Our Water

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Our Water

Post by Ken7 »

Logitack wrote:maybe you should call the local MLA? i am sure she would be more than happy to help out!

I am going to wait for that email. If I have no answers I'm going to send a email to Christy Clark who just recently apointed a new Environmental Minister.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

August 4, 2013 surprise. I see two CO in uniform walking the beach at Raymer Bay. Can you believe it, first contact with land owner regarding this complaint.

This is very sad. I spoke with them and they have yet to speak to vessel owner. I gave them directions how to get to the house, once again.

Not certain who to speak to, in order to get some action.

My original report was June 12, soon to be two months and still sunk.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

September 4, 2013

Vessel still sunk.

No reply from the Minister of Environment. Not sure what one in that position does, as it appears they are not concerned about our water.

Will be writing Christy Clark, maybe in her riding something will be done, lets hope!!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I may be mistaken, but I think DWK was given the powers by the DFO. Did you contact them?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

grammafreddy wrote:I may be mistaken, but I think DWK was given the powers by the DFO. Did you contact them?

I have sent an email to District of WestKelowna. I received an email back from a Bylaw Officer who has made a formal complaint to the Ministry of Environment.

Other then hiring a removal myself I just don't know when or how this will ever stop. It is sad, I consider water to be the most valuable natural resource British Columbia or the World has.

The BC Ministry of Environment is nothing more then an entity, which makes us all feel warm and fuzzy until you report something to them.

Then you find out, it isn't all that
popster

Post by popster »

Ken,

Did you happen to catch this on the CBC?? Sounds like this property owner is facing similar problems as you are... I think this is a complete disgrace. The Ministry of Environment should be removing these boats immediately and charging the owners for the complete cost of the clean up.

http://www.cbc.ca/daybreaksouth/2013/09 ... ummerland/
popster

Post by popster »

And here is a third example of an abandoned boat polluting our lake...
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=51930
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

This truly saddens me.

While speaking to the Conservation Officers (Not sure why they call them that now) I learned that Hope she Floats is possibly shooting black water into our lake. Currently located in Peachland area near Rattlesnake Island.

A pile driver who has gone into receivership or bankrupt has sunk his barge by Shearwater. That is the orange buoy floating off shore. He was spoken to and was going to pull it out, and then two weeks later said, it's not in his interest.

Then the sunken 40 footer I originally was concerned with.

I have written the Environment Minister Mary Polak and expressed my concerns about the lack of attention to my complaint. I did not receive even a confirmation that my concerns would be looked into.

I then wrote to Christy Clark, as she is the MLA in West Kelowna and further our Elected Premier. She also failed to even make the effort to acknowledge my complaint.

Who to turn to next, I'm stuck and unsure why they do not deal with these pollution problems.

Water should be considered as our number one concern as it is our most valued natural resource in my opinion.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Graphite wrote:Did Castanet ever cover this story

Not to my knowledge.

Very sad ...... Just noticed Christy brought cheque to minor hockey. Maybe she could bring a cheque to Ministry of Environment so thay can protect our waters!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I received a response today and everything is OK. It would appear if you have old boat or trailer it's OK to sink it in the lake. That according to the higher authorities isn't polluting our waters.

This is the meat of the letter below.

In June 2013, Ministry of Environment staff inspected the partially sunken house boat and adjacent area in response to a public complaint that the house boat was leaking fuel into Okanagan Lake. Based on visual observations, ministry staff confirmed that the houseboat was not leaking any fluids and hence it did not pose an imminent risk to human health or the environment.

The Spill Reporting Regulation establishes protocols for reporting unauthorized release of substances into the environment; however, no further action under the regulation or the Environmental Management Act was warranted, as during the site visit no discharge from the house boat to the environment was observed.

Sincerely,

W.H. (Wes) SHOEMAKER
Deputy Minister

It saddens me to think that leaving foreign objects sunk in our lakes is OK.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

I wonder if they also checked to see if the sewage holding tanks were leaking?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Anonymous123 wrote:I wonder if they also checked to see if the sewage holding tanks were leaking?

The solution to pollution is dilution. By the time they got to the site which was about two months, I'm sure it had diluted itself and floated away. I just don't understand why we let people throw or leave stuff like this in our fresh waters..which won't be fresh for long if we continue!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I have contacted every level of Government. I have been passed back and forth by the Federal people who are believed to be responsible for our waters. No one has a answer and it appears there is nothing that can stop you from discarding your boat in a lake in BC.

Very sad! The boat that got my attention, it's still sitting sunk on the dock.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

If you can track down someone like Kelly Hayes they might be happy to embarrass the Govt. into doing something.
Black Dogs Matter
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

dogspoiler wrote:If you can track down someone like Kelly Hayes they might be happy to embarrass the Govt. into doing something.

It is sad, the voice of one or two has no impact. I recently sent a letter to Chief Louis as I'd like to speak with him. No reply, unless he is away. I believe the only way to make this change or stop is once our water can't be drank then the Mayors might put a plan in action and try and get the government to make laws to stop this dumping.

Why can you dump a boat in the lake, but you can't just dump it in the bush?

Return to “Central Okanagan”