A coffee shop and the penny

Bretbaby
Übergod

Re: A coffe shop and the Penny

Post by Bretbaby »

my5cents wrote:I purchased some coffees etc at the Tim Hortons in Summerland and was asked for the extra 2 cents. I didn't really care . The clerk said "we're helping out getting rid of pennies". ? what the heck ?

For the children's foundation? I'm guessing they asked if you had it because their penny's go to their children's foundation to send kids to camp. They make about $1 million in pennys/change dropped into the drop boxes. Maybe they are asking because less people are dropping coins in there?

I agree with the OP that if a coffee is $1.78, why not round to $1.80, but I'm guessing that's actually the government and not Tim Horton's. Then again, we have a reloadable card so we pay for exactly what we have!!
my5cents
Guru

Re: A coffe shop and the Penny

Post by my5cents »

Bretbaby wrote:For the children's foundation? I'm guessing they asked if you had it because their penny's go to their children's foundation to send kids to camp. They make about $1 million in pennys/change dropped into the drop boxes. Maybe they are asking because less people are dropping coins in there?

I agree with the OP that if a coffee is $1.78, why not round to $1.80, but I'm guessing that's actually the government and not Tim Horton's. Then again, we have a reloadable card so we pay for exactly what we have!!

You know I'm thinking if that was the reason she would have said so.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: A coffee shop and the penny

Post by fluffy »

Most of the places I've been to where "rounding" takes place generally still quote the actual price and look after the rounding part when making change.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

-fluffy- wrote:Most of the places I've been to where "rounding" takes place generally still quote the actual price and look after the rounding part when making change.

Me too. She said, "$7.27", and I said "so that's $7.25 ?" And she said "no,,,,,
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Heres my two cents .Its not worth the time to discuss.We ended them cause they have lost there value.
Peace be with you.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Then you got hosed.

I popped out for a couple of quick purchases earlier. $3.59 at the first stop rounded up to $3.60, $4.47 at the second stop rounded down to $4.45. I won.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Just pay by plastic.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Captain Awesome wrote:Just pay by plastic.

Funny thing about that now......... some cash is (more to come) type of plastic. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

my5cents wrote:Me too. She said, "$7.27", and I said "so that's $7.25 ?" And she said "no,,,,,

I would have said "yes" and let her talk with her manager. But I'm a d*ck like that sometimes.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Captain Awesome wrote:Just pay by plastic.

That can't be a solution because it doesn't fit into the narrative about business always finding a way to screw us.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

ToddT wrote:I would have said "yes" and let her talk with her manager. But I'm a d*ck like that sometimes.

Gotta get your two cents worth in eh? :127:
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

ToddT wrote:I would have said "yes" and let her talk with her manager. But I'm a d*ck like that sometimes.

Actually so am I, perhaps I was in a mellow mood and on reflection I missed an opportunity and that's what's *bleep* me off.

I agree with Kibbs, if this is our biggest problem we're in great shape. Lets be thankful.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I can see making a remark of some sort. A penny or two is hardly worth making a big production over, but there is a principle involved. For a business that's rounding up at times when they should be rounding down just for the sake of putting a couple of cents in their pockets I see no harm in asking them to justify that to my face. I'm sure there would be more than a couple of cents worth of satisfaction in seeing how they try to justify what in effect is petty thievery.
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

Mant this to be a trivia post - If Timmies sells 3,000,000 cups of coffee a day, that's $60,000... a day. Big number for the little penny. Still say good riddance and the nickel could go too, just thought that was an interesting piece of trivia.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Glacier wrote:That can't be a solution because it doesn't fit into the narrative about business always finding a way to screw us.

I should have known better. My mistake!
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “Central Okanagan”