Grow ops in your neighbourhood

Spocky
Fledgling

Re: Grow Ops in your neighborhood

Post by Spocky »

keeny wrote:So... a couple thousand kilometers, some lines in the sand and suddenly something is terrible, god awful, and anyone associated with it deserves to be thrown in a 10x6 cell for years? How completely logical!

No one is keeping you from migrating south of the border to enjoy WA's laws. However while you're here you have to adhere to the laws in this province. And that's all there is to that. Angola allows sex with children of 12 years of age, that doesn't mean that Canada should adopt the same law.

And hey, if anyone knows logic it's a Vulcan! :sunshine:

elrohir wrote:BC may legalize pot tomorrow, next year, or next century. The bottom line is that today it's illegal and anyone violating the law should have the book thrown at them.
I dislike this way.

That's too bad. Live with it or be branded a criminal.
It Is When People Forget God That Tyrants Forge Their Chains - Patrick Henry
It's the Marxists, Stupid!
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
james-d
Banned

Post by james-d »

Hey if you want to get stoned ,just make a left turn from hwy 97 in lake country onto ok center road. That POT stink has been hangin around in the air there for quite a while, Guess the cops can't figure out where it's coming from or their smellers are busted. LOL. Several of our friends have stated ,They could get high if they just made the turn and parked there for a few minutes. I think a five year old kid could follow the stench to it's source.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Spocky, you really need to start at the beginning and not the end.
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

WhatThe wrote:Spocky, you really need to start at the beginning and not the end.

And what does that mean? Give my blessing to criminal activity? Not in this Vulcan's lifetime and we can get to 160+ years of age! :dyinglaughing:
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

WhatThe wrote:Well, as usual, the point is completely missed. Just because the authority of the time classifies one as "criminal" does not necessarily make it as such. Law is not black and white and always up for revision; with a stroke of a pen one can be criminal one day and the next a patient. While we argue that point another troubled kid took his or her first step towards self destruction. Assigning an absolute to extremely complex and not always understood bredth and scope of an issue speaks of narrowness and ego.

Arguing the ethics of obeying the law while tens of thousands of people and their families are destroyed by that very law is disingenuous and arrogant. The very opposite effect the laws were written for. We know that we can assign a death sentence to this issue but it won't change anything, there will be those that still engage in addictive behaviour. Why is that? What possible rational reason would someone risk their life in the pursuit of drug use? Answer that question first because that is in the end where all of this starts, then we can come back to the ethics of law obeyment.

But, as someone already mentioned, I'm wasting my time arguing.

You are wasting your time arguing because you've already made up your mind that if you (your family/friends) want to do it "then damn the torpedos and full speed ahead". If you get thrown in jail, then the law - according to you - unjust. Regarding the bolded, I would posit that if those people were not so narcissistic, stubborn, or moronic (and capable of following law/choosing the common good over their own desires) then we would not have this problem.

A good part of the problem is that many people will not choose the greater good if it means they don't get what they want. Short-sighted selfishness, plain and simple (IMO).
I haven't failed until I quit.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

I'd further ask, when is the last time you read a Press story, Mom and Dad busted for the three MJ plants grown amongst their tomatoes?[/quote]

you don't even need marijuana got get busted.. you just need tomatoes
http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/ ... 4ceb9d854e
keeny
Fledgling

Post by keeny »

No one is keeping you from migrating south of the border to enjoy WA's laws. However while you're here you have to adhere to the laws in this province. And that's all there is to that. Angola allows sex with children of 12 years of age, that doesn't mean that Canada should adopt the same law.

Equating human consciousness and experimenting with it's different levels (commonly referred to as getting wasted, drunk, stoned, f'd up) with acts of pedophilia is silly, if not downright ludicrous. I understand the rationale of the statement, but you're comparing apples to oranges.

Why do boozers get to enjoy their poison ( fun fact, it actually IS poison ), regulated, sold in a dozen or more locations in any given town, safe when purchased legally and used responsibly, when the PROVEN safer alternative is shunned, merely because it's harder to control?

Any jo-shmo can drop a seed in the ground and water it, boom, marijuana. Perfectly safe in moderation, no chemicals, just pure nature. Oh my god, we can't have that! :skyisfalling:

Sure, that same jo-shmo could brew some bathtub brew, at the risk of going blind or dropping dead through it's consumption and some still do choose this route, but when is the last time you read about a 7000 liter home-brew operation being busted?

If they had rational reasons for the marijuana "laws" then maybe I could get behind them, support them in some sense but the reasons it stays in this stupid status quo is because of right wing politicians and their out-dated ideals, and religious fanatics with their even more out-dated ideas, and the governments refusal to admit they f***ed up.

As a result of aforementioned status quo, we're left with a REAL criminal (think HA) run black market, billions of tax dollars we could collect to fight the deficit and expand hospitals to help treat people suffering as a result of the nastier drugs side effects ( cigarettes, alcohol ), better educate our children, improve our province as a whole.

We can make whatever we want illegal, doesn't mean it's going to go away if there's even a remote demand for it, and in this case it's an overwhelming demand. If that were the case, no one would ever be raped, robbed, murdered. Or did I miss when all those things stopped happening when they were deemed illegal?

