Pet-eating cougars killed

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Pet-eating cougars killed

Post by Fancy »

I'll ask again - what makes you think relocation was an option when it hasn't worked in the past?
The only option I've come across other than killing them was putting them in a sanctuary.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

I agree the idea of a fine is tempting to send the message loud and clear
I also agree it's not necessary as they have learned the hard way
it's the rest of the "it won't happen to me" gang that is a concern
people caught with lures out should be fined for putting others at risk

we need cougar cops
sexy ones
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Why would you want someone fined for having their dog taken off their own porch?
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by baconbits »

If they knew that there was a wild animal in the area which had already killed family pets, then it's negligence in my opinion. They put themselves and the animals at risk.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Her 14-year-old dog was snatched on the front porch Saturday night

http://www.castanet.net/news/North-Okan ... ars-killed

I think there are more wild aniimals that don't attack pets on their back doorstep then do. Imposing a fine because a dog got taken from its' home is not solving the problem with a dangerous animal.
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by baconbits »

As the articles seems to indicate people in the town and even neighbours right beside each other knew about the cougars being around killing pets.

One would think that you would keep in eye on them a little better, maybe let them out to go to the bathroom, short walk whatever, but not leave them outside just sitting there as bait! If they did the above initially, the cats may have realized there wasn't any easy food and moved on. Unfortunately it was too late for these cats because they got used to the easy food because people did not take appropriate steps. These people should be fined for being ignorant.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

baconbits wrote:If they knew that there was a wild animal in the area which had already killed family pets, then it's negligence in my opinion. They put themselves and the animals at risk.

What if their 14 year old kid had been sitting on the porch texting his girlfriend, and a cougar grabbed, killed, and ate him? Would you fine the parents too?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Fancy wrote:Why would you want someone fined for having their dog taken off their own porch?

regard:

baconbits wrote:How about some pet owners take responsibility for their pets if you know you're neighbors pet got killed, probably a good idea to keep your's inside for a few days, wild animals will eventualy move out of an area if there is no source for food.

It's the same idiots who are careless with their garbage when it is known that there are wild animals in the area.

Same end result, the wild animal usual gets killed because it's habituated

I think these people should be fined!!!!!!!!!!!
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

...and people with wood framed houses should be fined for living in province known to have forest fires
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Rwede wrote:What if their 14 year old kid had been sitting on the porch texting his girlfriend, and a cougar grabbed, killed, and ate him? Would you fine the parents too?
Some people obviously would think it's a good idea - never mind that the animal already is comfortable around homes. Doesn't make sense to me.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

The cougars should have been re-located to Lumby for a week to clean up all the excess cats around here!

I am really tired of the lazy cat owners that let their cats roam around my neighbourhood.

The cats have decided that they all want to use my yard as an open sewer. When I complained to a couple of cat owners that I did not want the cats coming into my yard one of them called the RCMP and said I was going to kill the cats.
The RCMP had a good chuckle over that one, when he came to the door our pound rescued, spayed 8 year old HefALump cat sat there and looked at him. Our cat is where all cats in a city or town need to be - indoors.

If your cat is not licensed and allowed to wander around crapping in other peoples yards and killing song birds then it needs to be disposed of by cougars.

IMO!
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by baconbits »

Fancy wrote:Some people obviously would think it's a good idea - never mind that the animal already is comfortable around homes. Doesn't make sense to me.

Here's a question, do you not feel that pet owners should bare some responsibility to keep their pets indoors if it's known that a cougar is in the area hunting dogs?
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

:popcorn:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

baconbits wrote:Here's a question, do you not feel that pet owners should bare some responsibility to keep their pets indoors if it's known that a cougar is in the area hunting dogs?
You don't seem to get past that point. I have no sympathy for those that lost their pets due to negligence. However, those two cougars were trained by their mother. Taking away small pets would not make them scared of people - that's my point.

actively seek out places where people congregate because they have learned that where there are people, there is also food

So just hand the problem to another neighbourhood? Obviously not a solution. I couldn't even begin to think what farmers would have to say if presented with a fine.

"There was a human injury when a person separated a dog and a cougar.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

these cats needed to be offed
these pet owners needed to be more diligent

we all live and learn
these pet owners are no different
we all get to learn from this and other examples

I'm just glad no kids got chomped
now let's take the lessons away from this and learn to live around wildlife with more responsibility and accountability

Return to “Central Okanagan”