Gas Prices

dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Re: Gas Prices

Post by dodgerdodge »

Oh come on lets stop this nonsense about market speculators and supply and demand blah blah. If you go back and read the original post the prices did not suddenly jump from where they were they actually went down then a few hours later they shot way up. What possible sensible explanation is there for a gas station to drop their price at 9am by 2 cents after having remained stable for some time then by afternoon they put them up 12 cents (10 from the previous days prices) oh and now they have dropped back down by 3 cents to 125.9.
We are being shafted.
Crazy Horse
Fledgling

Post by Crazy Horse »

dodgerdodge wrote:Oh come on lets stop this nonsense about market speculators and supply and demand blah blah. If you go back and read the original post the prices did not suddenly jump from where they were they actually went down then a few hours later they shot way up. What possible sensible explanation is there for a gas station to drop their price at 9am by 2 cents after having remained stable for some time then by afternoon they put them up 12 cents (10 from the previous days prices) oh and now they have dropped back down by 3 cents to 125.9.
We are being shafted.

Yes we are being shafted, that is not disputed. But, respectfully, you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to market conditions. It is all about supply and demand, or more accurately, perceived supply and demand.

As for the rapid fluctuations, you should watch Vancouver prices. They change 4 or 5 times a day, every day. The "reason" they will tell you is fierce competition, but there is a pattern. High price in the morning that gradually decreases until a low about 10 pm. It is designed to have people who have no choice but to buy gas in the am on their way to work pay the highest price, until late in the day it starts to fall. And the next morning it starts all over again. They are all in on it.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Crazy Horse wrote:
Yes we are being shafted, that is not disputed. But, respectfully, you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to market conditions. It is all about supply and demand, or more accurately, perceived supply and demand.

As for the rapid fluctuations, you should watch Vancouver prices. They change 4 or 5 times a day, every day. The "reason" they will tell you is fierce competition, but there is a pattern. High price in the morning that gradually decreases until a low about 10 pm. It is designed to have people who have no choice but to buy gas in the am on their way to work pay the highest price, until late in the day it starts to fall. And the next morning it starts all over again. They are all in on it.

So how does the Vancouver price fluctuation have anything to do with what happened here. It went down in the morning then up in the evening, a complete opposite to what you are saying.
Perceived supply and demand of gas itself locally? What happened yesterday to so seriously affect that supply/demand and consequently the price?
Crazy Horse
Fledgling

Post by Crazy Horse »

dodgerdodge wrote:
So how does the Vancouver price fluctuation have anything to do with what happened here. It went down in the morning then up in the evening, a complete opposite to what you are saying.
Perceived supply and demand of gas itself locally? What happened yesterday to so seriously affect that supply/demand and consequently the price?

The local fluctuations are the local "competition" conditions. These happen every day, but always return to about the same price next day. The supply and demand thing is behind the big spike. For that you have to look at wholesale price, which you can find online with Shell and Petro Canada. Right now gasoline wholesales for about .81 cents a liter. A month ago it was 69 or 70 cents. And I stress, this can be artificially driven by speculators buying like crazy because they think the price is going to go up in the next 3 months. That results in a perceived higher demand, which in turn makes prices rise when in fact there is no real shortage.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Canada Fuel Taxes by Province

Province Gasoline/ Lt.