You can say BUT THE BOTTOM LINE IS IT ILLEGAL all you want, you're falling in line and accepting the hand that's dealt to you, instead of exercising your democrat rights to fight that which is unjust, that which is an absolute waste of police and government time (and $$$), that which is allowing REAL criminals (IE: murderers, extortionists, violent offenders) to fund their operations, that which creates criminals out of regular, every day folk ( ALL types smoke pot, all ages, professions, races).

By accepting marijuana laws as they stand now, you're giving up. Maybe legalization/decriminalization won't affect your life directly, if you're not someone who partakes. That is all fine and dandy, it is your body after all, and who am I to be concerned with what you put in there? But I ask if you would accept that fate, if tomorrow they criminalized the consumption, production and sale of any and all alcohol (or tobacco), save through a doctors permission for select illnesses? (which brings us to another can of worms, people abusing the current "legal" way to obtain pot in canada).

However, I must admit, 7000 plants crammed into a home is just ridiculous. Which brings us to the point that if it were legal, we wouldn't need such operations, as those who chose to do so could just plant enough for personal consumption in their yard/
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Legalize - don't legalize. I don't really care much any more. What bothers me as much as anything else is the "head in the sand" attitude that exists with the pro pot crown around the effects of THC on people. Research with credible, independant sources on the pharmacological effects of marihuana would leave most people with serious concerns about allowing their school age kids anywhere near it. Lethargy and learning... the two don't co-exist very well.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Seems to me that growing your own supply may be a long ways off. New regulations from the government on grow your own for medicinal purposes have changed. They have made it illegal and you must instead purchase from a licensed and government approved supplier and by the way you must pay about 10 times what it cost you now!!!!

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#87735
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

What a great plan the Govt. has come up with. Don't let the pot smokers grow their own. Let a Govt. outfit grow it. It will cost $ 8.80 a gram. I have run into several folks that are perscribed pot none of them had been employed or are independently wealthy.
The end of this new set of rules will be that these folks will now be going to the drugstore for their pot, and just take a wild guess who will be PAYING for it. :purefury:
Black Dogs Matter
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I don't care - I don't want to be the neighbour that has to pay for it - I say no to grow ops in my neighbourhood.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
keeny
Fledgling

Post by keeny »

Fancy wrote:I don't care - I don't want to be the neighbour that has to pay for it - I say no to grow ops in my neighbourhood.

Or say no to stupid laws that waste your tax dollars, by both jailing innocents and the busting/"disposal" of grow ops. I'd prefer there be more traffic cops as opposed to weed cops.
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

keeny wrote:Equating human consciousness and experimenting with it's different levels (commonly referred to as getting wasted, drunk, stoned, f'd up) with acts of pedophilia is silly, if not downright ludicrous. I understand the rationale of the statement, but you're comparing apples to oranges.

Not at all. I have no recollection of electing a keeny to be the sole individual above the law and I similarly do not remember when I had the choice of which laws I would obey.

"I'm going to accept laws against robbery, rape, extortion, arson, battery, and child pr0n,but I will not accept speeding limits, red lights, the obligation to pay taxes, or prohibitions against meth, cocaine, and heroin."

Don't like the law, become active in your community and change it. Until then you're only trying to justify criminal activity. Break the law: Go to jail. Have a nice time there. :sillygrin:
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Grow Ops in your neighborhood. For no effort on your part, you can get:

1. Rip off [ home invasions] involving guns. Yahoo, something exciting going on for a change;
2. Hydro By-Passes. Firetrucks and firemen!! More exciting times in the neighborhood;
3. Renters in the home who don't give a s^#t about the rest of the neighborhood. That can't be anything but positive;
4. Interesting strangers frequenting your area and they are mostly dopers. You can't beat that;
5. If you're lucky you might even be home when the HA or some other losers come by to announce the grow is now theirs;
6. There could even be an unannounced drive-by shooting because someone feels ripped off or ratted out;
7. You could be lucky neighbor suspected of tipping off the cops to get the place busted. Spice to your life or what!!
8. And the best case scenario is they expand the operation to include a small meth lab to increase their profits.

Coming to a neighborhood near you sometime soon!!!! Too funny eh?
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

Treblehook wrote:Grow Ops in your neighborhood. For no effort on your part, you can get:

1. Rip off [ home invasions] involving guns. Yahoo, something exciting going on for a change;
2. Hydro By-Passes. Firetrucks and firemen!! More exciting times in the neighborhood;
3. Renters in the home who don't give a s^#t about the rest of the neighborhood. That can't be anything but positive;
4. Interesting strangers frequenting your area and they are mostly dopers. You can't beat that;
5. If you're lucky you might even be home when the HA or some other losers come by to announce the grow is now theirs;
6. There could even be an unannounced drive-by shooting because someone feels ripped off or ratted out;
7. You could be lucky neighbor suspected of tipping off the cops to get the place busted. Spice to your life or what!!
8. And the best case scenario is they expand the operation to include a small meth lab to increase their profits.

Coming to a neighborhood near you sometime soon!!!! Too funny eh?

+1 :sunshine:

Return to “Central Okanagan”