Gas Prices

Ub2
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Gas Prices

Post by Ub2 »

wolfen_one wrote:Another question.....If oil companies are dictating the price at the pumps,why would the same company's stations in the same area not be the same price? For instance last week I saw Chevrons in Abbotsford,Mission,Maple Ridge and none were the same price even in the same town. PetroCan has a station in Mission that day in and day out sells for 7-12cents cheaper than anyone else($1.11 last week) How do they do this?

That's because they are not colluding like the Okanagan area stations are, as I have posted this previously.

I believe the prices are set from head office in the beginning of the day (and they seem to come out the same, and I could stand to be corrected), but during the day they phone each other, especially on the long weekends to keep price parity . . . I have witnessed this myself at the Petrocan on the old OK highway and 97. They had not realized anyone was left in the store, as I was leaving the washroom, I overheard them phoning the Shell down the street to find what their prices were, and according to the competition bureau, that is illegal. If they want to jump in a car or walk down the street to eyeball publicly posted prices is fine.

If you have 2 or more participants contacting each other in private adjusting prices . . . that is collusion.

Now all that one has to do is prove it.

With all the video capability on today's smart phones maybe someone can catch'em doing it!
Cash is King

Post by Cash is King »

Booo Hoooo
:skyisfalling:

Jesus its the same thing year after year after year....

Price fixing, conspiracies, gouging, Oil Company executives sitting around a board room pondering how to screw the next 2 pennies out of your pockets.....Give me a BREAK!!!

Here's the bottom line...
The price at the pumps does not reflect the price of Oil today.
Sometimes other factors contribute to a rise in prices i.e. refinery shut downs, Political instability.
If you cant afford to pay the price then take the bus or walk, you could probably use the exercise anyways.
Shouldn't we be conscious of how much fossil fuel we burn anyway seeing as how were oh about 10-20years away from an irreversible greenhouse gas effect that will most likely change the face of our planet for our children. Maybe they should jack the price to 3 dollars a liter? Maybe that will inspire innovation??

I personally could care less, 1.40 1.50 1.85 bring it on!
Less people in my way when I'm trying to get from a-b

:discodance:
wolfen_one
Fledgling

Post by wolfen_one »

Cash is King wrote:Booo Hoooo

Price fixing, conspiracies, gouging, Oil Company executives sitting around a board room pondering how to screw the next 2 pennies out of your pockets.....Give me a BREAK!!!

Sometimes other factors contribute to a rise in prices i.e. refinery shut downs, Political instability.
If you cant afford to pay the price then take the bus or walk, you could probably use the exercise anyways.
Shouldn't we be conscious of how much fossil fuel we burn anyway seeing as how were oh about 10-20years away from an irreversible greenhouse gas effect that will most likely change the face of our planet for our children. Maybe they should jack the price to 3 dollars a liter? Maybe that will inspire innovation??

Make sure your horse doesn't crap on the street when going from A to B because I hate driving through it with my Honda Civic :dyinglaughing:
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Cash is King wrote:Booo Hoooo

Ahhhhh the lifestyles of the rich and (not so) famous.
People are going to drive no matter what the price of fuel costs. Don't get your hopes up.
Unfortunately you'll probably see more crime so people can pay for the fuel though.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Cash is King wrote:

Shouldn't we be conscious of how much fossil fuel we burn anyway seeing as how were oh about 10-20years away from an irreversible greenhouse gas effect that will most likely change the face of our planet for our children.

And if you beleive that is the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth then you have been brainwashed. Even if the world gets hit with this often predicted but seldom proved beyond doubt irreversible greenhouse gas effect it won't be because of pollution from gasoline vehicles.
wolfen_one
Fledgling

Post by wolfen_one »

To those that think we are burning too much fossil fuels .....

Do you consider that fact that almost everything bought and sold here is shipped in by truck,train,ship, or airline?
If so ,do you still choose to buy those products? Saying you can get by without using much fuel is kind of hypocritical( IMO )if you are enjoying buying things that used all that fuel. Can you not see that the more fuel prices rise, the more YOU pay for goods and services? Not all people can get by without a car either,whether it's needed to commute to work or if there is a lack of other options.

So unless you are riding a goat, or a horse(contibuting more ozone depleting gas in it's own way LOL) , growing and raising all your own food, making your own clothes and building products.... YOU are getting "hosed at the pumps" too.
Display Guy

Post by Display Guy »

Lets cause a gas war! Spread the word to only buy Gas at Chevron period! After a month or so if word gets out to enough people one of the other stations will eventually bring their price down to get customers back . And then a gas war erupts. Be prepared to stay with Chevron for at least a month or longer while spreading the word, and do not buy elsewhere until another gas competitor drops their price below Chevrons.
United we can drive prices down! We control who gets our dollars.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

You're forgetting one thing: all that would happen is Chevron would increase their price since they have all the customers.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Display Guy

Post by Display Guy »

Glacier wrote:You're forgetting one thing: all that would happen is Chevron would increase their price since they have all the customers.

No comment!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Display Guy wrote:Lets cause a gas war! Spread the word to only buy Gas at Chevron period! After a month or so if word gets out to enough people one of the other stations will eventually bring their price down to get customers back . And then a gas war erupts. Be prepared to stay with Chevron for at least a month or longer while spreading the word, and do not buy elsewhere until another gas competitor drops their price below Chevrons.

Curious question: Does Chevron produce enough fuel products from their Burnaby Refinery to supply all there stations or do they purchase from distant company relative in Esso.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Glacier wrote:You're forgetting one thing: all that would happen is Chevron would increase their price since they have all the customers.

Display Guy wrote:No comment!

Hmmm, apparently works for Chevron.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Display Guy

Post by Display Guy »

Hmmm, apparently works for Chevron.[/quote]

No I could have choose Superstore or Esso or any other major gas station but for this to work you must pick one and stay with it!

I am posting a possible solution for people that are mad at price fixing! I am in retail and if I called my compiitors in town and said don't sell items XXX below $XXX amount Customers would be *bleep*.
Have you noticed every station in Kelowna is the exact same price within 1 cent?
That is called price fixing! Go to any other bigger town or Kamloops and you will see a different price at almost every station.
Thats called healthy competition!

Be part of the solution not the adding to the problem.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Gas prices are higher than they should be becauase there are too few companies competing, and so a "solution" that seeks to reduce of the number of companies competing will not work. If anything it's going to have the opposite effect.
Last edited by Glacier on Mar 18th, 2013, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Crazy Horse
Fledgling

Post by Crazy Horse »

Display Guy wrote:Lets cause a gas war! Spread the word to only buy Gas at Chevron period! After a month or so if word gets out to enough people one of the other stations will eventually bring their price down to get customers back . And then a gas war erupts. Be prepared to stay with Chevron for at least a month or longer while spreading the word, and do not buy elsewhere until another gas competitor drops their price below Chevrons.

This strategy does not work.
Crazy Horse
Fledgling

Post by Crazy Horse »

GordonH wrote:
Curious question: Does Chevron produce enough fuel products from their Burnaby Refinery to supply all there stations or do they purchase from distant company relative in Esso.

By agreement, or maybe even legislation, gas companies "share" wholesale gasoline. A Chevron station in 100 mile house might get gas from Chevron Burnaby,or Husky P.G.refineries, or via pipeline terminal in Kamloops, which is product of Petro Canada, Shell, and Esso.

Return to “Central Okanagan”