Electrical bill shocker

goalie
Übergod

Electrical bill shocker

Post by goalie »

If this keeps up Grow-ops won't be the only ones stealing power in BC.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-88122-33-.htm#88122
joer2012
Fledgling

Re: Electrical bill shocker

Post by joer2012 »

goalie wrote:If this keeps up Grow-ops won't be the only ones stealing power in BC.

Stunned how "normal" people can run up $500-800 utility bills. Just, amazes me.

As for the grow ops, whatever. It'll make up for some of the lost taxes on unearned income. No biggie.
AB oil patch worker
Sunshine Tax Rebate recipient
dconzatti
Fledgling

Post by dconzatti »

I have absolutely NO idea how people are getting these $500+ electricity bills, and what they're doing with it.

I have:
Hot tub
Plasma TV
2 tower computers (wifes and mine)
A server rack full of servers.
A 2100Sqft House full of lights.

and my bill last month was under $300 for 2 months. Now granted that my Hot water and Heat are natural gas and that costs me ~$50/month

On average I use about 40KWH during the winter and about 28KWH during the summer.

The part that does bother me, is in BC we should have far lower costs for electricity then residential customers are paying. at 12c for a kw/h we're paying about double what it's worth. Our carbon footprint for electricity is also incredibly small due to the number of hydroelectric dams used in BC. I know what we pay for electricity at work as I'm tasked with sustainability and cost saving measure, and it's about 1/3 what I pay at home.

So those of you with High bills, Please step up and be honest about what you really have going on?
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

I have two computers, electric hot water, and EIGHT ~100w bulbs running 16 hours per day for Lizards, and my bill is ~$150/mo.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

I also dont understand how people run up such large hydro bills>?? My hydro bill in the summer with central AC running all the time
full size in ground swimming Pool pump running all the time.2 computers on 24/7,washer/dryer,deepfreeze,2 fridges, all lites ,2 Tv systems,water sprinklers etc etc etc based on a 2900 sq ft house my hydro bill was 219.00 for a month(not equalized) so i just dont see the consumption and huge bills these guys are talking about?
Last edited by ticat900 on Feb 28th, 2013, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
diggerdick
Board Meister

Post by diggerdick »

Hold on to your electrical blankets folks because this is just the beginning. Two tiered billing and smart meters we'll have people washing clothes at two o'clock in the morning and wearing their longjohns the bed.
THINK for yourself - Dont be lead-
newmark

Post by newmark »

I am guessing the average person who has seen a substantial increase in their bill would rely on electric heat as this is a huge power draw. Either way the 2 tier billing system Fortis introduced last summer is nothing more than a huge cash grab.Thank god for my high efficiency wood insert.
callotto
Fledgling

Post by callotto »

We get bizarre bills from Fortis all the time. There is something wrong with the billing system and they roll
Them back only if you complain.
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

[quote="dconzatti"]I have absolutely NO idea how people are getting these $500+ electricity bills, and what they're doing with it.I have:
Hot tub
Plasma TV
2 tower computers (wifes and mine)
A server rack full of servers.
A 2100Sqft House full of lights.
and my bill last month was under $300 for 2 months. Now granted that my Hot water and Heat are natural gas and that costs me ~$50/month
On average I use about 40KWH during the winter and about 28KWH during the summer.
The part that does bother me, is in BC we should have far lower costs for electricity then residential customers are paying. at 12c for a kw/h we're paying about double what it's worth. Our carbon footprint for electricity is also incredibly small due to the number of hydroelectric dams used in BC. I know what we pay for electricity at work as I'm tasked with sustainability and cost saving measure, and it's about 1/3 what I pay at home.
So those of you with High bills, Please step up and be honest about what you really have going on?
You obviously at 28KWH per day do not have centrall AC as I burn about 70KWH Per day during hot spells
cricket11

Post by cricket11 »

Those of us who have these high electric bills heat our homes with electricity because we have no choice. No natural gas where we live, and note that I live in South East Kelowna, just 10 minutes from town.

My bill has gone through the roof. When I saw my latest bill I thought there was some sort of mistake. I am still in shock - the bill is still sitting on my desk as I cannot believe that is what I am being asked to pay.

The Liberals are going to get so severely clobbered in the next election it will be historic. One utterly stupid decision after the next. This grossly unfair change to electricity rates was the last straw for me. If the government can arbitrarily raise my electricity rates by 50% in one billing period then it is time to throw them out.
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

diggerdick wrote:Hold on to your electrical blankets folks because this is just the beginning. Two tiered billing and smart meters we'll have people washing clothes at two o'clock in the morning and wearing their longjohns the bed.

Not really ? In vernon we have had 2 tier billing for 3 years and smart meters for 8 months.I love the smart meter because i go online and it shows my daily consumption levels.kinda neat really
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

cricket11 wrote:Those of us who have these high electric bills heat our homes with electricity because we have no choice. No natural gas where we live, and note that I live in South East Kelowna, just 10 minutes from town.

My bill has gone through the roof. When I saw my latest bill I thought there was some sort of mistake. I am still in shock - the bill is still sitting on my desk as I cannot believe that is what I am being asked to pay.

The Liberals are going to get so severely clobbered in the next election it will be historic. One utterly stupid decision after the next. This grossly unfair change to electricity rates was the last straw for me. If the government can arbitrarily raise my electricity rates by 50% in one billing period then it is time to throw them out.

Beleive YOU me (as the saying goes) They did not raise your rates 50% in one billing period.DID NOT HAPPEN.
cricket11

Post by cricket11 »

Why do you people posting on this discussion automatically assume that those of us who have high electricity bills are up to no good? We heat our homes with electricity because *we have no choice* - no natural gas where we are, it's that simple!

This two tier scam has *nothing* to do with conservation and *everything* to do with the Liberals trying to buy votes. Problem is I and others who have to heat our homes with electricity are paying for this vote buying campaign. And we are paying dearly for it. It disgusts me. The Liberal party disgusts me and I cannot wait to see them kicked from here to Pluto in the next election.
cricket11

Post by cricket11 »

ticat900 wrote:Beleive YOU me (as the saying goes) They did not raise your rates 50% in one billing period.DID NOT HAPPEN.

Yes it was not 50%, getting ahead of myself, more like 35%. Feel better?
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

What are the different rates ?

Mine:

Step 1: 666 kW.h @ $0.06800 /kW.h
Step 2: 878 kW.h @ $0.10190 /kW.h
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.

Return to “Central Okanagan”