Kelowna Rail Closure

TheDudeAbides

Re: Kelowna Rail Closure

Post by TheDudeAbides »

GordonH wrote:
So do you have knowledge that Kelowna Tolko mill is closing down, when will this happen and does Fortis know about this.

What does Fortis have to do with it? Ever hear of power lines? They can run those just about anywhere I hear. Of course I could be wrong. Maybe they need to build coal plants right downtown because they haven't really figured out how to do it around here yet.
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

Contrary to many beliefs, Sun-Rype is not going anywhere either. Last year it was said that their operations were going to move south of the border. CHBC did a tour of the plant a few weeks ago and the staff said that this could not be farther from the truth. In other words, both Sun-Rype and Tolko will be remaining for the foreseeable future. I realize that most people want Kelowna to have nothing to do with industry and focus exclusively on wineries, but I sure as heck don't. Probably a majority of those people are newcomers to Kelowna as well. Could that be a coincidence? Kelowna needs something productive. I certainly hope that the next mayor and council will feel that way too!

The industrial park in the North End is actually fairly new. The area in the vicinity of the courthouse and the library was the original industrial lands with many canneries and packinghouses. The former Simpsons Sawmill was located where Stuart Park, City Hall and the Memorial Arena are today. Queensway was once called Mill Avenue because it was the southern boundary of the old mill.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:So do you have knowledge that Kelowna Tolko mill is closing down, when will this happen and does Fortis know about this.

TheDudeAbides wrote:What does Fortis have to do with it? Ever hear of power lines? They can run those just about anywhere I hear. Of course I could be wrong. Maybe they need to build coal plants right downtown because they haven't really figured out how to do it around here yet.

Since Tolko & Fortis have (or will have) an agreement worth millions over next decade or more. Tolko is going to provide electricity to Fortis from their generation plant at the mill in Kelowna.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
TheDudeAbides

Post by TheDudeAbides »

GordonH wrote:

Since Tolko & Fortis have (or will have) an agreement worth millions over next decade or more. Tolko is going to provide electricity to Fortis from their generation plant at the mill in Kelowna.

Once again, is there some magic fairy dust that requires that to be done downtown? I'm guessing the cost to move the mill is fairly small compared to operating costs. They have other plants around too. Their world does not begin and end with having to be in downtown Kelowna.

Not sure what sort of deal they have with the city but it could be as simple as their property taxes going up. I would imagine that property is fairly valuable now and if the city assessed and billed it accordingly then it would become a factor.
Last edited by TheDudeAbides on Jul 15th, 2014, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Since Tolko & Fortis have (or will have) an agreement worth millions over next decade or more. Tolko is going to provide electricity to Fortis from their generation plant at the mill in Kelowna.

TheDudeAbides wrote:Once again, is there some magic fairy dust that requires that to be done downtown? I'm guessing the cost to move the mill is fairly small compared to operating costs. They have other plants around too. Their world does not begin and end with having to be in downtown Kelowna

Tolko is going nowhere until they want to close it down. So if you live in one of those condo's suck it up and live with it.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

you realize that mill is the third or fourth largest employer in the valley and they are located where they are because of the lake where they store logs
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

TheDudeAbides wrote: If it doesn't make sense any more get rid of it.

[It's unusual] to get fired from a union job in the forest industry. How long ago were you terminated? Have you found alternate employment yet?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

TheDudeAbides wrote:Once again, is there some magic fairy dust that requires that to be done downtown? I'm guessing the cost to move the mill is fairly small compared to operating costs. They have other plants around too. Their world does not begin and end with having to be in downtown Kelowna.

Not sure what sort of deal they have with the city but it could be as simple as their property taxes going up. I would imagine that property is fairly valuable now and if the city assessed and billed it accordingly then it would become a factor.

You amuse me :) I'm really trying to understand why the mill offends you so . . . would you please explain?
I haven't failed until I quit.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

The more you yap, the less informed you appear..
Just for giggles, price out 20-25 acres near this town...
WHEN you get done that, price out putting up two or three 100,000 sq ft buildings.....

Just for starters...
Last edited by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown on Jul 16th, 2014, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

TheDudeAbides wrote:Once again, is there some magic fairy dust that requires that to be done downtown? I'm guessing the cost to move the mill is fairly small compared to operating costs. They have other plants around too. Their world does not begin and end with having to be in downtown Kelowna.

Not being downtown will certainly negatively effect this plan which the City is 100% behind.
http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/99 ... own-energy
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I guess Merritt is finding their sawmill handy as well,plans are to build a 235 million dollar powerplant beside it. My guess is that one is staying a while as well..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

selling electricity to BCHydro is very profitable.
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

The old rail yard behind Sun Rype is becoming the most monumental eyesore. I know that CN has given up on Kelowna, but until the land is sold, they should be required to perform at least an abbreviated form of upkeep. First of all, that old run down security office has been broken into and WILL be torched someday. There have been transients sleeping in several spots and cutting holes in the fence for a shortcut. There are piles of old decaying rail ties which is another inviting thing for somebody to torch. There is garbage everywhere (mostly from the transients) and pretty much anything you can imagine is part of that garbage. Its a terrible situation. Elsewhere on the line, we have lots of graffiti covered signs, loads more evidence of transients and weeds that are almost waist high. I also found a bundle of brand new railway ties that were never even installed! Kelowna's current railway saga is ridiculous and its a pretty big shame that it had to come to this! My opinion is unchanged though: I want to see trains along there again and my opinion is going to remain that way. There is absolutely positively no way I will be okay with what is going on here.
Wave101
Fledgling

Post by Wave101 »

There wont be any more trains along that section. It is soon to be purchased for bypass and second bridge.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Wave101 wrote: It is soon to be purchased for bypass and second bridge.

LOL
A second coming will occur before a second crossing materializes.

Return to “Central Okanagan”