Gas Prices

Libelle
Guru

Re: Gas Prices

Post by Libelle »

Crazy Horse wrote:So much wrong information here I don't know where to begin.

Just keep one thing in mind; It is the oil company/refiners setting the prices. The gas station owner operators in most cases do not control the price, in fact most don't even own the gas they are selling. Non-existent anti competition laws have all but eliminated the owner operated gas stations.

You state the oil company/refiners set the prices, then you say that the gas station owners in most cases do not control the price. Umm. If the oil company/refiners set the price then that would leave no gas station owner to have control over their gas pricing. Or am I missing something?
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
Crazy Horse
Fledgling

Post by Crazy Horse »

Libelle wrote:
You state the oil company/refiners set the prices, then you say that the gas station owners in most cases do not control the price. Umm. If the oil company/refiners set the price then that would leave no gas station owner to have control over their gas pricing. Or am I missing something?

Nope, you've got it right. Usually the oil company tells the station what to set the price at. And in most cases the station just makes a flat rate per litre sold, no matter if the price is 1.18 or 1.29
There are a few exceptions, usually in small towns where the station owner still buys and sells his own gas. But this is becoming rare, the big companies have forced them out. The stations now make most of their money selling snacks and lotto and coffee etc.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

So from low Rack price of .637¢ on Jan 16, 2013 to high of .836¢ today thats jump .198¢ (Based on Kamloops rack prices, seen on the link below)

For more on this Kent Group daily rack price here http://www.kentmarketingservices.com/dn ... 34&mid=886
Last edited by GordonH on Feb 26th, 2013, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
wolfen_one
Fledgling

Post by wolfen_one »

Another question.....If oil companies are dictating the price at the pumps,why would the same company's stations in the same area not be the same price? For instance last week I saw Chevrons in Abbotsford,Mission,Maple Ridge and none were the same price even in the same town. PetroCan has a station in Mission that day in and day out sells for 7-12cents cheaper than anyone else($1.11 last week) How do they do this?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

wolfen_one wrote:Another question.....If oil companies are dictating the price at the pumps,why would the same company's stations in the same area not be the same price? For instance last week I saw Chevrons in Abbotsford,Mission,Maple Ridge and none were the same price even in the same town. PetroCan has a station in Mission that day in and day out sells for 7-12cents cheaper than anyone else($1.11 last week) How do they do this?

Station owners watch stations within eyesight of their own station and report to their 1-800 # of oil company they represent on any changes in their immediate area (meaning within eyesight). Then they will either get authorization # right-away to change the price or call later.

The other issue is are any of these places are within GRVD prices are higher due to transit tax in GVRD = Translink.
Taxes on Fuel in BC.jpg
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Here we go again. After steadily dropping one or two cents a week it reached 121.9 yesterday now its friggin jumped to 133.9!!
Thebrewhouse
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Thebrewhouse »

Catri wrote:It's called price fixing, but the oil companies do it in such a stealthy way that the only people who can see it going on are, well, most everyone really, but since politicians and bureaucrats have looked into it and apparently can't see it, it doesn't exist.

Couldn't agree more! Suncor/Petro Canada $500,000 fine last year for price fixing.. You wouldn't think that prices went up because it is spring break? It's called gouging.... All the big oil companies do it.

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/ ... 03460.html
deedub
Fledgling

Post by deedub »

Circulating on Facebook has been a thread called NO FILL 15TH . on the 14th , gas goes up 12 cents a liter .Interesting coincidence ?
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Came through Kamloops last night $1.219
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

super save on hwy 33 dipped as low as 118.9 yesterday before everything went up. late last night, bout 8:00 Superstore was still at 121.9 dont know what it is this morning though.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Post by GenuinelyInterested »

Gas always goes up before a long weekend. Easter is just two weeks away.
frellingdren
Fledgling

Post by frellingdren »

GenuinelyInterested wrote:Gas always goes up before a long weekend. Easter is just two weeks away.

:dyinglaughing:

Their lead time seems to be increasing, though. It used to go up on the Thursday before the long weekend, Wednesday if they were feeling especially greedy. At this rate soon it will be "Well, Canada Day is 9 months away! Better jack up those prices!"
I'm not even supposed to be here. I'm just "Crewman Number Six." I'm expendable. I'm the guy in the episode who dies to prove how serious the situation is. I've gotta get outta here.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Waiting to see what happens on first big camping long weekend of spring/summer season.

Interesting thing is Rack Price seen here has not gone up much......... Hmm, what's up with that.
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Post by GenuinelyInterested »

GenuinelyInterested wrote:Gas always goes up before a long weekend. Easter is just two weeks away.

:dyinglaughing:

frellingdren wrote:Their lead time seems to be increasing, though. It used to go up on the Thursday before the long weekend, Wednesday if they were feeling especially greedy. At this rate soon it will be "Well, Canada Day is 9 months away! Better jack up those prices!"

We have become accustomed to the "jacking-up" of prices prior to a long weekend and have compensated by filling up early. The gas companies have noticed this trend and have modified their tactics to allow for our premonitions.
IF everyone would just stay at home for the next 4 long weekends, this would throw a wrench into the gears of their predictions.

Return to “Central Okanagan”