with you. There's simply no pleasing some, and way too many old gits around here, that have little else to amuse themselves with, besides griping about something.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Cops, and everyone else, screw up all the time, but most of those screw ups are like a fogged mirror, and can easily be wiped clean.
Mantler's mirror was irreparably shattered.

It's true that we all screw up Bman , BUT , we all aren't sworn to ,and trained to PROTECT the public.

Mantlers attitude at the time of the "arrest" was , IMO, not one of protection and his attitude during his trial was one of arrogance...

Most people do indeed pay a price for their "screw ups" that doesn't clean up , EVER . Mantler deserves what he has already got.

Banishment from holding a position of public trust...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Walking Wounded wrote:If he gets 18 months probation that would be more than most people would get. When I was younger and much more foolish, I got charged with assault, plead guilty & got 6 months probation and anger management classes. That was a first offense, and only one.

You didn't get jail? Did you lose your job or career too? What’s up with that?

Most cases on first offence end up with a sentence such as yours. Did you get a conditional discharge besides or did you end up with a Criminal Record?

Many times it further is considered your age, what you have ( job or no job ) was the incident isolated or provoked in anyway. Was the victim attacked randomly?

Obviously the Judge in your case realized you were no a true concern to public safety and likely would no re-offend.

I won't be suprised if a conditional discharge will be applied in this case too.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

MAPearce wrote:
Mantlers attitude at the time of the "arrest" was , IMO, not one of protection and his attitude during his trial was one of arrogance....

How did you come to this determination when he never spoke and didn't testify?
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

diggerdick wrote:Simply losing your job, And feeling a sense of disgrace Is not punishment For the act of violence he committed.

Personally, I'd much rather spend a few months in jail, than go through what Mantler has been put through these last 2 1/2 years.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

That's what you get pal. No sympathy. This guy is the example of what is wrong with the RCMP. A strong example must be made to discourage it from happening again. I blame all RCMP members who allowed this clown to operate like he did. This was the only time he was punished for what I believe was not his first offence. Let your hearts bleed for this scumbag if you like but I know if he was a biker none of you would have one drop of mercy.
When you step up to be a Mountie you have taken on the role of authority and will be held to a higher standard. When you breech the public trust your punishment should also reflect that higher standard.
He cannot be treated like an average citizen because he was not when he committed the crime. I wish he could spend some time being humbled among the general prison population.
Peace be with you.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

kibbs wrote:He cannot be treated like an average citizen because he was not when he committed the crime. I wish he could spend some time being humbled among the general prison population.

Exactly. I agree 100%.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The law is applicable to all equally. He's lost more than the average citizen.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Fancy wrote:The law is applicable to all equally. He's lost more than the average citizen.

I don't think he has. Plus, courts are able to make examples of people. Nearly every sentencing is different. I hope he gets has butt sued. Jail time would have been appropriate too IMO.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Why don't you think so? The average citizen doesn't get the publicity for starters.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Geoff Mantler asks for forgiveness

Geoff Mantler, dressed in a light suit, turned several times to face Buddy Tavares in the courtroom as he read from his apology.
Here are excerpts:
"Mr. Tavares, I stand before you in the court today, and I want you to know that I'm deeply sorry for what I did to you and the difficulties you and your family have had as a result of of my actions.
"I regret what I did on that day more than any other decision in my life. The fact that I regret it doesn't change the fact it happened and you're the one who got hurt.
"If I could (go in) a time machine and change any one decision in my life, I would go back to that day and change what did to you. I want you to know that in responding to that police call, if I had known then what I know now, I'm sure things would have worked out different.
"But again, the fact I wish things had worked out different doesn't change what happened. It doesn't change the fact that you were hurt, and I was the one who caused it. I accept that what I did was wrong, and for that I am truly sorry.
"I sincerely hope that you'll be able to accept this apology and in some way bring some closure to this terrible period. Sincerely."

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/front ... -5113.html

Return to “Central Okanagan”