Military policing our streets

Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Re: Military policing our streets

Post by Nebula »

SurplusElect wrote:They gave the police AR-15's a few months ago.

Now a tank.

1. It is not a tank. If you are not sure what a tank is you should perhaps do some research.
2. I am not aware of RCMP being given AR-15s. Was that all of them? Some of them? In any case, even with AR-15s the police can be easily outgunned.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

It takes 5-10 deaths of civilians at a intersection before "money is spent" improving safety.

It takes ZERO deaths of a police officer for them to spend money protecting them from hypothetical (and unrealistic) situations.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

This entire topic is just ridiculous to debate over. And interestingly enough, when I read the article, I knew that this would be here.

First, this is not a tank. It is an armoured vehicle. It is not a vehicle of war, as the only capabilities it has are defensive in nature - meaning, the only thing it does is protect those who are inside better.

The purpose of this vehicle is the same as an armoured vehicle owned and used by Brinks armoured car services. Apparently, in your opinion, it is okay for a private corporation to own and use this, but it shouldn't be allowed for the RCMP ERT - which actively participates in much more dangerous circumstances than an armoured car security guard would.

You make allegations that it is "military" and that the police are becoming "soldiers." This is also false, because one does not become military by having access to defensive equipment. To be a soldier, you are trained like one, and even the RCMP ERT is not.

You are doing nothing but fear monger based on the appearance of this vehicle, and not even based on it's capabilities. This is a laughable cop bashing thread at best.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Absolutely no mention of how much this vehicle cost us taxpayers.
Didn't the Kelowna detachment want more officers?
Likely this vehicle cost more to purchase and maintain than the extra officers we supposedly need.
I wonder what the fuel bill would be to drive this beast to just Kamloops and back and then what the scheduled maintanance cost would be upon its return from such a long trip
watchkat
Übergod

Post by watchkat »

These are not military BUT are well trained Emergency Response personnel and they are well trained. Watching the riots in Vancouver and the subversives that were clothed in black and causing major incidents in Vancouver and Toronto, we are naive to think that the bike cop in the park and driving the gators are all we need anymore. Interesting training done quietly and no one complained.
http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/news/151965235.html

The drive-by at the Grand, the disappearance of persons related to drugs and others that appear to be in the wrong places (Derbyshire perhaps?) all point to a change in the society of the Okanagan Valley.

Cars with gang members with "tools of their trade" heading to other towns to "control" the market share, bodies dumped on backroads, and drug labs and underground bunkers are not the valley of yesteryear.

If it is here and used for keeping our police force ready without having to contact the attorney general to ask for military help when this vehicle and trained officers can handle the situation, then we should be happy. This vehicle is not "ours".
It will be based out of Kelowna for use by the Southeast District Emergency Response Team. We have the advantage of it being immediately available but it like helicopters etc go where needed within the district.

The attitude that they are military because they have a protected armoured vehicle is small minded in my opinion. All emergency personnel must practice whether fire, ambulance/medics or police.
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

SurplusElect wrote:They gave the police AR-15's a few months ago.

Now a tank.

Now you have a problem with them having rifles too? Are you against them having shotguns?

I realize that the term "tank" has much more dramatic effect than armoured vehicle and helps add sensationalism to your fear mongering but no police force in Canada operates tanks.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

SurplusElect wrote:Police are paid to take risks.

To what extent? It's about acceptable risk.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

SurplusElect wrote:It takes 5-10 deaths of civilians at a intersection before "money is spent" improving safety.

It takes ZERO deaths of a police officer for them to spend money protecting them from hypothetical (and unrealistic) situations.

It is easier to forecast situations that the police will find themselves in (this case, ERT) than it is to protect every single intersection in the entire country.

It's called being proactive - equipping your staff with what they will need, before they need it.

I bet when the Canadian Forces went to Afghanistan and they still wore their unserviceable green uniform, you thought that was understandable that we didn't already issue them camo uniforms "because they didn't need them," right?
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

For the record I said "tank" liberally/loosely.

Its not on tracks, it doesn't have a main cannon. BUT PLEASE JUMP ALL OVER IT.

For the record - cite a single case in Canada where the police needed to be protected from explosions/artillery and heavy machine gun fire - where a APC would be useful (such as in a theater of war where they are used).
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

watchkat wrote:The drive-by at the Grand, the disappearance of persons related to drugs and others that appear to be in the wrong places (Derbyshire perhaps?) all point to a change in the society of the Okanagan Valley.

Cars with gang members with "tools of their trade" heading to other towns to "control" the market share, bodies dumped on backroads, and drug labs and underground bunkers are not the valley of yesteryear.

So instead of ending the war on drugs - put military equipment on our streets to save people from addiction?

Do they plan on parking the APC infront of drive-bys BEFORE they happen? That's good police work!
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Personal attack removed. Trip
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

SurplusElect wrote:For the record I said "tank" liberally/loosely.

I don't buy that. I think you used the word 'tank' to make the TAV seem scarier than it really is.

For the record - cite a single case in Canada where the police needed to be protected from explosions/artillery and heavy machine gun fire - where a APC would be useful (such as in a theater of war where they are used).

Why only cite explosions, artillery and heavy machine gun fire? What about being sprayed by semiautomatic gunfire? What about being shot at with a big-ass shotgun? Why try to limit the conversation to only military situations?
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

FreeRights wrote:It's called being proactive - equipping your staff with what they will need, before they need it.

Cite a example, non-hyopthetical.
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

Nebula wrote:Define a civilian tool and why you would define it as such.

SurplusElect wrote:Do your own research, the information and classification is readily available.

Read "I have no idea and don't want to let facts get in the way of a good fear mongering".

SurplusElect wrote:More and more "military equipment" is being brought into "civilian use".

But I'm just mongering fear - not the police who say they need equipment but cant cite a single incident that shows the justification for it.

Who said they can't cite a single incident to justify it? Is this a conclusion you arrived at because no one from RCMP headquaters has logged on to Castanet to join this "discussion"?
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

SurplusElect wrote:Cite a example, non-hyopthetical.

July 31, 2012. Suspects began firing at a police cruiser in West Kelowna. A chase began that ended up on Westside Road, where the suspects continued to fire at police.

Return to “Central Okanagan”