Where is Kelly Hayes when we need him?

Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Where is Kelly Hayes when we need him?

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

Gone is Kelly Hayes from Castanet's news pages...and does it show.
Gone is the digger, who breaks news on local stories, (RCMP and Mantler)something for the most part the Kelowna media is reluctant to do.
Since his departure, the news pages are filled with press releases about local events,Health Shows and miracle cures, Associated press stories..mindless drivel, or lazy news. Are we soon to be faced with the Regional District Press releases,handouts from the local police ...unedited of course....and the followups asking for anyone who saw footprints in the snow at the scene of a local crime, which fills the pages of the local print media? With large type of course.
Worst story was a 5 minute nonsensical interview,in December between Wayne More and an eye witness who was on the scene of a tragic accident on Highway 97 where a Jeep went into the lake and the driver died.A terrible piece of journalism.Castanet news has been on a downhill slide ever since Hayes left...No sign of Grant Scott either..Lets hope they are now where their journalistic expertise is more valued.
Whyme2
Übergod

Re: Where is Kelly Hayes when we need him?

Post by Whyme2 »

Mrmarvingardens wrote:Gone is Kelly Hayes from Castanet's news pages...and does it show.
Gone is the digger, who breaks news on local stories, (RCMP and Mantler)something for the most part the Kelowna media is reluctant to do.
Since his departure, the news pages are filled with press releases about local events,Health Shows and miracle cures, Associated press stories..mindless drivel, or lazy news. Are we soon to be faced with the Regional District Press releases,handouts from the local police ...unedited of course....and the followups asking for anyone who saw footprints in the snow at the scene of a local crime, which fills the pages of the local print media? With large type of course.
Worst story was a 5 minute nonsensical interview,in December between Wayne More and an eye witness who was on the scene of a tragic accident on Highway 97 where a Jeep went into the lake and the driver died.A terrible piece of journalism.Castanet news has been on a downhill slide ever since Hayes left...No sign of Grant Scott either..Lets hope they are now where their journalistic expertise is more valued.

Sounds to me your looking for a job :dyinglaughing:
keeny
Fledgling

Post by keeny »

Whyme2 wrote:
Sounds to me your looking for a job :dyinglaughing:

Sounds to me you're looking for an ' and an E.

On topic... Oh no, castanet is now 10% less informative, what ever will we do? :skyisfalling:
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Someone is asking for that monotone, scruffy, unshaven, sloppy dressed, unprofessional misrepresentation to return?
Seriously?
TazzTheCat
Fledgling

Post by TazzTheCat »

Graham Adder wrote:Someone is asking for that monotone, scruffy, unshaven, sloppy dressed, unprofessional misrepresentation to return?
Seriously?

AHhaah!!! Agreed!!!!
The floggings will continue, until morale improves.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

Regional/small station TV news reports are often unintentional comedy gold.
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

Unshaven,scruffy? Please reread the post. My comments were about his ability to gather and report news, not what he looked like.
Albert Einstein, Ernest Hemingway, Dylan Thomas et al in appearance, were unshaven,scruffy, and I suppose unprofessional, if appearances were any criterion.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Mrmarvingardens wrote:Albert Einstein, Ernest Hemingway, Dylan Thomas et al in appearance, were unshaven,scruffy, and I suppose unprofessional, if appearances were any criterion.

PLEASE don't compare any of those great minds to Kellyroll.
He was far from the great gatherer of all news things worthy that you might think.
It's great that he has a fan.
I'm happy for him for that.
If you want to follow him, he's at CHBC now...you know...that winner of a channel.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

I too have noticed a decrease in the quality of the local news on this site since his departure. I was thinking that with a little time the newbys that have taken over would come around. I am beginning to have my doubts.
Last edited by KL3-Something on Feb 19th, 2013, 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

A daily report on forum activity would be entertaining, as long as it was done before the mods got to it. Hehe.
TazzTheCat
Fledgling

Post by TazzTheCat »

Wasn't Kelly Hayes the one who (and I am unsure of the details) recorded himself buying drugs and then reported on it? I may be wrong but his name and that story seem to ring a bell of some sort...in any case, a reporter who is that daft deserves our full and undivided bash-a-thon. And please, comparing him to anyone who actually is intelligent is in it-self, an unintelligent assumption (not saying you are unintellegent). He's a joke. Imo of course. Again, where's the emotican that punches itselt in the face! It would fit nicely here too.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Kelly Hayes is awesome, his ruff appearance puts people at ease to be interviewed.Note mr 7000 plants.You can tell he's old school, listening to police scanners asking tough questions .His skill is obvious .Moving to chbc brought him increased wealth I hope and is proof of his excellence.Carry on Mr, Hayes your hard work is noticed and appreciated.
To all who don't like him ,give yourself a kick in the head.
Peace be with you.
TazzTheCat
Fledgling

Post by TazzTheCat »

kibbs wrote: his ruff appearance puts people at ease to be interviewed..

Ruff Ruff is right...
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Mrmarvingardens wrote:Gone is Kelly Hayes from Castanet's news pages...and does it show.

Wait...what?

Local news is boring now because Kelly Hayes isn't around? Uh...maybe there just haven't been any recent takedowns like the Mantler incident recently??
As for him getting that particular story because he was such a great reporter who wasn't afraid to dig.....he lucked into running into the chase at that particular moment. It had nothing to do with grit or skill.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Hayes was the first witness called to the stand on Monday, and testified that he was driving to another assignment while listening to a police scanner when he heard chatter about a possible domestic incident at the Harvest Golf Club and a man firing a gun.

It seems like he was hard at work and heard the call.No so random.
Peace be with you.

Return to “Central Okanagan”