WANTED: Fresh ideas to make Penticton even better

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: WANTED: Fresh ideas to make Penticton even better

Post by fluffy »

acbarry wrote:The beach for about 3 months of the year. The rest of the year, there isn't much else

That's the meat of the matter isn't it? I think that's why we're seeing a lot of the summer tourist based businesses disappearing. Waterslides, campgrounds, the game farm, even night clubs are all feeling the pinch, those three months of hot business just aren't putting away enough nuts to make it through the winter. Something that goes year round would be the ticket. I think it would be worth exploring the tech sector, and secondary education as well. Say what you will about the retirement demographic, but construction geared towards them has been the best money maker this town has seen in at least the last couple of decades.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
acbarry

Post by acbarry »

fluffy wrote:
That's the meat of the matter isn't it? I think that's why we're seeing a lot of the summer tourist based businesses disappearing. Waterslides, campgrounds, the game farm, even night clubs are all feeling the pinch, those three months of hot business just aren't putting away enough nuts to make it through the winter. Something that goes year round would be the ticket. I think it would be worth exploring the tech sector, and secondary education as well. Say what you will about the retirement demographic, but construction geared towards them has been the best money maker this town has seen in at least the last couple of decades.

It's a double edge sword. Trying to bring the younger generations back here without anything to entice them. Having just come out of University by a few years, there isn't anything here that would attract me to come and live while in school. On a very tight budget, i would find it tough to entertain myself here.
Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

When I talked about technical and trades training people baulked at the idea because we have comparable universities in the area. Those institutions don`t specialize in music production and creation. Instead of fighting the music we should embrace it.
We have the venues and the post-secondary forum to support it. Music isn`t just about the young either. We also have private studios to enhance it. Your tax dollars have already gone into it (SOEC)...promote it.
We could be the Seattle of the North, Canada's New Orleans, for the young and old.

Return to “Central Okanagan”