Realtor welcome

Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: Realtor welcome

Post by Donald G »

The only thing that motivates the majority of real estate agents is the same thing that motivates a used car salesman ... the sale of the property. I have sold nine properties over the years and have had to contend with (a) an agent who tried to list my property for a notably low price in order to obtain it for a friend of hers (that she brought with her at the time of assessing my property), (b) an agent who "refused to allow their client to get into a bidding war" for one of my properties and (c) an agent that pushed the sale of of the property down the block (notably similar) ahead of mine because they had personally listed that property and stood to make both a listing and selling commission. Many agents profess to be but can not be acting in both the best interests of the buyer and seller. I also know of an instance where a real estate agent (and friends) bought the property of an elderly unsophisticated couple for a low price. Then immediately turned around and sold it at a nice profit. If you believe that the listing or selling agent are always going to act in YOUR best interests you are sadly mistaken. There are highly ethical and honest agents ... but, in my opinion, they are rare.
littlerope

Post by littlerope »

Thanks for all your replies. I believe there are grains of truth in every response. And again, after being treated so professionally by our realtor in the lower mainland we're very disappointed in our Kelowna agent. But as some viewers suggested, we're going to put this behind us and move forward. I'm looking forward to the months and years ahead in the beautiful Okanagan, meeting friendly people and enjoying nature. Thanks for the listen. :cursor:
verve_80
Fledgling

Post by verve_80 »

Wow, that is unusual behaviour! I sold my house privately and even though we didn't use a realtor, I made up a huge gift basket for the people that bought our house. I would think it's a common courtesy, especially if your job is selling houses. Put it behind you and, welcome to the Okanagan!!
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

littlerope wrote:I'm looking forward to the months and years ahead in the beautiful Okanagan, meeting friendly people and enjoying nature.

Good luck with that. Kelowna people aren't so friendly. The nature stuff is ok though.

Hope you are retired and moved there with a pile of cash - you're going to need it. :bethecoffee:
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

There are some good ones, some bad ones, and some who are completely indifferent once your money is in their pocket. Welcome to the Okanagan, and I hope that experience will be the worst one you have here. :sunshine:

I am surprised none of our resident realtors have chimed in, though.
I haven't failed until I quit.
joer2012
Fledgling

Post by joer2012 »

Sn0man wrote:Good luck with that. Kelowna people aren't so friendly.

Generally not, but once you find the good ones (who are there, of course, but in a really tiny a minority, in this snobby, stuck up, self-important community) you really have to stick with them and value them. 3 genuine long term friends is better than 100 acquaintances.

I think part of this unfriendliness and guarded fear of others and "outsiders" is due to Kelowna becoming such a temporary, transient society over the past couple decades.
AB oil patch worker
Sunshine Tax Rebate recipient
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

There's always a few rotten applies in every barrel. My realtors did the same. The hounded and pounded me and I thought they were working for the other side. I heard from these guys right up to the time when the deal was done and then whoosh, not a word since. And these were referred to me and so not guys right out of the yellow pages. I'm probably not on their referral list. Their time will come.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Welcome to the OK

I've sold a couple houses, lots of cars and motorcycles, all manner of things.
I have not stayed in contact with those people,

I guess to better myself the next time I sell something I should work on
being that persons boosum buddy and life-long friend..

I don't even remember the name of the realtor I dealt with in my
last home purchase 12 yrs. ago.
He was an awsome realtor.
If I go to list or buy again, I'll look up the paperwork and use him again.

Doesn't mean we're gonna hang together and go for wings and beer.

Not that it's out of the question but, not likely.
I doubt that it hurts his feelings as I know it doesn't hurt mine.

I don't understand the reasoning.
Could just be me though.
I'm not really sure what you were expecting??

Enjoy your new start here,
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
littlerope

Post by littlerope »

Point taken, he did his job, and i guess that's all we should expect. I think we were just spoiled by our last realtor. Thanks for your good wishes.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Sounds weird. May be you weren't such a good customer during the transaction. May be he has enough friends and not enough free swag for you. May be he lost money on your transaction and talking to you might bring up some bad memories. May be he knew your place was a grow-up, and he's not sure if you know about it by now or not. May be your wife is cheating on you with him, and he doesn't want to make it awkward by seeing you in public. May be it's his evil twin running around Kelowna.

Possibilities are endless.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Your note above about there being a rain of truth in each post is spot on littlerope except for the ones saying how few decent folk there are. I disagree with the comments about good people being hard to find in Kelowna.This community is no different than any other when you break down how many good people vs bad people.

The good weather is right around the corner. So my advice would be to start loosening up your golf swing and stay positive by advoiding the Castanet forum that brings out the trolls.^^^^^^
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

Well, yes Kelowna has the ATTITUDE.....
A reminder: Kelowna has a high unemployment rate.
The rule: If you can't do anything else, you sell???? real estate...That way you can drive a car you can't afford, and have income tax deductions and get deals on pre buy condos from the developer, flip them and hope to make a buck..or as it is now rent them out and ask atrocious rental prices...
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Mrmarvingardens wrote:Well, yes Kelowna has the ATTITUDE.....
A reminder: Kelowna has a high unemployment rate.
The rule: If you can't do anything else, you sell???? real estate...That way you can drive a car you can't afford, and have income tax deductions and get deals on pre buy condos from the developer, flip them and hope to make a buck..or as it is now rent them out and ask atrocious rental prices...

:coffeecanuck:
littlerope

Post by littlerope »

Steve-O wrote:Your note above about there being a rain of truth in each post is spot on littlerope except for the ones saying how few decent folk there are. I disagree with the comments about good people being hard to find in Kelowna.This community is no different than any other when you break down how many good people vs bad people.

The good weather is right around the corner. So my advice would be to start loosening up your golf swing and stay positive by advoiding the Castanet forum that brings out the trolls.^^^^^^

right on man funny you should say that...i just bought a set of golf clubs tonite after 8 years away from the game...and my little boat and motor are all tuned up and waiting for the fish to start biting. i'll be damned if i'll let one or two negative people form my opinion of this area. i waited 40 years since i first saw this area when i was 17 to move here and i can't wait for the good weather! cheers all! :spinball:
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

Yup, it will be July before you can really enjoy it. The weather up till then usually isn't that great. As long as there is snow in the hills it stays cool.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.

Return to “Central Okanagan”