Alberta 24.296¢ 5% GST
British Columbia 36.255¢ GST + Includes carbon tax of 5.56 ¢/L as of July 1, 2011 (scheduled to rise to 6.95 ¢/L on July 1, 2012).
Manitoba 27.067¢ GST Manitoba's PST does not apply to gasoline or diesel fuel.
New Brunswick 38.720¢ GST + PST
Newfoundland 41.922¢ GST + PST
Northwest Territories 27.352¢ GST
Nova Scotia 43.557¢ GST + PST
Ontario 39.575¢ GST + PST
Prince Edward Island 31.910¢ GST PST does not apply to gasoline or diesel fuel. Fuel tax is adjusted monthly and includes an amount equivalent to PEI's PST. The fuel tax is capped at 15.8%
Quebec 43.398¢ GST + QST of 14.5% is applied on top of sales amounts after the GST has been added.
Saskatchewan 30.571¢ GST PST does not apply to gasoline or diesel fuel.
Montreal 45.262¢ GST + PST + 1.5¢ Transit Tax.
Vancouver 45.543¢ GST + PST + 15¢ Transit Tax. Includes carbon tax of 5.56 ¢/L as of July 1, 2011
Victoria 39.728¢ GST + PST + 3.5¢ Transit Tax. Includes carbon tax of 5.56 ¢/L as of July 1, 2011
Yukon 22.852¢ GST + PST
Please note the above rates are meant as only guidelines of pump taxes and may not represent the full tax amount at the pump. Source: Compiled by GasBuddy Organization from various sources.
Cash is King

Post by Cash is King »

Booo Hoooo
:skyisfalling:

Jesus its the same thing year after year after year....

Price fixing, conspiracies, gouging, Oil Company executives sitting around a board room pondering how to screw the next 2 pennies out of your pockets.....Give me a BREAK!!!

Here's the bottom line...
The price at the pumps does not reflect the price of Oil today.
Sometimes other factors contribute to a rise in prices i.e. refinery shut downs, Political instability.
If you cant afford to pay the price then take the bus or walk, you could probably use the exercise anyways.
Shouldn't we be conscious of how much fossil fuel we burn anyway seeing as how were oh about 10-20years away from an irreversible greenhouse gas effect that will most likely change the face of our planet for our children. Maybe they should jack the price to 3 dollars a liter? Maybe that will inspire innovation??

I personally could care less, 1.40 1.50 1.85 bring it on!
Less people in my way when I'm trying to get from a-b

:discodance:
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Two-thirds of the cost of one gallon of gas comes from the price of crude.

We are all just pawns. I wish I could get by without a car. I'm glad i can afford it though. But we're being ripped off.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
bh
Fledgling

Post by bh »

Takin it easy ! wrote:Don't 'We" the people own the natural gas and oil in this Country ?

Short answer, No.
The oil companies are controlled by American interests. We have an obligation under NAFTA to supply the USA with as much oil as they need, before our needs.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

bh wrote:Short answer, No.
The oil companies are controlled by American interests. We have an obligation under NAFTA to supply the USA with as much oil as they need, before our needs.

Much of what is posted in this thread is conspiracy theorist nonsense.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
burner
Fledgling

Post by burner »

Her we go again, $131.9 I guess the oil companies must be low on funds!! :ohmygod:
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

burner wrote:Her we go again, $131.9 I guess the oil companies must be low on funds!! :ohmygod:

Really?....that's it :purefury:. .......I'm riding my horse into work tomorrow.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

burner wrote:Her we go again, $131.9 I guess the oil companies must be low on funds!! :ohmygod:

Its a repeat of last week i cannot believe it. As we headed down Harvey from Sexsmith i noticed that 2 stations had dropped to 124.9 (ok only a cent but still down) then when we got to Spall the Chevron and Esso were at 131.9. WTH?
It just doesn't make sense.
wolfen_one
Fledgling

Post by wolfen_one »

Supply and demand? what a load of crap!

Other than metro Vancouver our local prices are the highest I've seen on my travels around B.C.over the last ten years,whether it be up north, interior or the island. Owners of central OK stations must either be related or sleeping together(or both) because of how fast word travels from WK to Rutland when someone moves a penny :purefury:
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Some people need to take a chill pill. Funny how no one has a coronary every time the price of milk increases.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
wolfen_one
Fledgling

Post by wolfen_one »

Glacier wrote:Some people need to take a chill pill. Funny how no one has a coronary every time the price of milk increases.

You can shop around for the best prices on groceries. When milk goes up at IGA in Peachland it does not change within the hour to the exact same price at "every" store all the way to Winfield. Price fixing at it's finest IMO :purefury:

Return to “Central Okanagan”