Realtor welcome

rutland1
Board Meister

Re: Realtor welcome

Post by rutland1 »

Love Kelowna, been here 22yrs but I wouldn't call it " the best city, in the best country country in the world".
bipdl
Board Meister

Post by bipdl »

Here's a recipe for Frog Soup.

First, never drop the frog in preheated water... he'll immediately sense the temperature change and jump out.
Place the frog in cold water and turn up the heat. The frog won't notice the steadily rising temperature and will remain happily in the water until it is fully cooked.

Kelowna was a lovely, friendly "right-sized" city when I arrived in the Okanagan almost forty years ago. I fell in love with it and looked seriously at living there at the time, but circumstances landed me elsewhere. Now, whenever I have to come into Kelowna, I can't get out of the place fast enough. Kelowna has all the charm and sophistication of South Edmonton, without the cold and with a worse road network.

But, I suppose if a person's gotten used to it over the years...

Regardless of how some may choose to look at things, you still can't change factual evidence. Sorry.

I do, however, hope you (OP) find Kelowna lives up to what you and your wife hope it will be and are comfortable with that. Hope you like smoke!
'Authority' is not a reason.
The most universally violated human right is the Right To Be Treated With Dignity.
Pffft, you humans. It's amazing you've made it this far. - Prot
joer2012
Fledgling

Post by joer2012 »

Babbitman wrote:Its the greatest city in the greatest province in the greatest country on the planet to live.
Caint git better 'en that!

Of course, forget Florence, Madrid, Copenhagen, and that's just a few off the top of my head in Europe.

Good Lord......

:sunshine:
AB oil patch worker
Sunshine Tax Rebate recipient
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Babbitman wrote:Its the greatest city in the greatest province in the greatest country on the planet to live.
Caint git better 'en that!

joer2012 wrote:Of course, forget Florence, Madrid, Copenhagen, and that's just a few off the top of my head in Europe.

Good Lord......

:sunshine:

And you have lived in these cities?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
joer2012
Fledgling

Post by joer2012 »

Anonymous123 wrote:And you have lived in these cities?

6 months in Copenhagen. A year in Portland. Four summers in Miami. A year working in Russia, nearly a year in Greece and two summer tours of Australia.

So, yes*

* mostly
AB oil patch worker
Sunshine Tax Rebate recipient
kimjohn
Fledgling

Post by kimjohn »

Did the realtor mention any thing about a required Depreciation Report on the strata property which is now required by law. I asume a townhouse may fall into this catagory if there are more than 5 units?
Depreciation Reports are now required in British Columbia as per section 94 of the of the BC Strata Act and per section 6.2 of the regulations. Status: In effect (passed DECEMBER 14, 2011[/b]). the Srata Act includes a direction for funding the contingency reserve fund. The conttingency reserve fund study combines the deprecaition Report with financial projections and funding requirement over 30 years to help maintian the value of their investment and provide transparency to investors. Depreciation reports will become a tool a tool that most strata's building owners will aquire. The Strata Act includes requirements for Strata properties to maintian a contigency reserve fund for "COMMON EXPENSES THAT USALLY OCCUR LESS THAN ONCE A YEAR OR THAT USUALLY DO NOT OCCUR"
Under the new regulation, the report will contain: A PHYSICAL INVENTORY OF COMMON PROPERTY INCLUDING THE BUILDING SYSTEMS, REPAIR AND REPLACEMENT COSTS FOR COMMON EXPENSES PROJECTED OVER 30 YEARS.
Information can be found on the web under BC Strata Act and CHOA has good information on the process as well. Not every strata property may have these DP reports completed yet and have untill December 2013 to comply with the Act. Like other provinces, depreciation reports are now manditory unless the strata corp exempts themselves through a 3/4 vote at an annual or special meeting. (Over time this may not be a good stratagy for stratas from a marketing perspective)
The intent is to ensure that there are adiquate funds and or (min 25% of of annaul operating budget) in a reserve fund to replace roofs, windows, decks, hvac systems, elevators, site works, interior components, plumbing, electrical, roads etc and have the required funds to do so with out requiring specail levys.
Not all strata's would have this completed yet, however purchasers should be aware of this doucument when purchasing strata properties.
A new owner could purchase a strata property and become subject to a specail levy within a short time of owning the unit.
A freind was purchasing a condo on the island recently and discovered this DP report and realized that within the year she would be required to pay a 30,000.00 special levy. She was savy enough to negotate the price down by 30K on a 400 K unit. I suspect all the units in that particular condo will become subjected to the same situation (400 K-370k), IF everyone involved in selling makes thier clients aware of these reports and can interprete them, the level of protection for the owners and investors should improve over time. If the unit you purchased is 2-10 years old and there are no building issues with the complex you are probably fine for now. IF the building complex is 25 years plus old and there is no money in the reserve fund, this could be another story. i hope you were informed

:sunshine: :skyisfalling:

Return to “Central Okanagan”